Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-17-2004, 06:16 PM   #31
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

I hadn't posted in this thread b/c I don't like to repeat myself and thought I had said this before, but realized it was on the official/evil twin site.

I discovered Damien's music right around Christmas time this last year. I had spent a year in a verypainful personal relationship (very similar to what Damien has experiencedfrom what I've gathered) and had ended it and was still reeling from the intense pain from that. Then my mom died suddenly right before the holidays.... my mom was like my best friend and the loss I felt over her death was indescribable. I felt like the sun had gone out and the whole world had been darkened. I have always struggled with depression but this was definitely the lowest point ever in my life. I really did feel suicidal and like I didn't have the strength to take another step or even another breath. Then I heard Damien's music.....

I adore Damien and his music so much becausefor me he really has been somewhat of a godsend and maybe even a savior. I've always drawn strength from music but Damien's voice and music and lyrics touched me in a way that I felt like I did have the strength to go on.... there was beauty and light in the world.... and I wasn't alone in my feelings. It was like he had found a voice for my sorrow, and expressed it so eloquently and beautifully, that I felt like I could finally make some sense out of it and start to move on from it.

I've never experienced anything that has healed me and helped me as much as Damien's music. I will be forever grateful to him for that. It's amazing to me that this young man has the gift to create such beautiful music that transcends age and culture and background to touch so many in such a deep and meaningful way. I wonder if he even realizes the power of the gift he has........

So to me his music is not depressing, but uplifting and inspiring, though the themes and emotions he expresses can be very painful and dark. As was said earlier, he takesall the crap we endure in this lifeand turns it into something beautiful, which btw is called "sublimation"and isthe highest level of coping with stressors and transcending our own pain. And he normalizes those experiences and makes one feel as if..... okay, I'm not crazy..... someone else has gone through this very same thing and has overcome it and created a beautiful expression of it that is healing and inspiring to others. It makes one feel less alone.... it gives one hope.....

Once I was listening to "The Blower's Daughter" and my daughter asked me to turn it off. It was depressing to her and she said she didn't like to drown in her sorrows like I did. But she likes the song "Mad World" from Donnie Darko. When I asked her why she said it makes her feel like killing herself but keeps her from feeling like killing herself at the same time...... so she gets it, she just doesn't get it from Damien like I do.

If I did get a chance to see Damien after the show I just saw last week I had planned to just ask him if I could give him a hug and thank him for the gift of his music and tell him how much it had meant to me. I wouldn't have asked for an autograph or picture or anything else, because I feel as if he has already given me so much it would be wrong to ask anything more of him. I just wanted to give him something and let him know how much he is appreciated and what his music has meant to me and my life.....

Thank you, Damien! From the bottom of my heart and soul...... [img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img]

wow! this turned out to be a really long post. sorry.... but it's obviously something I feel strongly about and felt the need to express.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #32
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2004, 10:02 PM   #33
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

AllI can say to most things that have just been said is...WOW!! To all!!!

I only just heard Damien for the first time this past Christmas and actually only bought O because I wanted to hear the rest of his stuff, I had no idea that his music would have such an effect on me in such a short space of time! At first I only casually listened to O for the the first week of owning it, but the following week was one of the lowest I have ever experience, a lot happened...nothing major to others but it felt it to me, and I spent every evening after college in my room, I was actually making myself mentally ill in a wayand becoming more and more depressed by the day. I just sat there with my acousitc guitar writing songs, I decided to learn a few songs which I had heard on O and once I had I listened to the lyrics so I could just sing them to myself but the more I listened to Damien's CD the more and more I became addicted. it was like nothing I had ever heard before, the pain and the passion put into each song, I could relate to it all in a way and it was all so raw with simple production, there was nothing to it yet there was so much too it!

Hearing Damien's pain in his music and hearing his passion for life too seemed to switch on a few lightbulbs for me, it helped me become happier, not depressed, I obviouslly wasn't in the same situation as Damien when he wrote his songs but his music felt like my companion...for a long time I had felt very alone and lost in a way but listening to Damien really helped me a lot! It's hard to explain. All I know now is that I admire Damien and co more than anyone in the world and I appreciate the music so much and don't know what I would be like without it it all!!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:15 PM   #34
cille
creepycute

the huggin' cheese is in da igloo!

what more can i say? thanks a lot for that very personal story! i hear you!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:21 PM   #35
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

it took alot for yous all to say that, i admire u all
Old 04-17-2004, 10:44 PM   #36
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

The Hugging Cheese back from a nice5 day holiday! And sending his hugs to Cille ....sorry five days worth and all!

And to everyone else!!! ....I love this forum, like Cille said earlier we are beautiful people who appreciate beautiful music!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:46 PM   #37
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

oh the igloo love!!!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:02 AM   #38
cille
creepycute

woah, sister midnight - i can't believe i didn't notice your post earlier! (guess cheese's lovely embraces got me off track[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img])

i REALLY know what you mean. music can be life-saving at difficoult times. my 'life-saving' musician was David Gray, but it could just as well have been damien; had i known his work at that time.

thanks for sharing! lots'a love to you

[img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2004, 01:10 AM   #39
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img]

Big hugs and love to all eskimo friends...... and Damien (of course) and Lisa, Vyv, Tomo and Shane!!!! Edited by: SisterMidnight
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #40
northstar
Eskimo Baby

powerful words!

we seem to find strength in a problem shared, and when damien shared his lyrics....at least we knew someone out there hurt the same way

Old 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM   #41
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

i heart damo
Old 04-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #42
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

... I also get really irritated when people give me crap about how much I like damien, its like they have never been touched by a musician or music before... sure i may be obsessed but that is no reason to diss the music - i played "O" over the loudspeakers at work (circuit city) because i wanted to spread the damo love, and most of the people i work with were just like - "what is this crap??" - i couldnt beleive it!! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 08:42 PM   #43
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

... yeah my last post sounded pretty stupid compared to the others... and now i feel rather shallow for asking damien for a picture and autograph and all [img]smileys/smiley13.gif[/img]... i love you sistermidnight!! Edited by: LilMis156
Old 04-20-2004, 09:15 PM   #44
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

no love damo so much every1 thinks im a big stupid cuz i love him and no all his songs and have my own meanings to them but u connect with his so well thru lyrics and everything i cnt put it in words how much his mucis means to me!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 PM   #45
Fogerty
Eskimo Baby

At first listen to the CD, for me, I thought it was too slow, boring, quiet, and even a little depressing. But I only thought it was depressing because it is really soft. You just have to give it a chance and get to know the songs. And it is true that a concert of Damien's would probably change anyone's opinion about him (if that opinion was bad to begin with).
Old 04-21-2004, 05:39 PM   #46
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
If I did get a chance to see Damien after the show I just saw last week I had planned to just ask him if I could give him a hug and thank him for the gift of his music and tell him how much it had meant to me. I wouldn't have asked for an autograph or picture or anything else, because I feel as if he has already given me so much it would be wrong to ask anything more of him. I just wanted to give him something and let him know how much he is appreciated and what his music has meant to me and my life.....

I would also feel awkward about asking for an autograph or a photo, etc, if i met damien - wouldn't know what to do with his signature anyway.

i have this idea that if i should meet one of my fave musicians i might ask them to write down like 3 musicians that have inspired them, or something. this could maybe inspire me too.

or maybe i'd just become numb and say something stupid like: i... i... really WUUUUB your work[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]. more likely, i'm sure[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 06:45 PM   #47
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

yeah, i asked him to sign my shirt... just because i couldnt think and thats the "normal" thing to ask for... but i paid 20 bucks for the shirt, so im gonna wear it and the autographwill fade, but the memory wont so i suppose ti doesnt matter!![img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 PM   #48
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogerty
And it is true that a concert of Damien's would probably change anyone's opinion about him (if that opinion was bad to begin with).

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]well i know about one guy to whom damo's concert had the opposite effect[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

(i'm thinking of TW59, or whatever he was called, who left a damo concertin a furyand started the thread 'rice is anti-american')
Old 04-21-2004, 08:37 PM   #49
Alistair
Eskimo Regular

I always think of clueless when people say that certain music is depressing like that where fake plastic trees starts playing and cher says something like "what is it about college and cry-baby music?" and the other day on the O.C. I can't remember what was playing but summer says "it's just a guitar and a whole lot of whining".

Apparently Thom yorke was a bit upset by the clueless comment as the song means a lot to him

Anyway I find some people listen to music that doesn't provoke any feelings at all, which i thought was kinda the main point of music. :/

Damiens Music isn't really depressing in general it goes through a whole range of emotions, from frustration to love [img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img]
Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote