Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 02-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Default this is your brain on music

http://www.yourbrainonmusic.com/

heard an interview with the author on public radio today.. pretty interesting stuff if you're into music (or psychology) at all..

"Endlessly stimulating, a marvelous overview, and one which only a deeply musical neuroscientist could give. Daniel Levitin has a huge knowledge of music developed since the 1950s (and of Blues, Jazz, and etc. before this), and not merely a formal but a deep personal knowledge as an expert performer no less than as a listener. I liked the discussion of 'safe' and 'dangerous' music, and I very much liked the final chapter on the evolutionary origins of music. An important book."
# Oliver Sacks, M.D.

"A dissection of music perception and creation that starts slowly and inexorably builds to a grand finish. I loved reading that listening to music coordinates more disparate parts of the brain than almost anything else--and playing music uses even more! Despite illuminating a lot of what goes on this book doesn't "spoil" enjoyment- it only deepens the beautiful mystery that is music."
# David Byrne (Musician, Artist, and Founder of the Talking Heads)

"A layperson's guide to the emerging neuroscience of music. Dr. Levitin is an unusually deft interpreter, full of striking scientific trivia. Levitin is a cognitive psychologist who runs the Laboratory for Music Perception, Cognition and Expertise at McGill University in Montreal, perhaps the world's leading lab in probing why music has such an intense effect on us."
# The New York Times, January 31, 2006

i may have to pick this one up next time i'm in barnes and noble
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

thats trippy
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
cille
creepycute

Cool, sounds like interesting reading - if I still studied Shrinkology I'd definately include it in my studies. But I don't miss it at all so someone else will have to do that..
Old 02-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Bumpman

Quote:
"A dissection of music perception and creation that starts slowly and inexorably builds to a grand finish. I loved reading that listening to music coordinates more disparate parts of the brain than almost anything else--and playing music uses even more! Despite illuminating a lot of what goes on this book doesn't "spoil" enjoyment- it only deepens the beautiful mystery that is music."
# David Byrne (Musician, Artist, and Founder of the Talking Heads)
I think I'd buy anything on the strength of a recommendation like that.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
dramaking
King of Pain

sounds interesting. would love to read it!