Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 07-25-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
brookefield
slightly colder water...

Default accidental lyrics

which, in your humblest of humble opinions, is the better of damien's two sets of lyrics for the second verse of accidental babies?

the older, and perhaps original version:
Our bodies pressed and hardened
Turning our desire in
With no room for a pardon
In a place where no one knows
What we have done

OR

the newer version:
our minds pressed and garded
while our flesh disregarded
the lack of space for the light hearted
in the boom that beats our drum

why do you think he changed them?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:04 AM   #2
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

i like the 2nd versoin. but i like the 1st too...just the 2nd better. i really like the first line about "minds" and then quickly addresses the physical part too with the flesh, i guess i can relate to that.

as to why he changed it, there could be a million reasons or variables but ill just throw out my random guess:

he came back to the lyrics of the song like we all do if we write music and felt differently or after spending more time thinking about what actually happened, and after a longer period of time has elapsed since the emotions he originally felt, maybe he has a new thought about it or maybe he just came up with something more clever (in my mind) for lyrics. who knows really though, except damien and anyone he's told!?!?!

good question

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

The most obvious reason is that he didn't change them.

The first version had three lines which were exactly the same as the first verse. Damo may have planned all along to move the story forward at that point (which these do and that's why I ultimately prefer the "new" lyrics after eventually adjusting to their initial oddness) but hadn't yet figured out how to word things so perhaps he simply repeated as a temporary placeholder.

In other words, when we hear him try out these new songs we should be expectant that they aren't always finished but rather works in progress. Until they're recorded they aren't complete and sometimes even then things continue to change live. Damo's just that kind of guy who doesn't set things in stone but continues to be inspired to make things fresh every night.

"Fool" for one example was even more drastic since it had an entire extensive opening verse added from the first version we heard and he'll probably still add lyrics to the speeding up "la da" part at the end like he later did for BD2's "la da" section ("What's the point to this song?").

"Lonely Soldier" basically significantly altered only one line: ("And May you be satisfied to never know why/ or how to live again" became "And May you be satisfied to never know why/ sometimes someone just wants to die") but that arguably changed the whole song's tone. I personally liked both those lines and thought he should have only changed the line the last time through the chorus to end it on the more hopeful note.