The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-12-2004, 04:51 AM   #1
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

The Byham Theater, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

The Frames
One Set:
Keepsake, What Happens When the Heart Just Stops^*, Lay Me Down, God Blesss Mom**, Fake$, Star Star^$$

Notes:
entire set with Vyvienne on cello
^ with Lisa on keys and vocals
* with Tupelo Honey (Van Morrison)
** with A Hard Knock Life (Annie)
$ with Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)
$$ with Willie Wonka theme

Damien Rice
One Set:
Delicate, Volcano, Amie, I Remember, Woman Like a Man^, Tongue^, Eskimo Friend, Blower's Daughter^^, Face, Older Chests, Couldn't Love You More (John Martyn)$, Cold Water > Hallelujah

Encore:
Prague^, Baby Sister, Cannonball^^, Silent Night$

Notes:
"Unplugged" set - everyone sitting on stools, with Tomo on djembe
^ with Lisa on keys
^^ with Lisa on electric guitar
$ just Lisa and Vyvienne

I am having a hard time finding words to describe tonight's Easter show here in PIttsburgh. Maybe that is for the best. Leave it as pure and basic and simple as Damien and the band gave it to us. Damien, with his newly shaved head (bald, no mohawk), and the band decided to treat the incredibly attentive Pittsburgh crowd to an unplugged show - Tomo was on one djembe and the other four members sat on stools the whole time. Damien used no effects, either. They were incredibly upbeat (except for Shane) - telling stories, joking - without losing site of creating beautiful music.

I would like to think that it might have had something to do with the crowd here in Pittsburgh this evening. You could have heard a pin drop in the Byham tonight - everyone was so amazingly attentive and respectful, starting with the Frames set, actually.

The Frames began things in a perfect way, imo. Setting up a contrast to Damien's unplugged set, the Frames rocked as hard as they could for the short time they were given. And it was such a treat to have Vyvienne play for their whole set, and see Lisa sneak to the back and sit in on vocals and keys for two songs. Glen and the others were clearly having fun, and it put all of us in a great frame of mind (no pun intended) for Damien . . .

I knew we were in for something different when I noticed only the djembe rather than a whole drum kit. And the four stools. And then the band came out - and Damien was bald (he claims he was jealous of Tomo's tan, bald head) - and I knew we were really in for something different, lol.

I was going to keep this quick . . . as you can see, that is not happening. So, lets see. Delicate had a brief, unique intro (something about tomatoes) before the normal version began. After Volcano, Damien talked about how being a musician was an odd job when you think aobut it, and moved into the story about how Amie was written. I Remember was very well played (looking at the notes in my setlist book). What else . . .

After Tongue, Damien told everyone about how Vyv and Lisa have heard his song stories so many times that they claim they could tell them. So as Damien briefly teased Eskimo Friends, he asked Vyv if she wanted to tell this next story. So she complied . . . the thing is, she told the wrong story. She told the story about the Guilty Teenager that is usually attached to Me My Yoke and I, I think. So that got a chuckle out of everyone . . .

Blower's Daughter was as beautiful as you can imagine - and as a contrast, Face was straight out rocking. The John Martyn song was absolutely gorgeous - to think that Vyv and Lisa were unsure about singing that - god, it was good. (The only time loops were used were on that song, by Vyvienne.) Let me just say that it was wonderful to finally see Lisa in Pittsburgh, on Damien's third show here. She is just so amazing - she makes it seem so damn effortless.

All of the house lights were turned off for Cold Water, and I could not help but sit low in my seat and close my eyes - only to open them with the expected segue into Hallelujah.

I could go on, but it is almost one in the morning, and I should sleep before work tomorrow. As you can probably infer from how much I am gushing, it was a pretty special show here in Pittsburgh. So different from the 9:30 Club show in December. That in itself is so encouraging - if Damien continues to mix it up like he is, I am going to have to continue seeing him . . .[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Thanks for reading. I realize this is way to early to be grovelling, but if anyone finds any leads on this show in the next few days, please let me know. Thanks.

I call architecture frozen music.

- J.W. Goethe
jwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
livemusicinpa
Eskimo Baby

[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

The unplugged Damien Rice set tonight was phenominal. I was talking to a guy after the show (who as you were hoping recorded the show and said he'll be posting it here sometime) and compared the show to an acoustic performance of Bob Dylan, especially in the early part of his career. The crowd was dead silent, everyone waiting on his next word, Lisa's voice was mezmerizing. I felt my body tingle with every note. (Thats not an exaggeration) Vyvienne played the Cello so powerfully and beutifully. This is the first time I've gotten to see the band and was very impressed. I feel like I'll be able to say "I remember seeing Damien Rice in Pitts........in 20 yrs and it'll be like saying I saw the Beatles or Hendrix. I can't wait to see another performance at Bonnaroo.
livemusicinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:51 AM   #3
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I was that guy you were talkin'to afterwards LiveMusic! (I shared my setlist with you, yes? feel free to pm me w/your email addy) I was all excited about posting aboutit here first but we had to drive back hometo Cleveland inthe adjoining state.

Actually Jwelsh and you bothput itas well asIcould've but...

yep, for those folks who weren't there:we were clearlyblessed this Easter evening.It was trulysomething totellposterity about.In addition to the already mentioned stellar work of thebackingband;Damo's voicewas in peak, powerful, soaring, soul stirringformand hisguitar playingcouldn't have been more passionate yet cleaner. Suffice it to say the bootleg we got (it was actually Amandaone of my two lovely companions that taped it) should go down as one of the best sounding, most sought afterof this tour. The acoustics were gorgeous in there and the audience were quiet as mice.

Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:03 AM   #4
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for a great review jwelsh!... and welcome! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

and welcome to you too livemusicinpa! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #6
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Suffice it to say the bootleg we got (it was actually Amandaone of my two lovely companions that taped it) should go down as one of the best sounding, most sought afterof this tour. The acoustics were gorgeous in there and the audience were quiet as mice.
Me likes what me hears! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #7
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

Suffice it to say the bootleg we got (it was actually Amanda*one of my two lovely companions that taped it) should go down as one of the best sounding, most sought after*of this tour
Those reviews rocked. Thanks.. One question though.. Did your friend actually throw a stand up to record or did she have to stealth it in a hat or something similiar?
Thanks and feeling bits of jealous here. Cheers
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #8
administrator
forum administrator

ooooh tupelo honey!! that sounds like it was an amazing night. thanks for sharing!!
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Great review - thanks! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #10
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Yeah, thanks. I'm so glad people are starting to post set lists and reviews [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #11
absltcit33
Eskimo Friend

I can't wait for the recording, it must have been stealh? Because I didn't see any stand mics.

Damien Rice- 4/11
absltcit33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #12
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

She had a stealth stylemini disc but it wasn't necessary to put it in a hat or anythingas the theatre seating was dark forthe whole show. She's handling the uploading to the comp etc.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:28 PM   #13
korbnep
Eskimo Baby

Very good show, quick correction, I believe the Van Morrison song was 'Caravan.' A shame to see Lisa at less than 100%, but Vyvienne and Damien more than covered the gap!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #14
DamosFavEyes
Long Time No SeEskimo

jwelsh! your synopsis of the show last night is so thorough! i coudln't have told it better myself. i can read that over and over and actually relive that experience, because you did such a great job. thanks!

btw.. did you like the Willy Wonka that the Frames did? i thought it was brilliant!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:45 AM   #15
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

wow....im really happy i didnt write my review last night.

i mean..i of course started it and all..

but for some reason i didnt think i could put it into very good words,

at least not be able to communicate the night to others well..

so yes...everyone had made such great reviews...again...if i remember anything ill add...

but im not gonna get anywhere near close to thesegreat reviews already made..

last night was phenomenal...and magical almost..

it changed my constant, unerring mood from 'i just dont freaking know anymore'

to 'i dont know...but oh well'

cheers all[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #16
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
She had a stealth stylemini disc but it wasn't necessary to put it in a hat or anythingas the theatre seating was dark forthe whole show. She's handling the uploading to the comp etc.
Are there any news on this recording Spamlet? How's it going? Does it sound as great as you first thought it would? I sure hope so! I cannot wait to hear it! It soundslike an unique andamazing show! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 PM   #17
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

it's a hard knock life?! that must've been classic!

come to think of it, glen looks a bit like annie if you squint...[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2004, 09:50 PM   #18
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I'll beseeing her tonight at weeklykaraoke (don't worry- we'll sing "Cannonball")so I'll ask her how it came out...
Old 04-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #19
korbnep
Eskimo Baby

I loved the wonka bit
Old 04-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #20
korbnep
Eskimo Baby

and if you guys are around Pitt, what's this karaoke stuff?
Old 04-14-2004, 01:35 AM   #21
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbnep

Karaoke? What are you referring to?

- J.W. Goethe
Old 04-14-2004, 02:05 AM   #22
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Great review, Jeremy! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]Thanks for sharing! I saw the Madison show and really did want to just take off and follow Damien and the band for the rest of the tour..... these reviews kind of let one do that in a way..... Thanks again!

Sis~
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #23
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

Great review, Jeremy! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]Thanks for sharing! I saw the Madison show and really did want to just take off and follow Damien and the band for the rest of the tour..... these reviews kind of let one do that in a way..... Thanks again!

Sis~

Thanks for the kind words, Sis. I will say that we are going to be heading up to the Cleveland show in a week and a half - so we will at least be catching two shows this tour. And while Pittsburgh was magical in the unplugged setting, I am actually hoping for a drawn-out electric set at the Odeon. We shall see . . .

- J.W. Goethe
Old 04-14-2004, 12:54 PM   #24
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh

Quote:

http://www.our-adams-family.co.uk/em...um/forum_posts. asp?TID=3337&PN=1

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #25
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelsh

Quote:

http://www.our-adams-family.co.uk/emmett//forum/forum_posts. asp?TID=3337&PN=1

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Gotcha. Thanks. Not sure how I missed that . . .

I wonder where that is happening. And I would be kind of surprised if Pittsburgh karaoke machines had Damien, but who knows . . .

- J.W. Goethe
Old 04-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #26
marina
Eskimo Regular

excellent reviews [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #27
A.R.Plescott
Eskimo Baby

Hey all, i mainly lurk but i can't find spamlet's e-mail to let him know that i think the recording came out pretty good. I burned it to cd last night. But i don't really have any techy words to describe it. Once doug (spamlet) hears it i am sure he will write all about the recording. What i can say is that it sounds pretty clear to me and there is miniumal crowd sounds. I think i did a pretty good job for my first time recording, but doug will be able to tell ya all for sure.

a.r.plescott
A.R.Plescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #28
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

i wanna be the 1st one to say
thank you sooo much for recording the show!!!![img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 07:57 PM   #29
livemusicinpa
Eskimo Baby

JWelsh what are the odds of getting a MD into the Odean? I've never been there before and was thinkning of bringing my MD to record the next show in Cleveland
livemusicinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 PM   #30
jwelsh
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by livemusicinpa
JWelsh what are the odds of getting a MD into the Odean? I've never been there before and was thinkning of bringing my MD to record the next show in Cleveland

To be honest, I have never been to The Odeon. I have driven from Pittsburgh to see many shows in Cleveland (Agora, CSCC, Beachland, Peabody's) but not The Odeon. I would suggest that you take it - and just be prepared to run to your car.

- J.W. Goethe