Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 04-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

Default practice

i teach myself guitar and so far basically i've learned chords by learning songs i know this may seem very limited, so thought i'd come ask you lot (who may have been able to afford guitar lessons unlike me) to what methods of practice you were taught as i really want to progress as a guitar player but just don't know how to go about it (besides practice, but practice what ?)
Old 04-03-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Colbarr
Eskimo Welcomer

I taught my self aswell using a book with a few basic chords. I got alot of chords for songs from the internet. www.Chordfind.com should be helpful. also this link Here has an explanation of chord types and alot of chords and the different ways they can be played.

Check these out, Moesley.

Chairman of the Welcoming Comittee.
Colbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

if you really want to progress, look up "intervals" and look up how to construct major and minor chords. from there try to apply that to your guitar finding positions where you can fret those notes. then step it up in what chords you learn like...major7th dom7 min 7...and then just keep building and finding different ways to play those same notes up and down the neck.

but for now i would say the biggest thing that will help you is a metronome! its something that keeps a steady clicking beat that you can set how fast it clicks. practice strumming to that thing when you practice and youll sound better every day. good rhythm is what can really make or break a guitarist...whether you're a lead guitarist or rhythm or play riffs to that beat.

hope that helps
cello_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
*Killian*
If Carlsberg Did Eskimos

im not going to lessons, i just download tabs from songs i wanna learn off the net and learn chords and stuff that way
Old 04-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
niallo
Eskimo Regular

i think the books can be helpful for chords, strumming and finger pickin,thats how i done it,but if you could find another guitarist you will learn a hell of a lot faster and the more advanced stuff wont be so frightening.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:38 PM   #6
dramaking
King of Pain

i was in a music school. we learned there some scales like the pentatonic...another thing you should learn is that you can name each tone on each fret....
Old 04-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
shane_b
Eskimo Regular

i'm working on scales and knowing the name of each tone, i know E so far
Old 04-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
kel :)
arty eskimo

yeah, i leaned a lot by a book, and then friends that were more advanced helped a lot too!!
kel :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
walker
The Masked Eskimo

Wink

I took private lessons for about five years. I learned a lot from that and got pretty good. I would recommend learning some chords, practice quick scales, and maybe take a theory course. Music theory really helped because you learn why and when to use a certain note. Or just do a search on the Circle of fifths and memorize that. Anyways just listen to what other people tell you, practice and eventually your own style will emerge and voila!
walker is offline   Reply With Quote