Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 10-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Default Commitments tour??

It seems a little late for this to be an April Fools joke but... I haven't heard anything until now. Apparently, everyone's on board (including Glen!) except Maria Doyle Kennedy.

Irish tour in March, more international dates possible later...

Reunited Commitments are Belfast-bound

The stars of surprise hit movie The Commitments will perform together again today for the first time in almost 20 years — and are preparing to take to the stage in Belfast.

Nearly two decades after they burst onto the big screen, the group's original members will resume their places in the soul revue for a short set as part of a news conference in Dublin's Liberty Hall theatre today to announce three dates around Ireland next year, marking the 20th anniversary of the film's release.

Only original backing singer Maria Doyle Kennedy will be missing, as Glen Hansard, Andrew Strong, Robert Arkins, Michael Aherne, Angeline Ball, Dave Finnegan, Bronagh Gallagher, Felim Gormley, Dick Massey and Ken McCluskey reveal news of the dates in March next year.

A film adaptation of a novel of the same name by author Roddy Doyle, the movie won a BAFTA for best film and became a worldwide hit on release in 1991, telling the story of a gang of unemployed Dubliners who form a soul band.

Promoter Darryl Downey is the man behind the 2011 reunion tour, having spent months in discussions with the stars of the original film to see if they would perform a tour next year to mark the film's anniversary.

Sources say that original members are said to have agreed to the tour just for the “vibe” of regrouping with their former co-stars for live dates around St Patrick's Day next year in Belfast, Dublin, Killarney and Castlebar.

They say that although the live dates being announced today are only in Ireland, promoters have an eye to taking the tour overseas.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Rai
Eskimontologist

I'm pretty sure that a couple dudes from the film did tour as The Commitments after the film. Practically everyone who didn't become a professional actress or a lead singer of The Frames.

Too bad for Kennedy, she's pretty badass.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...bbfbbba534%2C0

in this article it says tickets will go on sale on october 15th, so it looks like thos four gigs or so will happen...
Old 01-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

all the gigs are dated now, included st. patrick´s festival one, on march 19th (jeez... i said to myself last year that i would be in ireland by paddy´s day 2011 i guess it would be in 2012...):
Quote:
They will also perform in The Royal Theatre, Castlebar, Co. Mayo on March 14th, The INEC in Killarney, Co. Kerry on March 15th and The Odyssey, Belfast on March 17th.
commitments gigs