Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-17-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
barny
Eskimo Baby

2 questions

-Who was being played over the speakers before the support bands? (male acoustic kind of thing)

-What was the last song Damien sang? (Alleluya)
Old 02-17-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
cloudburst
Eskimo Baby

Hi

I was at the Cambridge gig.. i didn't get there early enough to answer your first question.

The last song was a cover of Hallelujah which is a song the late great Jeff Buckley covered on his album Grace (i totally recommend checkin it out)

I think the original was a Leonard Cohen song but don't quote me

p.s. weren't you just wishing most of the crowd would shut up? - the room seemed to be full of people who didn't even care that they were there
cloudburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Chattering crowd again?!? [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] Poor Mr Damien... How did he react to it?
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
cloudburst
Eskimo Baby

He actually complimented the crowd on being a bit quieter but after reading reviews on the Glasgow gig i suppose the audience seemed like angels!

It may not have been all the audience but certainly around me there were people talking through the songs - and one of my pet hates..

- People who sing along loudly..... but the wrong words!! haha -

Apart from all that it was still amazing - and finishing on Hallelujah was beautiful as its one of my all time fave songs

Also (i am babbling!) Damien sat down on the stage away from the microphone (during hallelujah) and the crowd were forced to fall silent to hear but it made it even more perfect.
cloudburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
Autumn Daze
Eskimo Baby

It was perfect... till that bastard got a text message and everone laughed when Damien mentioned it in the words, then nobody could settle down for the last part of the song.

Red House Painters
Autumn Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
bigchreesh
Eskimo Baby

i was there, but sitting upstairs.

i don't understand why people come to a mellow folky gig and start talking - it was quite annoying.

i saw him in shepherd's bush where 1. the crowd were more exuberant when it counted and 2. they shut up when he was singing.

but still . . . i loved it so much. but why didn't he play the professor et la fille danse? that's probably my fave song, albeit a B-side. I expected it in the encore, instead we got 'cold water'. i pfft at you damien.

oh, and hallelujah was my leonard cohen, covered by jeff buckley in his own way. it's unfashionable to say this, but i love rufus wainwright's version. i think it's the best, and is on the shrek (god knows why) soundtrack.

xx
bigchreesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
bigchreesh
Eskimo Baby

oh also. i was freaked out by the number of people dressed exactly like me.

i once thought i was more individual than that. oh well.

xx
Old 02-18-2004, 05:25 PM   #8
threecigarettes
Eskimo Baby

It was nice to see there were other Damien fans in Cambridge. Fantastic gig, saw him at Shepherd's bush too but I thought this gig was better. No Professor was sad, but Face made up for it.
threecigarettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #9
patch22
Eskimo Regular

i was there too... met him afterwards and lisa too. beautiful people xxx gig was not good as ive seen before. good new songs though.
patch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #10
kingpleb
Eskimo Baby

the music playing before the gig was nick drake (i think), and the song he played at the end was leonard cohen's hallelujah made famous by the great jeff buckley
kingpleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:35 AM   #11
bigchreesh
Eskimo Baby

how did you meet him? did he go for a wander? i had a VIP pass that night, so was hoping to stick around to catch aglimpsebut had to bugger off home to do some work.

ah, the life of a Cambridge student.

xx
Old 02-21-2004, 05:49 PM   #12
NCBB
Eskimo Baby

Twas at the show on Monday - i loved it. I was one of those tall bastards near the front [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Damien played two songs on the electric guitar Woman Like A Man and any ideas??? I have no idea what t'other song was. Really cool though. I thought the crowd were really quiet. Loved Lisa's vocals especially at the end of Delicate and Cold Water.
NCBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:04 PM   #13
Otis
Eskimo Baby

I think the other electric guitar song was Tongue (that's what I read over on daminerice.com, where there is more traffic, but generally of an inferior quality to here, it seems).

Yes, Nick Drake, can't tell you which, only that it wasn't Bryter Layter, which is the only one I really know. So, Five Leaves Left or Pink Moon, I guess.

I've never heard LC's original Hallelujah, only a weak live version. Buckley's sublime version is unimprovable, to my mind, even by Damo, though it was heavenly to see him do it close up, despite the sodding mobile.

This cover and the rockier side of some of the new stuff confirms that Damien is in many ways heir to Buckley. (I bet Damo digs Led Zep as Jeff did, as well as tenderly aching songs too.)

I thought this was a fantastic gig. I can't believe anyone would want the fun but relatively unmoving (for me at least) Professor to the totally moving and beautiful Cold Water. This is what I love most about DR, that he provokes intense emotional reactions through his intensely emotional music, and CW is a great example of that.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #14
Awaywithefaries
Eskimo Baby

The reason I found his performance of Professor so moving was his voice in the top notes and the way it sent shivers down my spine!!! Gorgeous!
Awaywithefaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:33 PM   #15
eskimo_friend
Eskimo Baby

I agree about having shivers! He was fantastic.. when he eventually came on stage...!!

Lisa Hannigan was amazing - the gig would not have been so breathtaking if she had not been there.

I want to see him again SOON![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]