Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #121
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

i won a badminton-match against two guys. hehehehehehe
Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #122
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

hah, i love badminton, i used to play all the time, reeeaally tiring sport.

did you have a partner? or did in fact beat them in a 2 on 1, cause that would make you a shuttle-god

Yet i keep going to where it seems i'm meant to go
Ships_Were_Sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #123
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

i beat them on my own, of course. and my brother-in-law today as well and i wasn't even trying hard. he was sweatin'! hehe
but i have to say, i'm not that good. i wasn't that bad in my county in my school-days but i never made it to national tournaments (about a decade ago). and it rouined my knees. i have to say, i like it again now... but i had reasons besides my knees to stop playing where i used to play. ah, well. as long as it's for the craic it's brilliant... i hope i'll be able to do this more regularly this semester because i guess it'll be quite packed with uni, work, choir and my music project and maybe something else... which would have to do with sign language. let's see...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #124
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^ Way to go, Jo! I haven't played badminton in sooo long, wonder if my parents still have the set. I'm currently trying to learn to play tennis, hubby got us all rackets for Christmas this year, so we've been going to the neighborhood courts and hitting the balls around, I'm so terribly bad at it but it's still fun. And the kids always chase after the balls so we never have to run to get one that is out of bounds
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #125
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

i've never tried tennis but i might some day try to play a bit with my brother-in-law.
where we were playing badminton today is a tennis-court right next to it and you actually have to pass through it to get out of that complex again. and there were people playing tennis there today as well and they used their dog to chase after the ball. always handy to have someone to do that job for you, isn't it?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #126
dawno
just mildly free

i LOVE badminton - used to be on the school varsity team (where i won most valuable single & most valuable doubles awards!)

i bought my husband a set for father's day a few years ago, we set it up every summer, spray paint a regulation court on the lawn, and play extreme badminton!
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Gatsby
This message has been deleted by Gatsby.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #127
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Default wow!

i´ve listened O (the whole album) as a unity, after a long time…
what a wonderful and beautiful piece of music!

i felt my soul was flying and my body was floating (and i´m very serious).
Old 02-18-2009, 11:42 PM   #128
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

obama sushi anyone?

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #129
Joyful
Eskimama

^ Wow, that is both weird and amazing.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #130
Rai
Eskimontologist

Let´s face it, I´m an ass. I have the attention of a cailín an-álainn and what happens? We end up discussing Marx, John Stuart Mill and Plato.

I also have to admit that I kinda enjoy being an ass.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #131
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

^ did you write that being sober?
i can't remember you being an ass... you seemed like a nice guy to me. now you shattered my world into pieces
Old 02-22-2009, 02:15 PM   #132
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Default The curious case of Benjamin Butthole

No, no, I am an ass...in last july I met a nice girl (she was at least seven or eight years older than moi) on a film set, and we kinda got along very well throughout the whole day. Afterwards, when we split, she gave me her adress and her phone number on a card, plus a surprising kiss on the cheek... Since then, I haven't called back, I always wanted to but I didn't feel very well due to some private stress after july, in october I felt better, so I made some attempts, I did try to look up where she lives, but I didn't ring the doorbell and, like I mentioned, didn't call her...

How dumb and how cowardish...
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #133
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
No, no, I am an ass...in last july I met a nice girl (she was at least seven or eight years older than moi) on a film set, and we kinda got along very well throughout the whole day. Afterwards, when we split, she gave me her adress and her phone number on a card, plus a surprising kiss on the cheek... Since then, I haven't called back, I always wanted to but I didn't feel very well due to some private stress after july, in october I felt better, so I made some attempts, I did try to look up where she lives, but I didn't ring the doorbell and, like I mentioned, didn't call her...

you can still do it, hen! never is too late, you know

ps: "plus a surprising kiss on the cheek". was it that surprising? we give kisses on the cheek everytime we meet someone. a hello kiss and a goodbye kiss... this makes me curious...
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #134
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

show up on her lawn drunk, naked, and playing the banjo.

Girls love that

Old 02-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #135
Topspin047
tennis pro

come on now ladies, they won't fertilize themselves, get into the ballgame let's clear those shelves
thats what i read in the sunday magazine...
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #136
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

Been there done that :P Met an actress at a party, we got along absolutely great, I asked her to meet up on the weekend which didn´t work out since she was living in another town and headed home. Then I completely forgot about her. Two months later I remembered that hey, there was this wee opportunity, but after some mild social network intelligence gathering (basically the main Hungarian socnet site is only used for identifying people who you met last night and checking their availabilities) I sadly saw that this boat has sailed away.

(by the way, I was stone cold sober when I wrote that previous post. Just to clear things up )

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #137
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Been there done that :P Met an actress at a party, we got along absolutely great, I asked her to meet up on the weekend which didn´t work out since she was living in another town and headed home. Then I completely forgot about her. Two months later I remembered that hey, there was this wee opportunity, but after some mild social network intelligence gathering (basically the main Hungarian socnet site is only used for identifying people who you met last night and checking their availabilities) I sadly saw that this boat has sailed away.
Balls.
Normally, I would just come up with something, but I have no idea what to say to her if I call her or stand in her door ("the first words" are the problem here) and that scares me. Probably has to do with me feeling embarrassed for waiting so long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
you can still do it, hen! never is too late, you know

ps: "plus a surprising kiss on the cheek". was it that surprising? we give kisses on the cheek everytime we meet someone. a hello kiss and a goodbye kiss... this makes me curious...
You're right, I know these different rituals and already experienced something like this in southern France. Could have been just a ritual, yeah, but it felt weird, she barely knew me, we've been together on set for only 14 hours. And then the adress thing...

Do you kiss even smelly and unsympathetic people?

Last edited by Hendrik; 02-22-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #138
verenita
... trusty and true ...

indeed, we do i do, at least.
and if we spend about 14 hours with someone, we actually give even a goodbye hug. i really love this habit of ours
Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #139
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^ Here in the US, we generally shake hands if we've only just met someone, though if it someone we are close to we hug or kiss on the cheek (which is always so awkward for me, as I am a bit under five feet tall, they have to bend way down and I have to get up on my tip-toes . . .) Anyway, when I was a freshman in college I had a friend named Stefan, and we'd always hug good-bye. His roommate, who was from the Middle East, hung out with us a lot too, so one day I gave his roommate a hug too. Well, Stefan came up to me the next day and told me that his roommate was Muslim, and not to hug him anymore - he'd NEVER hugged a girl before that was not a close relative, it made him very uncomfortable because it was like kissing to him, etc. I was so embarrassed! I had grown up in a very un-diverse small town, the only Muslim guy I knew had no problem with hugging girls, lol.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #140
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
^ Here in the US, we generally shake hands if we've only just met someone, though if it someone we are close to we hug or kiss on the cheek (which is always so awkward for me, as I am a bit under five feet tall, they have to bend way down and I have to get up on my tip-toes . . .) Anyway, when I was a freshman in college I had a friend named Stefan, and we'd always hug good-bye. His roommate, who was from the Middle East, hung out with us a lot too, so one day I gave his roommate a hug too. Well, Stefan came up to me the next day and told me that his roommate was Muslim, and not to hug him anymore - he'd NEVER hugged a girl before that was not a close relative, it made him very uncomfortable because it was like kissing to him, etc. I was so embarrassed! I had grown up in a very un-diverse small town, the only Muslim guy I knew had no problem with hugging girls, lol.
In the UK we kiss people on the lips we are close with. Both men and women.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #141
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^ A close friend of my mother-in-law does that, I was kinda surprised the first time she kissed me on the lips. Her husband is really tall, well over 6 feet, and once ended up kissing me on the top of my head, lol.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #142
Ships_Were_Sailin
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
In the UK we kiss people on the lips we are close with. Both men and women.
Hate to break it to ya dean, but its just you who does that

Old 03-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #143
cille
creepycute

Today the danish Rhythmic Music Conservatory send out letters to the 196 applicants of their 3-year songwriting class - 15-20 of whom will get to an acceptance conversation, whereof 6 applicants will enter the course - and am one of the 196, uuuaaaarrrghhh... I am so nervous and really expecting a rejection, but i would really like to enter this class as I'd like my life to contain more music and less dayjob... Exciting!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #144
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

oh, good luck, cille! i'm sure you won't get a rejection, fingers crossed! your life should contain more music and less dayjob, really like!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #145
cille
creepycute

...really like totally yes.... Will probably not recieve the letter till tomorrow, uaaaghhrrhhhuha uha uha.... And that's if the postal service is quick... uahahauuahushuhuhuha...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #146
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
Today the danish Rhythmic Music Conservatory send out letters to the 196 applicants of their 3-year songwriting class - 15-20 of whom will get to an acceptance conversation, whereof 6 applicants will enter the course - and am one of the 196, uuuaaaarrrghhh... I am so nervous and really expecting a rejection, but i would really like to enter this class as I'd like my life to contain more music and less dayjob... Exciting!
I'm keepin my finger's crossed, too.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #147
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

^ do that. but make sure to remember the way you did it so that you'll be able to loosen the knot again. this is a security announcement. better make a plan before you try to fulfil your promise so that you'll be able to come back to that in case you forget. otherwise something terrible might happen to you!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #148
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

sorry. i just had the latest lecture of my life and i'm not used to it yet. i guess it affected me somehow... or maybe i was always like that but was able to supress it so far? who knows, who knows...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #149
verenita
... trusty and true ...

what does "have a lecture" mean? i know it´s an expression for a college situation, but i want to understand the whole situation, cause i think we don´t have that in here. i´m just curious.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #150
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

it's just when a room is filled to the brim with students, trying to fit into a room made for about half the amount of them to listen to a professor talking about something that might or mightn'd interest them. oh, yes. i forgot! at the end of the term you usually have an exam about what he/she told you and maybe some additional literature... depends on what's asked of you...
actually, the situation with this lecture is not that bad. we all have a seat and enough space to breathe...

Tags
random