Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
The Pink Girly
the long eskimo

i h8 it! so annoyin! if every1 nos about him it wont b so special n he'll b on the radio all the time. at 1st wen i got his album i wanted every1 2 no how amazin he is but now i think hes 2 sacred to b played everywhere! HIS MUSIC SHUD NOT B OVER PLAYED! HE IS NOT USHER.

o sori bwt that! it reeli stresses me out!

ne comments?

when you're driving with the brakes on, when you're swimming with your boots on, it's hard to say you love someone...
it's hard to say you don't
~del amitri
The Pink Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

this is not a text site!

hello,
times move on. nothing you can do about progress. share his talent.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
MelodyMakerMan
Eskimo Regular

let it play, it's hardly usher music... you can never get enough damo!!
MelodyMakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I'm sure you play it all day long... the more you hear it the better it gets.

And wouldn't the world be a better place if he was on the radio all the time? People are always giving out that the radio plays crap... well here's where that can change.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
cille
creepycute

i think it's nicer sharing great music with others than keeping it to myself. and i discovered david gray because of tv commercials. that discovery prolly changed the course of my life!
Old 07-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #6
Michelle Joey
Eskimo Psychologist

Hearing Damien on the radio is always good. His music has really helped me in life and if there are other people out there who can be touched by his music I think that's brilliant.

Please can you not talk in text please?
But I haven't decided yet if you're the moon or a star.
Michelle Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

Funny thing about the UK, we love our actors, musicians, sports stars and then when they become successful we think they are sell-outs...

It's a small country mentality, and Damo should be the most popular singer/songwriter in the world and good luck to him... As long as he continues to produce what his heart and mind vomits, all the better.

http://www.myspace.com/justinthorne
http://www.myspace.com/jtintheshadows
Juzzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:19 PM   #8
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

I'm one of those strange folk...I went into Woolworths today and saw O on shelves all over the place and a post advertising it, then I saw an advert on TV, then Radio One were talking about him...and I became angry, mainly because I thought Damien was against advertising though. When I first bought O it seemed like nobody knew who he was and I tried to spread the word of Damien and would get angry when someone would say "Who?" BUT when I actually do see advertising and he is the talk of the nation so to speak then I also get angry as I want to keep him all to myself and keep him exclusive. I'm so weird lol :P

Damien's music deserves to be made more public though as it's so beautiful and I believe that everyone should get to hear it, his music changes my life ina wayso I'm also a little for the ad campaign...I just hope that he doesn't become so popular that he wants to throw it all in that's all...I want to hear new things and see Damien for a long time to come!

Yes I'm weird
Old 07-12-2004, 02:22 PM   #9
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i think everyone goes through that stage but you have to understand he is gonna be a huge hit and in demand. all you can do is wish him the best with his success
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:22 PM   #10
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

I was in Virgin in San Francisco last October and there was a poster of O up in the store. strange but very cool.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
LatelyLonely
Eskimo Friend

I love hearing one of damo's songs on the radio they can instantly brighten up my day and leave me smiling for hours, ive never felt so strongly about ne other musician in my life, this man is the business!!! I think if his songs were played too much on the radio they mite lose there shine, at the moment they are like a rose in a garden of weeds, but u loose ur fondness for 99's when the ice cream man is givin them out for free.....
Old 07-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

Wow I couldn't have put that better myself
Old 07-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #13
Rain
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese

I'm one of those strange folk...I went into Woolworths today and saw O on shelves all over the place and a post advertising it, then I saw an advert on TV, then Radio One were talking about him...and I became angry, mainly because I thought Damien was against advertising though. When I first bought O it seemed like nobody knew who he was and I tried to spread the word of Damien and would get angry when someone would say "Who?" BUT when I actually do see advertising and he is the talk of the nation so to speak then I also get angry as I want to keep him all to myself and keep him exclusive. I'm so weird lol :P

Damien's music deserves to be made more public though as it's so beautiful and I believe that everyone should get to hear it, his music changes my life ina wayso I'm also a little for the ad campaign...I just hope that he doesn't become so popular that he wants to throw it all in that's all...I want to hear new things and see Damien for a long time to come!

Yes I'm weird

Haha! That's me, too. [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]Sometimes I'm so scared to tell my friends what I'm listening to, for fear that they'll either not know who he/she is, or they will start jumping on the bandwagon.

Just today alone, two of my friends asked to borrow my "o", because I've been talking about him all the time! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]I didn't expect my words to get through to them.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #14
MelodyMakerMan
Eskimo Regular

you know the version of cannonball you get two seconds of on the tv advert for 'o'? where can I get that version..

oh the reverb!!
MelodyMakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #15
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

Buy the limited edition 'O' you get that video on DVD dude. Edited by: Juzzza

Old 07-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #16
The Pink Girly
the long eskimo

wow thanks for all the comments and i really see what you mean.....maybe i want damien to be all mine so i never have to share him!!!i know....its selfish! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

im sorry if offends you when i right in short hand its just habit because i right like that on messenger! im trying very hard not to.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

cheese and lately lonely made me think twice about the whole thing..so thank you![img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

when you're driving with the brakes on, when you're swimming with your boots on, it's hard to say you love someone...
~del amitri
Old 07-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #17
Juzzza
Eskimo Regular

You know what Pink Girly, that's the power that 'O' carries... Everyone who hears it feels it is being played for them, so it's natural to feel protective.

I doubt you offended anyone either, the fact you are here makes you a miilion times more likeable than most people [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #18
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

just think now how hard it'll be to get tickets
Old 07-12-2004, 04:34 PM   #19
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese

Damien's music deserves to be made more public though as it's so beautiful and I believe that everyone should get to hear it, his music changes my life in*a way*so I'm also a little for the ad campaign...I just hope that he doesn't become so popular that he wants to throw it all in that's all...I want to hear new things and see Damien for a long time to come!

Yes I'm weird

Haha! That's me, too. [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]*Sometimes I'm so scared to tell my friends what I'm listening to, for fear that they'll either not know who he/she is, or they will start jumping on the bandwagon.

Just today alone, two of my friends asked to borrow my "o", because I've been talking about him all the time! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]*I didn't expect my words to get through to them.

I agree....damo going mainstream i scary but good in some ways because he will be good making a good living....we needn't get worried as damo fans because we know he isn't "Mr Materialistic" and with money just spends loads of it.....we always know there will be something special about him
Old 07-12-2004, 09:14 PM   #20
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

To The Pink Girly! I'm glad I helped make you think twice (I'm not sure how though hehe)...but no need to apologise, it's your opinion and I totally understand it, I fear Damien becoming popular and a lot of teeny bopper fans liking him because he's the cool person to be listening to at the moment...I know that is what you meant when you mentioned Usher

But Damien deserves to be big and people deserve to know that such a beautiful album is out there and we shouldn't really fear anything because people who respect Damien's music will stay with him while the others will move on to the next thing and likemestonf put it, he isn't like other rock stars (if you want to call him one lol) and he isn't a big money spender...and he'll always be OUR Damien

*HUGS*
Old 07-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #21
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

hugs all round!
[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 10:08 PM   #22
The Pink Girly
the long eskimo

[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]cheese u r very blessed! (please read that as bless-Ed not blessd!)

and he will indeed always be OUR damien.....hell never escape that!

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

xxxxxx

~del amitri
Old 07-12-2004, 10:15 PM   #23
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

certainly will pink girly!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 PM   #24
neil_eats
Eskimo Regular

you still watch television?
neil_eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:48 PM   #25
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

do i still watch TV?
Old 07-12-2004, 11:16 PM   #26
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

I rarely ever watch TV...well I often browse the music channels but that's about it (come on, Damien is sometimes on VH2!). I was in my sisters room and she was watching TV at the time when the advert came on

Anyway yes hugs all around
Old 07-13-2004, 02:05 AM   #27
cneill
eskimo hobo

He's bound to gain some degree of worldwide popularity, and that's fine. I'm rather tuned out to what worldwide popularity is at any given moment anyway. If you like the music, then you like the music, period. Who cares who is listening to him just because it's the in thing. You can't control them, and it's gonna happen with anybody who receives as much acclaim and attentionas Damien. I think the only thing to be worried about is Damien starting to write for the masses, and that's probably unlikely. As long as he retains the same amount of integrity as demonstrated in "O," then he'll keep producing good quality music. Have some faith in him.

Having said that, I sure would like to go back in time to one of the earlier gigs like The Lobby in 2001, or Vicar St. in Jan of 2002 knowing how big he would eventually get. I know some of you were at those gigs. Did you think at the time that he was gonna become so popular?
photography!: http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=1820624
cneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:08 PM   #28
lonelilly_lil
Eskimo Regular

Hey Pinky Girly!

I know exactely what you mean. I feel so bad because I think i'm really selfish, but when I first heard Damien's music, I couldn't stop talking about it. Then when my friends starting listening to it aswell, I felt SO jealous. His music speaks to you on a level that communicates to you personally and so you feel he is all yours. I know i want him to be all mine. I find it really strange seeing him advertised on tv and hearing him on the radio, it some very bizarre way, its makes you feel as if YOU are being exposed. Weird huh?

Anyway, no matter how popular and well-known he gets, surely you can always satisfy yourself with the fact that no one can take away the special gift his music has given you.

but i do understand exactely how you are feeling!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #29
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelilly_lil

Anyway, no matter how popular and well-known he gets, surely you can always satisfy yourself with the fact that no one can take away the special gift his music has given you.

Thats exactly what i think....that damos music is a gift and it will never leave you!
Old 07-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #30
jayavo
Eskimo Regular

wonder if the beatles had people screaming 'i hope they dont get popular' before they hit it real big.

and if they did, glad they didnt get their way. i understand that popularity brings out more of the people you may not like, but to be blunt it aint about you. think of it this way, popularity ensures that people years from now will hear him, i wouldnt take that away from anyone.

the big thing i worry about is probably what damo worries about, him changing, making his decisions based on what he thinks we want rather than just expressing himself freely. i feel dave matthews did that with the album everyday. and i hated going to shows and things after hearing too many frat boys sing 'crash into me' but i always had it in the back of my mind, it isnt about me.

popularity doesnt have to be all bad. you would never have heard of pink floyd without the popularity of darkside of the moon. before that they had a cult following, probably wishing dark side didnt do so well.

no one would hear the beatles today if it werent for the at- the- time- annoying amount of people screaming for them.

like all, good and bad. look for the good and dont dwell on the bad.

jason

I've learned a lot about women. I think I've learned exactly how the fall of man occured in the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, and Adam said one day, "Wow, Eve, here we are, at one with nature, at one with God, we'll never age, we'll never die, and all our dreams come true the instant that we have them." And Eve said, "Yeah... it's just not enough is it?"