Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Default Did Damien kick Lisa out of the band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienrice.com
Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows.
I can't read that as anything other than Damien decided that it was time for her to leave.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
cille
creepycute

There are quite a few threads about this already
Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
flash
Eskimo Baby

yep. it sounds so.
and the fact that the Damien rice and remaining mates sung a memorable version of Cheers Darlin' in Paris, after a glass of wine and a cigarette?
I can not really figure out how she could have left in the middle of the tour otherwise...unless she just got crazy....
she has been with him from the start, from the very beginning, always on his side.
the reason of having left to pursue a solo career also does not sound convincing, all others member have been working at 'their own' career for years, happily without having to quit the band for that. Even young Fionn Regan managed to come out with his own album in a very short time.
Why Lisa would not have done in a similar way before????
I just listened to the boot beautifully made by Manu~ on the performance in Paris. First performance of the band without Lisa. Damien is supernatural, sounds like he has been unleashed....

anyway, as someone said in another forum, sometime is good for bands to split up...

But I considered myself very very lucky for having seen ALL band playing in Australia, was awesome. Maybe they just got unhappy as they left beautiful Oz....maybe....

flash
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Accidental Baby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash
and the fact that the Damien rice and remaining mates sung a memorable version of Cheers Darlin' in Paris, after a glass of wine and a cigarette?
Well he kinda does that... all the time

Apart from that, do we really need more threads about this?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
LuciferSam
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash
yep. it sounds so.
I can not really figure out how she could have left in the middle of the tour otherwise...unless she just got crazy....
she has been with him from the start, from the very beginning, always on his side.
the reason of having left to pursue a solo career also does not sound convincing, all others member have been working at 'their own' career for years, happily without having to quit the band for that. Even young Fionn Regan managed to come out with his own album in a very short time.
Why Lisa would not have done in a similar way before????
I just listened to the boot beautifully made by Manu~ on the performance in Paris. First performance of the band without Lisa. Damien is supernatural, sounds like he has been unleashed....

anyway, as someone said in another forum, sometime is good for bands to split up...

But I considered myself very very lucky for having seen ALL band playing in Australia, was awesome. Maybe they just got unhappy as they left beautiful Oz....maybe....

flash
I saw the band perform without Lisa last year in California. It was absolutely not the same show, and definitely lacked the bound that Lisa provided. She's an important piece, without her - I can't say I really enjoy the band the same way. Far as I'm concerned it goes from being worth a $50 ticket to being worth a $5 ticket without her.

I wish I felt differently.
LuciferSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed
I can't read that as anything other than Damien decided that it was time for her to leave.
The way you should read it is:

Damien wants everyone to think he kicked Lisa out of the band.

Whether that's true or not cannot be determined from a press release.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
Heretic At Large
Eskimo Contextualist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d

Mario, you seem to be the lone voice of reason.
Heretic At Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
Delonelyman
Eskimo Friend

Quote:

Delonelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 AM   #9
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

mario is spot on so dunno why you're having a go at him.

if damien didnt want it to read as it did he would have tiptoed around the fact lisa has left the band and said "for personal reasons" or "other commitments"

but it reads "Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows."

so it seems it was his choice on lisa leaving by the press release.

dont know why it needs discussion tho, im half excited she's gone..

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

So your interpretation is that Damien has decided to spin this and make it look like it was his decision... that leads to a few possibilities:

1) Damien kicked lisa out of the band and is just telling it like it is.
2) Damien wants people to think that he kicked her out, but that's not exactly true.

If "2" is the case, I can think of a couple of reasons to do this...
2a) Damien is massively arrogant and wants to hide the fact that she left.
2b) Damien wants to prevent any "walking out" backlash from fans against Lisa, to avoid harming her forthcoming solo career.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
2b) Damien wants to prevent any "walking out" backlash from fans against Lisa, to avoid harming her forthcoming solo career.
dont think lisa is getting any walking out backlash, which is a good thing.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
So your interpretation is that Damien has decided to spin this and make it look like it was his decision... that leads to a few possibilities:

1) Damien kicked lisa out of the band and is just telling it like it is.
2) Damien wants people to think that he kicked her out, but that's not exactly true.

Spin might be a strong word, but other than that I agree with you 100% as far as what I quoted.

When you go to the next step of the analysis, as to why he wants people to believe he fired Lisa, I don't think we could ever know what that's about. But spite could be a leading candidate there, for what it's worth. I mean, to make that statement is to take a pretty big slap at Lisa.

Basically, my feeling is that if he's telling it like it is, he should've been vague about the cause to make it sound more professional. And if he's just trying to give the impression he kicked her out, he's being off the charts immature.

Last edited by mario_d; 03-29-2007 at 03:34 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:19 PM   #13
Lady
Eskimo Friend

oh my god!

you lot could find conspiracy in "Good morning" .
stop over-analysing. weird
Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
eudaemonia
Eskimo Baby

Do I dare?

Oh hell with it, read this if you want (5th paragraph) and make up your own mind. I don't know the girl from Eve but I found it when I was searching for something else.

Honestly, sometimes too much information is just that: too much.
eudaemonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #15
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eudaemonia
Do I dare?

Oh hell with it, read this if you want (5th paragraph) and make up your own mind. I don't know the girl from Eve but I found it when I was searching for something else.

Honestly, sometimes too much information is just that: too much.
This text is a bit messed up... (hell, there are more 'love''s in it than in the extended version of I Remember) I would have preferred a less joycean text with more facts and no additional mysteries. This will only fuel the rumour commando.

I have to tell that I don't really care who kicked who or why. The only thing I'd like to know is what happened in Munich, only because it was the gig I attended and this 'leaving hours before the concert' thing is really strange.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #16
Nine
Inuit

God, I think we should all just move on and forget about all this Lisa lark. The truth is, whoever's fault it is or isn't, makes no difference to the situation, and isn't really any of our business. Whilst it's distressing, it's just something that we need to stop speculating about now, because it's all getting ridiculous and won't solve anything. We just have to let it be.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #17
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
God, I think we should all just move on and forget about all this Lisa lark. The truth is, whoever's fault it is or isn't, makes no difference to the situation, and isn't really any of our business. Whilst it's distressing, it's just something that we need to stop speculating about now, because it's all getting ridiculous and won't solve anything. We just have to let it be.
Indeed, im sure that in time a journalist will ask him about it and he'll just say "Ive always said that the band isnt fixed in stone and people can come and go" and then we can all move on. There hasnt got to be a gossipy seedy answer for every question.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote