Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Black Swan, anyone?

Anyone watched Black Swan already??? I did watch last nite and I'm still shocked!!! what an amazing movie!!!! best I've watched in ages, probably in the last 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but but I'm not sure I understood it well

anyone wanna talk about it??????????????????
Old 01-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
dawno
just mildly free

I saw it yesterday, and thought it was good, but not great. Perhaps I had too high expectations based on all of the press its received, but I did walk away slightly disappointed.

I loved the way it was shot: tight close ups, and its grainy, dark look. The cast was superb, Natalie Portman was fantastic, but Vincent Cassel stole the scenes he was in. Barbara Hershey was frightening as the mother - reminding me of the creepy mom in the movie Carrie. Nina's descent into utter madness was disturbing and fascinating, but I found it frustrating that this film was at times more of a horror flick than a psychological thriller.

The confusion of not being certain if what we were seeing was reality or simply what was happening in Nina's mind makes me think that watching it again might give me a more favorable opinion of the film. That's not to say that I disliked it, I was simply hoping for more.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^I understand, luckily I didn't know a thing about the movie beforehand so had zero expectations, didn't even know it was the new Aranofsky's film

The last part sure needs a re-watching!!! Cos I'm not sure if I got it right... *SPOILERS* In my opinion, the last part was real, but got some friends who thought it was another hallucination??
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
dawno
just mildly free

^i did know that it was Aranofsky which also added to my expectations.

yes, you have it right; the ending WAS real. in her mad desire for perfection, she felt that was the only way to achieve it in that performance. i can understand why some would question the ending, since it was never really clear throughout the film what was reality versus hallucination.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote