Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Default Is Damien Rice spiritual

I always wondered out of curiosity what Damien Rice'd beliefs were. I know he was brought up in a working class Irish catholic backround like many people in Ireland at the time but what are his own personal beliefs?

His songs seem very spiritually charged IMHO but I am not sure if he likes religion as an establishment. I think he is spiritual.

Opinions?
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Rai
Eskimontologist

He doesn't seem to Hitchensian to me that's for sure. Too bad, really

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i know i always back to this (sorry), but, cerque, you can hear it straight from damien

plus: "I’m noticing more how interconnected everyone and everything is—one person’s exhale is another’s inhale. I focus on creating as much beauty as possible before I die."

i´m not sure if it can help though, lol.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Samart
Nothing unusual...

I guess (maybe wrong) that he is interested in any religion, without being classified in one in particular. But I kinda feel him close to Buddhism, and I don't know why. Maybe because of his engagement for Tibet and for Burma, where Buddhism is the main religion. Not other clues, except that he seems to do not trust what is written in the Bible (just look at Verenita's above link to Italian interview). Which is kinda reassuring to me. (hope I don't schock anyone)

ps : Cold water has a very "religious chant" part, even more obvious live, like he is declaiming (shouting) some kind of "sutra". DUring the live at BBC, I thought that he was involved with the
Sōka Gakkai religious movement. Because he sing something very close to "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo". But maybe, it's only coïncidence.

Quote:
Doctrine :
Nichiren (1222–1282) was a Japanese Buddhist monk who, having studied the entirety of Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings and the commentaries of the leading Buddhist scholars of the day, proclaimed that the Lotus Sutra was the ultimate teaching of Shakyamuni and that, in Shakyamuni's own words, it was the one true teaching. Nichiren declared that the title of the Lotus Sutra, Myoho-Renge-Kyo, crystallized the essence of the sutra and that therefore the invocation Nam-myoho-renge-kyo enabled a practitioner to embrace the entirety of the teaching and to thereby manifest the life-condition of Buddhahood.
If it's true, it's kinda sad, but still he do what he wants.

Last edited by Samart; 01-24-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: for the ps.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

he is smart
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote