Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #121
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

my heart just sank to the floor
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #122
superhero
Eskimo Baby

if lisa quit or decides one day (which she probably will, sooner or later) to start her own career, i would rather damien went on without any "replacement". it just wouldnt work otherwise. damien + lisa. or damien alone. the latter seems a bit "incomplete" to me tho.

anyway, i dont know how much talent lisa has to write her own songs (maybe im just not well enough informed?), but if she has any, im sure she will do her own thing one day. and i would look forward to it.
nevertheless there are / have been a lot of bands who didnt split up because of this. they would maybe take a smaller break and people do her own recordings, some wont even take that break and people do two "projects" at the same time. it all works out.

so for me: lisa stay (damien dont bitch around ) and make your own record when you have the time.

p.s. i was veeeeeeeeery disappointed myself to find out that lisa simply would not show up in munich. i hoped and hoped and hoped until he played 'i remember' and all the songs she owns a significant part in, but i was very sad to realize she wouldnt come. it was my first damien gig and i hope next time i can see him WITH lisa. he simply cant let her go. gosh, damien wake up! you NEED her! :P

Last edited by superhero; 03-20-2007 at 02:29 PM.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:00 PM   #123
Rovena
what will you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero
gosh, damien wake up! you NEED her! :P
I must disagree with you. I mean, Lisa is great and all, but Damien definitely doesn't need her, neither does she need Damien. I think Damien can very well stand on his own...

Rovena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #124
Heretic At Large
Eskimo Contextualist

It seems like it is something going on either within herself (some type of inner struggle) or some drama with the band. Either way, again its all speculation, however either way, I wish her all the best.

Nonetheless, Damien Rice is Damien Rice. I love his work because of the music and lyrics, and though her vocals are obviously beautiful they could be replaced. His prolific music and lyrics can't though. And to me, that's why I'm his fan.

Last edited by Heretic At Large; 03-20-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Heretic At Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #125
Topspin047
tennis pro

oye with the poodles already.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #126
rileyf
Eskimo Regular

lisa wasnt with the band for most for the north american tour (with fiona). maybe whatever situation brought this about has returned. idk. i hope she comes back!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #127
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

What I think is weird is that there is no official statement. If she's gone for good, there should be some official announcement. If Damien cares a tiny tiny bit about his fanbase, that's what he should do... IMO of course...
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #128
cestoz
Eskimo Regular

i think there have been other female vocalists who have sang lisa parts before perfectly well, so there wont be a lot missing, maybe vyvienne could do it having just heard her birdtalk ep, or someone else will step in.

the upside is, maybe they will take turns to release albums so the traditional three year wait will be offset by the other releasing one to tide us over...
Old 03-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #129
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Well at the end of the day I'm joining the bandwagon that it's Damiens songs and it's Damiens lyrics. Look at the song which was credited equally to the both of them, Unplayed Piano, it was a beuatiful but average at best. Lisa is only a compliment to Damien and therefore we can live without her if she wants to leave. The reason I feel in love with the music under the name of Damien Rice was because of his vocals and his guitar. The cello, the drums and Lisas backing vocals make the music complete, but is no way necessary.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #130
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
What I think is weird is that there is no official statement.
Oh I'm sure he'll just put it on his usual blog.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #131
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovena
I must disagree with you. I mean, Lisa is great and all, but Damien definitely doesn't need her, neither does she need Damien. I think Damien can very well stand on his own...
Yes, musically! But I think they are so close by now (as friends) that they appreciate each other's presence in life as well as opinion. And I think that this (and the fact that Ireland is such a small country) might bring them back together sooner than Lisa imagines. I always thought that Lisa might do a solo record, but I also kind of imagined Damo (and the rest of the band) playing a part in it. I mean, why couldn't they do a record together - just like before - but with the label "Lisa Hannigan" on it? They certainly could - if Damo wasn't occupied touring this year. So maybe she just doesn't want to "wait for him". I don't think that she needs him or he needs her, but they certainly work much better together.

But I would really appreciate it if there was an official statement putting an end to all these speculations. I mean, it would be better for Damo as well, wouldn't it? I don't think that he enjoys being bothered by "Where's Lisa" questions at each and every gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
oye with the poodles already.
Best GG quote ever. And it soooo fits the situation.
Lin@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #132
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Oh I'm sure he'll just put it on his usual blog.
what frigging blog?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #133
Rusholme Ruffian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyf
lisa wasnt with the band for most for the north american tour (with fiona). maybe whatever situation brought this about has returned. idk. i hope she comes back!
Wasn't Lisa starring in a play in Ireland then or something?
Rusholme Ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #134
Esquimales
Eskimo Friend

Hi, it's usually my boyfriend who writes here but I thought I could be of help this time around.

We went to Milan especially for the concert. About 20 people waited with us after the show to hopefully speak to/get a glimpse of Damien.

He came out at last and was very friendly indeed. One of the first things I asked was "is Lisa not touring with you?" and he replied "she was..." then paused and finished with "... but not anymore" and looked at me as though I shouldn't ask anything else. I told him that I thought it was an interesting concert without her and he repeated "interesting" and smiled.

I hadn't read this thread before the show and was concerned when Lisa didn't show up, especially as Damien didn't apologise on her behalf or mentioned her at all.

I think that he shouldn't get another vocalist to replace Lisa if she has left for good. The music is not the same, fair enough, but after all Damien is the artist I went to see and Lisa was a bonus.

If you want to hear the songs from Milan without Lisa, go to http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=cieguilla
Esquimales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #135
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.C
Either Lisa is ill which means all the argument rumours cant be right or Lisa has left to go solo and the argument tipped her over the edge to do this. Must piss you off bein apart of someone eles name when you could and have gone solo.
Hmm, but that would mean that her ego and her vanity are as huge as the song "Amie". When someone is pissed off cos of sth. like that, than there must be something really emotional and personal behind that.

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-20-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #136
superhero
Eskimo Baby

i think so too.
superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #137
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

This 'not anymore' points to Lisa not showing up anymore in this tour... but I think you should wait for a official statement before talking about replacements and egos...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #138
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Damien is making the music - he should just find another talented singer. A female voice very well suits him. Its awful, but she can be replaced...hopefully she will return herself someday
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #139
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Let me just tighten up some of this rampant opinion/speculation into what is known to be true:

Lisa will not be appearing for a while at Damien Rice shows.
We don't know why.
They don't seem to know how this will end.
Damien will continue to play all the shows as scheduled.
The shows will be different. The band will make adjustments and changes to how songs get played.
Some songs will flat out not be played without Lisa.

It's a different band without her. It'll be a slow progression to whatever new place they settle into. And over the course of a year or two, some fans won't like what happens and will lose interest. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by mario_d; 03-20-2007 at 06:04 PM.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #140
foryou
Eskimo Friend

Sorry, but all you are talking about does not explain, why Lisa quits the band within 2 hours!
To quit for a solo project or career - this is not a decision of hours.
She did the sound check with the band in Munich but did not the concert few hours later.
If she had e.g. a physical break down, Damien would apologize her at the beginning of the show, I think. If she got private bad news from her family or her friends, Damien would also apologize her.

But what happened instead? Damien does the concert without any word to Lisa's absence.
So I don't think, that Lisa's absence was planned but the result of a heavy struggle between them.

This is my only explanation, sorry .... speculation
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #141
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Mother Hannigan shed some light please pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Show compassion, don't you see us suffering
Old 03-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #142
StatQuo
You never got me right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foryou
This is my only explanation, sorry .... speculation
I have to agree with your reasoning. There had to be serious words... Any other reason of Lisa leaving, it takes two seconds to say: Lisa went home for personal reasons, Lisa is ill...etc
When he was in Oslo at P3 he did '9 crimes' and said Lisa normally sings on it, but 'she's on a holliday' and then a giggle...Whatever reason, it depresses me already.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #143
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

I have no factual knowledge of what happened that caused Lisa to drop off the tour, just a gut feeling based on everything I know from the past, have heard on the tapes, etc. etc.

A lot of circumstantial evidence about the past, both things that occurred recently and actions that were taken years ago, and about current actions, makes me believe believe that Lisa didn't have something else to do or a personal issue. Basically, I'm referring to how Lisa's absences in the past have been handled compared to how it was/is handled currently.

It seems very clear to me that Lisa has either a contractual or personal conflict with someone or multiple people involved with DRM. This is NOT necessarily Damien himself, though I acknowledge he's a leading candidate. I am NOT suggesting that Lisa and Damien had an argument, because that's a massive logical leap based on what we know.

But I will be surprised to see Lisa regularly tour with the band before the US dates. I think the real indication of how permanent this status is will be whether she is with them in the US.

Again: To say Lisa left the tour because of a dispute appears very accurate. To assume the dispute was with Damien is purely speculative.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #144
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

oh man if she goes im gonna hang myself......ok i wont, but i certainly wouldent like it, ive been trying to convince myself that i like damien rice for damien rice, but he is not the same without her in my eyes, she makes every song that bit more magical, and with the magic gone im not sure i could listen to damien the same way, even if i loved it id still be like "but how good would it be if lisa was still here"

anyway, im sure damien will come up and say she was just ill or something, if he isnt releasing anything about the matter then it may be something personal that damien or lisa doesnt want going public, because news of a band member leaving would be a little more solid by this time if she had left at the time she did.

so im waiting on the logical explanation, even though i have gone through the motions in this topic, i bet it will all be one big misunderstanding.

but for everyone saying that she will eventually quit, thats just silly, assuming she hasnt quit now of course, it doesnt mean she will, yeah she will most definatly release an album of her own, but she doesnt need to leave damien high and dry to do so, if anything its safer for her to stay with him as they already have something amazing going that she can fall back on.

PS: lauren, you are the queen of cookies

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #145
Rai
Eskimontologist

It is still possible that something else happened back in munich, like the drumkit falling on her toe or god knows what (the drums were also missing from Munich). Or its just me not wanting her to quit so desperately.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #146
audity
High-Five Eskimo

The Eskimo gossip machine in full throttle

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #147
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Well the last European Tour date ends on 31st March yes, and the day after it we will all be told this is a big joke and we will all giggle nervously..

Yes.. that' it
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #148
foryou
Eskimo Friend

I think it is the badly wrong time to tell the fans officially that Lisa (is said to) quits the band when the pre-sale for the US-leg of their tour has just started.
For me it is out of question that it it much easier to get concerts sold out without the sad truth..... difficult to type these latter words....
foryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #149
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audity
The Eskimo gossip machine in full throttle
Rumour-mill five!
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #150
Constanze
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
It is still possible that something else happened back in munich, like the drumkit falling on her toe or god knows what (the drums were also missing from Munich).