Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-06-2003, 11:15 PM   #1
RedPerspective
Eskimo Baby

Saw Damien in Asheville, NC last night. WOW. And I tell ya, it was an adventure getting there... Drove through snow and rain in the mountains, and arrived literally ONE MINUTE before he took the stage. Got home at 3:30 AM. Unbelievably worth it.

So he's still fighting the cold, but you couldn't tell until the encore, when he turned the 2nd verse of "The Professor" over to Lisa (odd but wonderful). And he proceeded to tell the crowd how he was "trying to get healthy" on this tour, so he stopped drinking and smoking... "and then I got sick." A pause. "So I'm drinking tonight." Lisa brought him a bottle of wine, and off we went into "Cheers Darlin." Between his cold medicine and several glasses of wine, I'm not sure he was entirely faking the drunk act by the end of that one. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

What else... He opened with an intense solo version of "Sand," and proceeded to break two strings immediately! So the rest of the band did an incredibly moody version of "Then Go" while he changed strings. "Delicate" was near perfect, as was "Cold Water," and "Face" sounded much better than any version I've heard so far... very aggressive and rockin' now. Oh yeah, and Vyvienne is adorable. "Seven Nation Army" was classic.

So I slept too late this morning, but it was well worth it. Hopefully the band did the same. Get well soon, Damien, and come back to NC next time around!

setlist (probably not exact): Sand / Then Go / Delicate / Volcano / Cannonball / Amie / Woman Like A Man / Older Chests /Seven Nation Army / Face / Cold Water> Eskimo > Hallelujah / I Remember

ENCORE: The Professor / The Blower's Daughter / Cheers Darlin > Volcano (reggae) > Be My Husband > Cheers Darlin

www.RedPerspective.com
RedPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
Krystian
Eskimo Regular

thanks for postingthat Rich, I wish I was able to go [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img] Edited by: Krystian

http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 12:17 AM   #3
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Wow thanks for that post, Such wonderful details you have.. It sounds like a fabulous show.. I feel so bad that he is still sick, that is funny that he tried to become a little healthier, stopped drinking and got sick.. There you go, I'll go have a night cap right now[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Cheers and thanks for the lovely recap.. Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:31 AM   #4
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for the review, too bad he's been under the weather but sounds like he is still putting on great shows!
Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 AM   #5
rubthabuddha
Eskimo Friend

yeah, the asheville show was the best show that i have seen damo and crew put on. damien's voice was strong throughout the untill the encore where you could hear him coughing between each verse and his voice cracking and straining. still, the spirit was there and it made you respect him even more for not cuttingthe encore short or even cancelling any shows.

the setlist above is pretty accurate, except that they did play 9 Crimes. but i don't know where that fits in with the rest.
rubthabuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #6
alfred
Eskimo Baby

yes, i'm glad you added that he also did "nine crimes" in the encore...it was so beautiful.absolutely incredible. also, vyv gave us a little bit of "i will survive" before she walked off stage. good stuff. nine crimes...beautiful. Edited by: alfred
alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 03:25 PM   #7
neverbird
Eskimo Baby

yeah, his voice cracked a little in the encore, but DANG! that good and sick too! incredible show! [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
neverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:14 PM   #8
alfred
Eskimo Baby

SUCH an amazing show! wasn't he in the best mood? so much fun
alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 11:49 PM   #9
neverbird
Eskimo Baby

what did you guys think about Cannonball? i was on stage right behind the big speaker and i couldn't hear the guitar part at all for the first part of the song. was it where i was standing? he adjusted his amp about half way through. after that i heard it better.

i thought Older Chests was to die for! and i loved the way Eskimo was performed.

yeah, alfred, he was in a great mood [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]Edited by: neverbird
Old 12-08-2003, 02:36 AM   #10
JPruitt
Eskimo Baby

yeah, this show was simply amazing. i too, drove through snow and rain to get there, and ended up getting in at 3:30. Great show... great atmosphere.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:11 PM   #11
coachb
Eskimo Baby

I know everyone's been saying that it was such an amazing show, but I have to throw my own review in too. I've been to a lot of shows, but the Asheville show was literally the best show I've ever been to. My friends and I (who I took to the show, they had never even heard Damien) loved it so much that we drove the 8 hours to Washington D.C. to see him the next night. I can't wait til he comes around again. By the way - does anyone know if the Asheville show got taped? I really hope so...
Old 12-09-2003, 01:00 AM   #12
JPruitt
Eskimo Baby

i was almost going to tape it, but I was so concerned about the weather that i went off and left my MDR here. I really hope somebody taped it.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #13
neverbird
Eskimo Baby

yeah, i do too. i was told by a friend in OK that i better, but i was in a rush to get there. left everything. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img] Edited by: neverbird