Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
EskimoFag
Eskimo Baby

Default There is no God. (I do not respect your beliefs.)

I don't know if this has been done but I felt like sharing my Atheist views.

[15:03] (Z) Kevin: god isn't something creative, it's something that is created, and I'm not talking falsity
[15:04] (Z) Kevin: it's just how everything works, things that are beyond what is possible to understand, energy I suppose. It's just the state of being. You can't really say that dosn't exist
[15:04] Me: The God your describing sounds completely unnecessary.
[15:06] (Z) Kevin: hardly, unnecessary for humans to be aware of perhaps, but we are. It becomes necessary once we start to question what it is, because it's the basis of our intellectual and cultural life, and that's no bad thing
[15:07] Me: That makes no sense at all.
[15:08] Me: I mean, literally, I shouldn't even have to argue with that. If you apply rationality to it for about three seconds it completely collapses.
[15:09] (Z) Kevin: rationality is proof of god, so it would do
[15:09] Me: That's idiotic.
[15:10] Me: Rationality is a naturally occurring phenomena that is the product of billions of years of evolution.
[15:10] (Z) Kevin: and what do you suppose nature is part of?
[15:10] Me: Nature.
[15:10] (Z) Kevin: God, I think
[15:11] Me: No.
[15:11] Me: Nature is nature.
[15:11] Me: It needn't be part of anything.

Nature needn't be God. Nature is just nature and it encompasses everything! He started telling me that nature was part of "God" and that "God" was the source of reason and that "God" lives in his penis and blah blah blah.

It's total nonsense. And he wants someone to sit at the other end and nod and praise his insight into things when he's making wild and unfounded presuppositions about the completely unknown.

Pain and Rationality can be attributed to Evolution.

Chance is something which does not need to be created.

Nature encompasses all of existence, and while we don't know the exact reasons behind it, we've all but completely ruled out God.

Evolution doesn't need a reason. Purpose is a subjective human notion that likely has no place in an objective view of the universe.

A question I hear alot is:

"Why do you think that people for so many years beleived in God and Fate?"

For the same reason that they believed that the earth was flat, that the earth was the center of the universe, that rain was from the ocean in the sky, that the sun revolved around the earth, that a fetus can incubate in mud, that Zeus lives atop Mount Olympus, that epilepsy was a sign of demonic possession, that Earthquakes were caused by venom being dropped in Loki's eye, that droughts and famine were the wrath of the gods, that women were made from mans ribs, that disease was caused by evil spirits, etc.
BECAUSE THEY WERE STUPID PRIMITIVE ****S WHO DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER!

Faith in Science? I don't need faith in science. Science is supported by evidence. The computer you're looking at right now is a product of science, not faith. It doesn't work because you believe in it, but because brilliant men and women worked hard to make it work.

God is a hypothesis that should be treated exactly like any other hypothesis. It's longevity does not afford it special consideration. It's popularity does not afford it special consideration. Your faith in it does not afford it special consideration. It must stand or fall on its own merits.

Here is the state of things: The God Hypothesis has been tested and it has failed. God has been all but completely disproven by both the laws of nature and the laws of probability. All you are doing is looking at the gaps in scientific knowledge and saying, "That's where God is. He's in the gaps!"

Amazingly, the gaps get thinner and thinner, but we've still yet to uncover any trace of God. He isn't out there. I don't know it for an absolute fact--no one can--but the probability of their being a real God is the same as the probability of their being a real Godzilla (gamma radiation breath and all).

Can't you see that postulating that God is in the gaps in our knowledge is no more or less credible than saying that that's where the flying lasagna monster exists?

Faith is irrelevant.

Most people on earth have faith. Even I have faith (in humanity). Fact is, faith and truth and mutually exclusive concepts. Right now, someone has faith in Allah, Shiva, The Snake God and probably hundreds of dozens of other entities that you would find completely improbable.

Your god is exactly the same as Odin to me. One myth is in no way superior to the other (in terms of entertainment value, the Norse kick your guys' asses).

But by far, the dumbest argument Christians make--and that's saying something--is, "It's faith. Deal with it."

Your god is a lie. I don't need faith to know that.

If there is a God, he can be proven like anything else. The fact that we've uncovered no evidence of him and have been able to explain many of his supposed functions with secular ideas can lead us to the pretty firm conclusion that he is not there or, if he is, is pretty damned irrelevant.

But you're a Christian. You're not arguing for a deist god who just set things in motion and went about his business (still unlikely, but at least not outright batty). You believe in a God that interfers in human affairs, had a son who died for our sins (a sin that many Christian Evolutionists claim is merely symbolic--but if there were no Adam and Eve then what was Christ getting nailed to his sticks for?) and punishes and rewards us for believing in him.

"Science doesn't stop."

There is no knowledge beyond our grasp. The things we don't know today, we may know tomorrow. That's the beauty of science. It changes, adapts, conforms to new challenges and new ideas. It is not set in stone, it does not require faith and it explains away most of the "irreducible complexity" that we once attributed to God.

Another questions I hear:"Why, if you truly believe that there is no God, can you not be satisfied to simply let us be?"

REASON ONE:

Because you won't stop injecting your crazy moral ideas into policy as if they have a basis in reasonable thought.

-Gay Marriage
-Stem Cell Research
-Euthanasia
-The Death Penalty
-Dry County Laws
-Laws against atheists holding state office in several states
-Safesex education in schools
-The teaching of evolution in schools
-Tax exempt status for churches
-Organizations such as the Boyscouts and Alcoholics Anonymous which promote Christian values receive preferential treatment and funds directly from the government, despite the unconstitutionality of such preferences.

Most of this apply only to the American Christian Right.

REASON TWO:

Because I am a second-class citizen (and person) in the eyes of many people.

-Only 49% of people polled said that they would vote for an Atheist politician, even if they agreed with every single one of his stances.

-"I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." ~George H W Bush

-A 2006 study at the University of Minnesota showed atheists to be the most distrusted minority among Americans.

-There is tons of anectodal evidence about Atheists losing their jobs, being refused services, attacked and even sometimes killed because of their beliefs (or lack thereof).

REASON THREE:

It divides people who needn't be divided. People are driven apart by religion. Ask the Irish (Not Kevin . . . some smart Irish).

REASON FOUR:

You guys scare the **** out of kids! "Little Billy, if you touch your peepee like that, Jesus is going to send you to a pit of flames to burn for all time!"

That's an obvious exaggeration (well, not for some), but seriously, I don't think it's at all healthy to teach children about a place where they'll go to burn for all time if they don't believe in what you do. I went to a very moderate Christian church as a child and we still learned about hell when we were very small and maleable. Why would you tell an 8-year-old that they're going to burn and suffer forever if they don't love something that they can't even understand?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

if you dont respect others beliefs then i see no point in this rant.
id read it all if i had the time to spend online hearing some preach. and thats exactly what this is, its not opinion or belief its preaching.

try to debate something if you want a discussion, otherwise theres plenty of blogs online to post stuff like this...

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Don't feed the troll, Simon!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
BIG TIM
Polar bear

EskimoFag,
I hope you enjoyed your little rant, and reffering to your thread title (I do not Respect your beliefs), if you can't respect others views or beliefs, the igloo aint for you.

get happy!
Old 01-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Everyone diserves the same rights. So you can go ahead and make sure and protest to have your rights.

However, you're not gonna achieve that by trying to convert people to atheism. If you had enough proof that there is not god. It would have been arround before you and the people who are religious would already have faced it and converted yno.

Most people find something to worship and cling on to. Music, Fame, Money, Religion, Anti-religion. Because it makes them think they know who they are. But at the end of it, it actualy makes no difference whatsoever.

So you comming here saying "Denounce because of this that and the other" means little to me, and about as much as saying "Join GOD, because of this that and the other". I know what i believe and don't believe, and i'm not going to change anybodies mind about that.

The actual theory of god, the world was created by some big old man in the sky. Actually does no harm, as we know there is no proof of how the universe came to be. Only indications. And what does universe expansion matter if you believe in god. So u cant use that argument.

It's just a theory that some people belive and others don't. Everything else you said, is about people, and not about god. It's about their insecurities they just manifest it in religion. If they couldn't, they'd probably manifest it in anti-religion, or in excess, or money, or drugs.

So please your not going to fix a damn thing by preaching, or by writing of religious people as not understanding the "truth" because i shall tell you they've got enough proof to convince them, even if you don't respect that.

If you wanna change lives look at those close to you yno, and most of the immediate pain you'll find can be solved, not at all easilly, but without even having to consider their religion.
Closed Thread