Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 03-02-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

The latest reviews from Europe seem to consistently state that at some point during the show Damien asked for quietfrom the crowd. When it wasn't forthcoming the reviews indicate that he seemed pissed off. Certainly would take the shine off of a show for me. I mean what would he expect? When you play for several thousand people it is never going to be silent. Newbies will be present and some people will be seated far enough away that making a connection is tough. Thoughts?
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:06 PM   #2
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I know that this happened to Tori Amos during her tour in 1996. Before then, her audiences were quite reverent and hardly ever spoke and rarely yelled things out. I think she was really annoyed about it at first, but has since realized that she can't control what stupid people will do. Sometimes she will change her setlist, leaving out special, rare songs, if people are being particularly obnoxious. I think she sometimes adds special songs if she feels a connection with the audience. But in the long run, I think she winds up just talking to the audience much less frequently than she used to. We used to get all kinds of stories, and now we're lucky to get one, regurgitated story per concert. Maybe this progression is bound to happen with any artist with a burgeoning fan base. But maybe Damo will sabatoge his career. Maybe he'll just stop playing bigger venues after this tour. Who knows...
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I think many artists originally have a problem handling this, especially solo artists. Though I heard the Frames had a problem for a while also (?) before they decided to use the "if you can't beat them, join them" approach. And Elbow, in 'Cast Of Thousands, turned it into "high art".

So, I understand Damien getting pissed off for now. He isn't the only one. I know several bands/songwriters who sometimes truly feel like walking off the stage.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

I've watched Ani DiFranco and other singer/songwriters tell the crowd to shut the feck up plenty of times..It's the nature of the beast. You would be surprised the response you would get if you were in the audience and did the same. I was at a Ryan Adams how last year during an amazing "Shadowlands" when someone just started yelling and acting like an arse. Some lovely woman behind me grabbed my drink and dropped it from the balcony onto the head of the asshole below. All of us on the balcony gave her a round of applause and shut the little punk up.
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:20 AM   #5
rudy
Eskimo Regular

Well, he was far from grumpy at the gig in Stockholm the other night. He did thank the audience for being so quite and respectful though, and told us what the crowd was like in London (or part of the crowd, anyway) a couple of weeks ago.A bunch of noisy and drunk w*nkers. But I´m afraid that´s something that he´ll have to cope with now that he´s playing bigger venues.

rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:07 AM   #6
prague
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy
and told us what the crowd was like in London (or part of the crowd, anyway) a couple of weeks ago.A bunch of noisy and drunk w*nkers

Not very professional of him though. Bad-mouthing us like that!
Old 03-03-2004, 05:31 AM   #7
rudy
Eskimo Regular

...but he was very careful saying that applied only to a wee bunch of people in the back.

rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:56 AM   #8
Mojo_Pin1980
Eskimo Regular

The audience in Amsterdam a week ago was quiet as a mouse and Damien was in a fantastic mood![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2004, 06:38 AM   #9
Dannyboyo
Eskimo Regular

what's his quote in Q magazine regarding people singing/talking through his performance....

"Its like people farting on the tube, you'd rather they didnt but you cant stop it happening!"

Old 03-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #10
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

lol!
Old 03-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Certainly would be better iffolks that think that they are sitting in front of the tube watchingMTV would stay home but not realistic. So maybe we all agree that it's alright to tell the ass the just wontstop talking to shut the fu*k up, particularly at the Beacon show in New York.And to our friends in Europe...keep us posted.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #12
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

yeah i hate it, people are so f**king ignorant. if they go to a concert they have to shut the hell up. Thats just a question of respect towards the artist and the audience. I also dont brake into their house and sh*t on their carpet. sorry for the bad mouth...
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I'm already worried about Boston. So far so good on previous gigs but the Boston crowd can be aweful. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #14
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Angela, you should teach them in prussian virtues. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #15
Angela
Eskimo Regular

A hopeless case, trust me! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2004, 01:08 PM   #16
merryl
Eskimo Baby

Yesterday on his gig inHamburg a local venue manager climbed onto stage just before the show started and took Damiens Microfone and told the crowd they should use no flashlights and that the bar is closed during the show, because the artist wants silence. It seems it has been o.k. for Damien but for the audience it looked, as if he was playing a gig in a school and the director is explaining the rules before the concert may start. Pretty strange.

The audience understood the hint and was very, very silent (excluding the applause, which has been frenetic). At a very silent end of a song one handheld rang in the audience and many people laughed and even damien smiled.

However, he wasn#t in a very communicative mood, just saying three or four things. In the end he told the crowd (in german) that it has been a very beautiful audience. Maybe we acted the way he wanted us too, but honest: that was no hard job to do.

Even if it wasn't the best night of Damien it was a fantastic concert.

Merryl

Edited by: merryl
merryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #17
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

I can't imagine that a New York or Boston crowd will react favorably to a stage manager asking for quiet before a show. It is a bit odd no? Anyway, thanks for the update Meryl! Were there any surprises at the show? Any covers played?
Old 03-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #18
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I actually think it would be pretty effective. Sure there will be assholes who will still talk (and sing...I f**king hate the singers...I didn't pay to hear them sing, I paid to hear Damien and Lisa sing), but after having a warning at the beginning (or even signs posted around the venue - Cody ChesnuTT does this so that people won't smoke...in bars no less) WE will be even more justified in telling them to shut the f**k up! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #19
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

i really really hope that the pittsburgh show doesnt turn out like these shows have been

ill be going down very early for this concert...so im going to spread the word about this stuff..

try to get as many people in the line to be respectful to damien as i can.....and if that dont work and people start actin up pretty bad..

then ill be standin up on my seat holding a huge sign that says

'shutyourself up before i do it for you!!'

well..ok...i probably wont...but yeah..im gonna be totally angered if this show is ruined by some ignorant 'fans'
Old 03-09-2004, 09:17 PM   #20
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]I dunno.My vote is for the audience to showappropriate respect but my view that can be done while enjoying and bopping and even singning to the music [for the right songs of course].Damien should lighten up a bit. This is a gig. Aconcert. Over the years I've seen 'em all. And the best shows are ones where you have a mass house party. Everyone finding the same feel for the night.Where the band feeds off of the crowd and the crowd off of the band. The idea of having to sit in silence is absurd. Let's be real what makes this great is more of a collective groove rather then some musical classical masterpiece atLincoln Center where I go to nap. I really hope that Damien finds a middle ground.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:57 PM   #21
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Talking about middle ground...

Any chance you could use sort of a regular fond size (unless you are vision impaired and need it to be this size)?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:51 AM   #22
dara
Eskimo Regular

lol
dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:50 AM   #23
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Ego is the SIZE of the US. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img] [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #24
The Kitten
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
Talking about middle ground...

Any chance you could use sort of a regular fond size (unless you are vision impaired and need it to be this size)?

good work
Old 03-10-2004, 02:26 PM   #25
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Ego is the SIZE of the U.S.?

Meaning what?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:32 PM   #26
Angela
Eskimo Regular

big</font>
Old 03-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #27
marina
Eskimo Regular

i think Hendrick meant US (as in ye guys)...i could be wrong
Old 03-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #28
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Apologies for the "fond" size.[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]Just getting experimental here...Now onto substance...Are we as Damien fansreally meant to sit in silence at shows?
Old 03-10-2004, 02:37 PM   #29
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

If we're his fans, we're supposed to do what pleases the man, no? So the question is: what does Damien want?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #30
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

aaahh so my ego is reflected by size of font size...interesting concept...maybe just compensating for other failings...hee hee.

and see angela...font sizes aren't so dangerous after all are they?