Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 06-22-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

Default Global Cooling- a possiblity in the near future

After coming back from Bonnaroo and seeing a ton of people extremely passionate about preventing global warming I thought that I should do a little more research on the issue because it is so popular in the media today. One of the articles that I read seems to present a logical point that we may need to worry about global cooling in the year 2020, similar to the cooling in the late 17th century and into the early 18th century. The article seems to present a valid point and it says that we need to do more research in the area of climate change rather than just throw our money out on a theory that has become extremely popular through the media, many scientists, and many schools. It just reminded me that a lot of the evidence we use to justify spending money on global warming is inconclusive and should not be taken as definate truth yet, it seems that in many circles disagreeing with the theory that the current global warming is caused by humans automatically makes you unintelligent and unwilling to accept the truth, anyone who says that is really the pot calling the kettle black not because they are neccesarily incorrect but because they have their minds made up about an unverified theory.

Here's an excerpt of the global cooling article

"In some fields the science is indeed "settled." For example, plate tectonics, once highly controversial, is now so well-established that we rarely see papers on the subject at all. But the science of global climate change is still in its infancy, with many thousands of papers published every year. In a 2003 poll conducted by German environmental researchers Dennis Bray and Hans von Storch, two-thirds of more than 530 climate scientists from 27 countries surveyed did not believe that "the current state of scientific knowledge is developed well enough to allow for a reasonable assessment of the effects of greenhouse gases." About half of those polled stated that the science of climate change was not sufficiently settled to pass the issue over to policymakers at all.

Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe solar cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth. Beginning to plan for adaptation to such a cool period, one which may continue well beyond one 11-year cycle, as did the Little Ice Age, should be a priority for governments. It is global cooling, not warming, that is the major climate threat to the world, especially Canada. As a country at the northern limit to agriculture in the world, it would take very little cooling to destroy much of our food crops, while a warming would only require that we adopt farming techniques practiced to the south of us.

Meantime, we need to continue research into this, the most complex field of science ever tackled, and immediately halt wasted expenditures on the King Canute-like task of "stopping climate change."

full article here: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...4068db11f4&p=4
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

My other half is a geologist and he reckons that an ice age is overdue.