Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Beauseant
Little green

Default Damien on drugs?

Well, I just had a long drive the other day, and while I heard some random Damo playlist, I noticed he kind of talked about drags directly in Professor and Woman like a man.
Two days later I even heard some weird theory that Eskimo is about cocaine

So I just wonder, do you think he ever did drugs?
Beauseant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Thumbs down

Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Ha never thought that about Eskimo but you're totally right.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
P8ge
Eskimo Baby

I think you've cracked it.

Tiredness fuels empty thoughts
I find myself disposed
Brightness fills empty space
In search of inspiration
Harder now with higher speed
Washing in on top of me
So I look to my eskimo friend
I look to my eskimo friend
I look to my eskimo friend
When I'm down, down, down.

If that doesn't sound like a drug song, I don't know what does.
P8ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
P8ge
Eskimo Baby

Need to investigate real meanings of "Blower's daughter", "coconut skins" (skins a slang for rolling paper), and "me, my yoke, and I". (yoke is slang for ecstasy).
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
P8ge
Eskimo Baby

Need to investigate real meanings of "Blower's daughter", "coconut skins" (skins a slang for rolling paper), and "me, my yoke, and I". (yoke is slang for ecstasy).
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Beauseant
Little green

Eskimo is definitely not a song about drugs to my opinion, it's too lucid (and beautiful) :P
It's just that I think he did some weed at some period of his life, and I wonder if I was the only one who thinks that.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
genia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauseant View Post
Eskimo is definitely not a song about drugs to my opinion, it's too lucid (and beautiful) :P
It's just that I think he did some weed at some period of his life, and I wonder if I was the only one who thinks that.
Weed? That's a drug?...wow I know a lot of junkies then..
genia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I think he still does. I never looked at it that way before until reading the lyrics. One of my favorite songs is Lou Reed's 'It's such a perfect day.' I didn't know it was about heroin until someone told me. I don't think Eskimo friends is about drugs, just frustration, but I don't know.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8ge View Post
Nice point of view... but I don't think so..
Old 09-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

Im sure he 'did' some weed..and probably does occaisionally , as many people from lawyers to musicians to myself, do.

This is not the 1st time eskimo friends has been mentioned (in forum) in reference to cocaine..he always describes(ed) his 'eskimo friends' in regards to his freedom to write and not being pressured by record companies...this was a song, i believe , the Juniper record co said was too depressing and wanted more upbeat heavy songs and he got pissed off and was last straw

but wtf does eskimo mean if not cocaine?. Cocaine makes sense, anything else seems 'made up'

i didnt know 'yoke' was slang for ecstacy
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P8ge View Post
^
urban dictionary :

Yoke

Irish street slang for the drug Ecstasy

interesting as it is Irish slang, so no doubt about that, which i didnt know
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

All those words you think are about drugs - they're really about his penis.... I thought that was a well established fact by now
Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Beauseant
Little green

Now the title "The greatest bastard" is all clear!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Now the title "The greatest bastard" is all clear!
Riiiight?
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

i thought as I've read this thread that this is like talking about whether the world is round
Jane Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I'm certain he probably smokes(d) more mellowing things like pot, hash, banana peels etc. but highly doubt the more destructive/ dangerous stuff like cocaine, heroin or ecstasy, so these theories are mainly based on the fact that certain words are slang for more than one thing. Cille was joking that every song is about his cock but MMY&I surely is and since a "yoke" is another name for a steering column, the only reason to think otherwise is if he intended it as a less-literal secondary meaning ("masturbation is like a drug").

As far as why he chose "Eskimo" friend: apparently he was frustrated by having to write catchy pop songs for Juniper and when he half threw the guitar in anger it hit a framed picture and knocked it down. When he surveyed the damage he saw the photo which was of a dear friend of his who was wearing a heavy winter coat with a hood around her face (I imagine somewhat similar to Tuesday Weld on Matthew Sweet's classic "Girlfriend" album cover) and her smile calmed him down to the point where he felt relaxed enough to start over. When he began strumming in the relaxed state he said the whole song just came out all at once in a matter of a few minutes.

The only reason Damo called her The "Blower's" Daughter was that her father was his clarinet teacher. Not sure what other references could be in question unless you think "I can't take my eyes off of you" was indicative of being on something.

Last edited by Spamlet; 09-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Beauseant
Little green

Spamlet, I agree, I really don't think he did the heavier drugs...
But it was a rather interesting comment to read! I didn't know the part with the picture in the Eskimo story, so thank you

And I thought the speculation about TBD was a humorous one!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #19
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

how the hell is it possible that I take a summer's absence from this site and fall upon this horse ****e of a thread lmao!!!

I am dying inside!!

guys...............as a 50 year old fairly baked individual let me try to explain a couple things:

- as I have mentioned several times before the dude is a stoner of the highest standard possible...the paulliac of the best vintage.... again I should know
- he like i as well enjoys a bit of the drink
- stupidity + stupidity = more stupidity
- and so if any of you don't think white powder or little pills ever made their way to oral passages or whatever orifice I think you need to go back to your kum bay ya sessions (or however you spell it lol)

not that any of this really matters.....but when I examine the early years, the time off, the recent tour, the personal interaction with and without fans, it all kind of makes some sense

god bless the man...........but don't hold up false gods I guess is all I have been saying.....he is a god in and of himself.....I thought he proved that this summer which is what I came for here until i got distracted lol!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

It always comes back to this question - what does Eskimo mean? I personally don't think it's about drugs, but I'm probably in the minority.. and yoke isn't just slang for ecstasy, it means like a thingy or whatchamacallit in general. That one is clearly about Damien's penis.

But that's not to say that Damien doesn't indulge, it's no big secret that he does. I never considered him to be "on drugs", though. That sounds too extreme. Like most folks of a certain generation, he just happens to have more than martinis to resort to, to take the edge off at the end of the day.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Quote:
He definitely smokes weed, I know that much.

Last edited by Cerque; 09-16-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote