Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 03-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #31
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I think respect is the key for all involved.. Silence is good when appropriate.The loud songs loud cheering is fine I think. In my show in Portland there was a good balance, but when people are hollering things durring the quiet parts of the songs,or chatting loudly, that would piss anyone off.. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] I think that is all Damien wants.. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:47 PM   #32
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

patricia...iam not so sure. when we pay our money to see a show we would think that we would be able to party a bit and have a good time. sure it is absurd when fans are disrespectful and obnoxious but short of that simply partying along should not be grounds for a tirade and shortened show. id of course prefer to continue seeing him at small clubs but, just my opinion, he is going to have to be a bit more flexible if he is going to want to cash in on these larger venues...
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #33
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I really don't think that having a good time is what Damien is against.. Its just the assholes who are constanly shouting things durring his songs. How is that having a good time.. If you are there to hear his music then you have to be somewhat quiet to hear it [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] People can listen to the cd at home if they don't want to respect rules of concert etiquette.(SHOWING RESPECT FOR THE OTHER FANS THERE AND THE ARTIST)It's pretty simple really [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 03-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #34
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

i think we have foundour middle ground...when was the portland show and how larger of a venue? any surprises in the setlist?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:52 PM   #35
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

The Portland show was in October of last year.. I think there was around 1500 seats, It was sold out.. Damien was sitting through most of the show and so was the crowd untill the encore when many went up in front of the stage and stood or/and danced..But while he was singing the really quiet songs it was silent. The loud ones people were singing and a bit of dancing.. The setlist was all of the songs on O, including Prague.which was my highlight.. He did Yolk, Insane, The Professor and Woman like a Man. And durring his encore he did the most amazing version of Led Zeppelins Baby I'm going to Leave you, which is my fav Zeppelin song, and Princes When Doves Cry.. I can't remember all of the songs but he was in a great mood. Lisa was not there, so I am really looking forward to having her there..CHEERS, here's to middle ground [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

Old 03-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #36
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanfan
Apologies for the "fond" size.*[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img]Just getting experimental here...
Hee, hee. Thanks! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #37
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

julie: sounds like the show i saw in new york in december when he played a small, very small, club in the village. maybe 300 people. it was awesome. babe im gonna leave alsoa highlight for me.hope to hear it again when he plays the beacon in april. i fear the size of the place for damien thoguh --about 3000 i think.thanks for the reveiw.

angela: how'd you find damien in morocco? gotta tell you it was tough enough to find him in new york...
Old 03-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #38
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I found him in Boston quite easily. (Eskimos like to move around a bit [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] ) I already listened to his music before he starting touring the US, so I knew he was coming.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:27 AM   #39
jendolyn
Eskimo Regular

sentences like "payed my good money" I don't know, is it me? They are absurd in this context. They can't apply.. the nature of thething doesn'tallow them. Does it???

It makes sense in a context where you are confronted with a professional that implies his skill for an end result that is attainable as long as he isn't negligent (an electrician, an engineer, a mechanic, a what have you). But how is it applicable in cases in which not the skill but the person come into question?

There was a scene in a movie (movie that I didn't even particularly like) where a rogue, an ignorant bastard, a call-him-what-you-will was in a field and he had just taken a (sorry don't know a polite word for it) and in the absence of anything else he took a book another soldier had been reading, ripped some pages and used that as toilet paper. That is vandalizing something beautiful. How is it not the same thing people being a**holes by shouting stuff while you're singing? How can you, that have crafted it, remain indifferent to that? You'd have to be pretty insensitive and thick skinned but then, the question is, if you were that thick skinned could you ever have composed those songs? I think that in all this debate there is a not so hidden catch-22. You love the man for who he is through his songs but then want him to rid himself of himself because you payed good money to see him perform?
jendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote