Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 03-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Default Thoughts on the Wolvo Gig

Alright so tonight was the Wolvo gig and its time to go over a few thoughts. Firstly both me and Dean C really did miss Lisa's presence it wouldnt of been that bad but Damien insists on trying to replicate Lisa's parts by using loop pedals or Joel, it would be better if he just cut it out.

Secondly the thing that ruins a gig more than any member of the band missing is some twat shouting out "we love you Damien". We know you love him hence why your at a gig, we dont need you to shout it out in the middle of every quiet song he plays. We thought we had got away without someone shouting "where's Lisa" but alas no during the very last song which was Accidental Babies someone couldnt resist the urge

Thirdly, dont ****ing sing along with Damien when hes singing quietly, your not as good and im there to hear him not your ****ing **** voice.

Fourthly, due to the lack of air con at least two people fainted in he crowd. Now i dont really give a **** about that, what I do care about is everyone turning around making sure their ok during a song making noise. If someone faints sod it, they are weak and they dont need pity.

Fiftly, Damien only spoke a couple of times tonight to say thankyou, there was no crowd interaction and when he started with Me, My Yoke and I and Women Like a Man he seemed so angry it was scary.. in a good way.

Sixthly, tonight was really good but in a very strange way, ive come up with a strange analogy to summarise it. Ok when I saw Damien at Vicar St it was amazing and you really felt like you were one with Damien and the music, it felt like he was making love to you and you were a equal partner in the proceedings, you felt involved and it was great. Tonight it was different instead of making love to me it felt like he had grabbed me and ****ed me hard in the arse. Now dont get me wrong the hard ****ing was good and everyone likes it from time to time, however the thing with a hard shag is that although its great at the time in a months time its replaced by another shag, but when someone makes love to you and its awesome you can remember it for the rest of your life. Now I realise thats a strange analogy but I think it does sum it up.

Finally a congratulations to Rob McGrail on his amazing hat.

Thom

Last edited by Tommy; 03-30-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

he he weird analogy

what did he play?
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Ok ill tell you what I remember roughly in order.

Me, My Yoke and I
Women Like a Man
Grey Room
Volcano (Extended new pianoy version, was good and angry)
I Remember (The longest version I have ever heard must of been at least 20 minutes and at one point he started singing Bang Bang by Nancy Sinatra)
9 Crimes
Cannonball
Coconut Skins which went into some weird funk tune that was really good.
Elephant
Sleep dont weep into Cold Water

Encore

Professor
Blowers Daughter
Accidental Babies

It was a cool set because of all the extended versions but the choice of songs was lacking in my eyes. Nothing obscure I would of liked to have heard Fool, Insane, Then Go etc etc but alas no.

Last edited by Tommy; 03-30-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

sounds great, especially the sleep don't weep/cold water pairing... looks like he's only playing Fool in France i think we'll have to start a official petition thanks for the setlist!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Sixthly, tonight was really good but in a very strange way, ive come up with a strange analogy to summarise it. Ok when I saw Damien at Vicar St it was amazing and you really felt like you were one with Damien and the music, it felt like he was making love to you and you were a equal partner in the proceedings, you felt involved and it was great. Tonight it was different instead of making love to me it felt like he had grabbed me and ****ed me hard in the arse. Now dont get me wrong the hard ****ing was good and everyone likes it from time to time, however the thing with a hard shag is that although its great at the time in a months time its replaced by another shag, but when someone makes love to you and its awesome you can remember it for the rest of your life. Now I realise thats a strange analogy but I think it does sum it up.

You have me and my mate in stitches here with that analogy! she wants to have your babies, apparently.

I know exactly what you mean about Joel replicating Lisa's parts - I thought he was doing on Tuesday night from time to time.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
You have me and my mate in stitches here with that analogy! she wants to have your babies, apparently.

I know exactly what you mean about Joel replicating Lisa's parts - I thought he was doing on Tuesday night from time to time.
I plan to train my babies up into being super ninja's with awesome guitar playing skillz and the ability to appreciate both George Micheal and Michael Palin, if thats ok with her I would be happy to impregnate.

Thom
Old 03-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
Nine
Inuit

Tommy, I too would like your babies please.

Excellent analogy
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i think that's the best analogy ever, my first damien gig was a hard ****

Quote:
I Remember (The longest version I have ever heard must of been at least 20 minutes and at one point he started singing Bang Bang by Nina Simone)
do you mean "bang bang (my baby shot me down)" by nancy sinatra? from the kill bill soundtrack? i don't think nina has a song "bang bang" but i could be wrong, i'm not super familiar with her stuff..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:41 AM   #9
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i think that's the best analogy ever, my first damien gig was a hard ****
Mine too. Hammersmith though, for me, was definately making love.
I have a feeling this analogy will be used for years to come on this board!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

My God yeah cheers Sistermidnight I was just being a retard.

Do not worry babies will be delivered to all that need them.

Until then just print a picture of me off my myspace and look longingly into my eyes :P

Thom
Old 03-30-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
Nine
Inuit

Quote:

Do not worry babies will be delivered to all that need them.

Until then just print a picture of me off my myspace and look longingly into my eyes :P

Thom
Excellent, will do. Look forward to the impregnation.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:50 AM   #12
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:

Thom
no that's okay you're probably just still high from the gig, thanks for the review.. but that is totally cool! i really need to hear this version of i remember..
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 AM   #13
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Yeah it was really good, it all switched around. Damien went from acoustic to electric to a synthesiser, Vyv started playing the piano half way through. You could see that some of the more casual fans were a bit lost but I thought it was fantastic.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 AM   #14
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i'm jealous right now, i love his angry distorted extended space jam gigs..

by the way, this
Quote:
Fourthly, due to the lack of air con at least two people fainted in he crowd. Now i dont really give a **** about that, what I do care about is everyone turning around making sure their ok during a song making noise. If someone faints sod it, they are weak and they dont need pity.
made me laugh out loud
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 AM   #15
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Haha yeah im a bit of a wanker really, but the whole evening was full of people either singing, shouting or just general fuss making. It was terrible there and I can only imagine how bad it will be when he does Arena's later on this year.

The jams were mint but again I just wished he played something that wasnt on the albums, the gigs setlist seemed very routiny which isnt what I expect from Damien.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #16
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
i'm jealous right now, i love his angry distorted extended space jam gigs..

by the way, this
made me laugh out loud
I thought it was rather unnecessary.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:27 AM   #17
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyatt3
I thought it was rather unnecessary.
I knew someone would, saying things to test the over-hyper-super-duper sensitivity some Eskimos have is a hobby of mine.

Last edited by Tommy; 03-30-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 AM   #18
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
I knew someone would, saying things to test the over-hyper-super-duper sensitivity some Eskimos have is a hobbie of mine.
I'm not being overly sensitive at all. Furthermore, I'm certainly not hyper, and I was going to refrain entirely from even commenting on it until someone else stated they found it funny. It's nothing personal whatsoever, I simply think that complaining about someone making noise when they are checking to ensure that someone who fainted is actually ok is rather selfish, that's all. I completely agree with the idea that people yelling basically anything when it's not called for, especially while someone's playing, is annoying. I just don't think that making noise in that particular situation, namely checking on the general well being of another person, is something that really should be complained about. Once again, nothing personal, Tommy. There are copious amounts of things here that others are highly sensitive to that I am less than moved or motivated to action by, I simply think that particular comment was unnecessary.
Steven
Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 AM   #19
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Thats a cool explanation man, much better than most would give, and of course me saying that it annoyed me was over the top, obviously it couldnt be avoided. Just trying to highlight some of the things that spoil a Damo gig for me in a lighthearted and humourous manner.

As the Barenaked Ladies once said

"Im the kinda guy who laughs at a funeral"

Thom
Old 03-30-2007, 01:40 AM   #20
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
I'm not being overly sensitive at all. Furthermore, I'm certainly not hyper, and I was going to refrain entirely from even commenting on it until someone else stated they found it funny. It's nothing personal whatsoever, I simply think that complaining about someone making noise when they are checking to ensure that someone who fainted is actually ok is rather selfish, that's all. I completely agree with the idea that people yelling basically anything when it's not called for, especially while someone's playing, is annoying. I just don't think that making noise in that particular situation, namely checking on the general well being of another person, is something that really should be complained about. Once again, nothing personal, Tommy. There are copious amounts of things here that others are highly sensitive to that I am less than moved or motivated to action by, I simply think that particular comment was unnecessary.
Steven
can't you tell when someone's joking?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #21
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Thank you.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #22
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Quote:
And yes obviously I was joking
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #23
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
Well, Sister, generally speaking I certainly can. Being a philosophy major I became quite familiar with finer nuances of people speaking. However, that particular comment in the context it was written (plus the simple fact that it was written, which in itself provides interpretive difficulty) didn't lend itself to seeming jocular to me. Apparently I'm wrong, it just didn't seem that way. It was in the middle of other complaints which came across as serious (note the preferred language), and the others seemed typically valid annoyances others have at concerts. I'm really not intending to make a big deal out of this, I suppose I may have benefitted more from refraining to comment at all. Here's a general hug:
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 AM   #24
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Well, Sister, generally speaking I certainly can. Being a philosophy major...
ah that explains it

why not, i like hugs
Old 03-30-2007, 02:03 AM   #25
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
ah that explains it

why not, i like hugs

Have I condemned myself to a nice little box where all my observations are invalid due to either overexamination or oversimplification, and all my thinking is within a strict method, and all my beliefs can be held merely on grounds of logical certainty? (sorry, I had to, I get it oh so often)

Seriously, though, it may come as a surprise to you, but studying philosophy can lead some of us to realize its own flaws and limitations (logic cannot always act in place of experience, in terms of time or in terms of actually living it). We don't all buy into the ideas shoved in our faces. I was also a Religion major and a Geology minor, so I'm not too incredibly restricted.

Last edited by shyatt3; 03-30-2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:07 AM   #26
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

I do a Business and Law degree therefore I have the ability to run Microsoft and skills to sucessfully convict Jesus for fraud.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #27
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

oh my god no! not another lawyer!

Quote:
Have I condemned myself to a nice little box where all my observations are invalid due to either overexamination or oversimplification, and all my thinking is within a strict method, and all my beliefs can be held merely on grounds of logical certainty? (sorry, I had to, I get it oh so often)

Seriously, though, it may come as a surprise to you, but studying philosophy can lead some of us to realize its own flaws and limitations (logic cannot always act in place of experience, in terms of time or in terms of actually living it). We don't all buy into the ideas shoved in our faces. I was also a Religion major and a Geology minor, so I'm not too incredibly restricted.
that was me joking again, steven

meh i'm just a lowly social worker, what do i know..
Old 03-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #28
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

I know. So was I. And I certainly know better than to posit myself in any higher position because of my study (that comment was only in relation to the understanding conversation concern anyway).

Last edited by shyatt3; 03-30-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:13 AM   #29
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
I do a Business and Law degree therefore I have the ability to run Microsoft and skills to sucessfully convict Jesus for fraud.

My mate Lori wants to know where you live so she can be on the next train out of here! lol

great review of gig. I'm learning to cope witht the noisy people, because honestly, theyre not going to go away
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:21 AM   #30
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Haha I love your friend. If this wasnt a nice respectable friendly little site I would start flirting now.

Address

1 The North Pole
North Polefordshire
The Artic