Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #1
tywy
Eskimo Regular

Default Insane gonna be a B-Side?

What ya think?

I must say I'm disappointed this didn't make it....I really enjoyed it on the Tuesday night in Vicar Street.
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
Bumpman

It was mentioned here a few months ago that the word on high was 'Insane'
wouldn't be making the cut... It's a very old song, it was first released in '95,
and putting something like 'Insane' on the album would have meant playing it on
tour constantly, maybe they just wanted to keep it as a rarity, and maybe it
just didn't fit.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

i think that all these old old old pre-O tracks will end up appearing some day in a best of or a retrospective... patience!! for now, we can be happy with the live mp3!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
tywy
Eskimo Regular

He played Insane on the Tuesday night Vicar St gig last month and that's why I got my hopes up that it might be put on the new album. It sounded great with the cello and the drums
Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 AM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Just thought it might be a hidden track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
tywy
Eskimo Regular

w00t! Here's to hoping!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Do u guys think that if we signed a petition or something like that for Insane to be released (as a hidden track, a b, whatever), it would work??????????????????? like sending an e-mail with a hundred signatures? or having all of us e-mailing the record company every day
Old 09-22-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
Bumpman

No, it wouldn't. It might work for someone who gave a flying f*ck about what their fans thought they should release. In the context you have to remember that Damien is the sort of guy who didn't mind waiting four and a half years and subjecting himself to all sorts of abuse in and out of the public light, just to make a record that he believed in, that wasn't rushed and that contained the songs he wanted to release. He's also the sort of guy who pulled out of a band he'd been with for nine years and scrapped a six album deal with Polygram the night before recording the first Juniper album, just because someone thought Eskimo shouldn't be the first single.

If he could have been badgered into releasing something that he didn't want to, believe me, it would have already happened. It was confirmed two months ago that Insane wouldn't be on the new album. If you still want to hear it then get a copy of Manna, because that's where it was released. Eleven years ago.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Thanks for the feedback... so you reckon it won't even be a b-side or a hidden track?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
Bumpman

To see it appearing as a hidden track would be highly unlikely to say the least, and that's assuming that there is hidden tracks. It might make it as a b-side, I wouldn't rule that out. All the stuff from the Juniper era seems to be taking the backseat lately, songs like Woman Like A Man, The Professor, Cross-eyed Bear and Then Go are being left as b-sides to newer stuff despite the fact that they're exceptional songs. The main thing to remember is that if 'Insane' had actually fit on the album it would have made it.

It's sort of a obvious point but a great album is more then just a playlist of songs, it's a collective piece. When a song doesn't fit in the picture it's the most horrible thing in the world to have to listen to. Bell X1 fans would tell you of the dismay when it came out that 'Monkey 61' wouldn't be on Flock, everyone had imagined it as a single, and yet it was relegated to being a b-side. Personally it was only when I heard both the album and the subsequent single that I really understood just what a sore thumb it would have been.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Gotta agree with Bumpman on this, I just can't see it as a hidden track. After the Vicar St shows I had the faint hope that they might have changed their minds about including it but I guess not... and to be honest I doubt it'll be a b-side this time around either (but I wouldn't mind being wrong!)

And bear in mind (as mentioned before in another recent thread) Insane was the only Juniper track that's resurfaced that was actually properly released while the band were still together (there's supposedly a 2nd cd to the World Is Dead single which may have contained Wooden Horse and Volcano, but I'm not gonna count that ). It's had it's day in the sun, I think all we can hope is that it's played live a little more often.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #12
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

And do you know if this recording of Insane by Juniper is available for purchase online??

Thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
Bumpman

This is what you're looking for, but it'll take more then a charming smile to find a copy. It's rarer then tits on a bowling ball.