Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #31
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiejoey
wow, this thread turned pretty harsh. Spamlet, you sound like me getting all defensive
Anyways, love that picture, I love the way Lisa is just syanding there looking all pretty.
Sis is correct, so I apologize to everybody else but admit that this rob guy's almost constant putting us down as losers and/or psychos had gotten to me. You can only hear that so many times before it gets really tiresome and starts to piss you off.

Last edited by Spamlet; 01-14-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #32
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

I never said you were phycos, but you do have to start to think where to draw the line, you say not to be involved with personel issues of damo. Well, i think an intriqute detail such as the type of cigs he prefurs is a bit too far, i mean if you were in a position of "fame" would you be slightly worried when people started discussing the type of wine you drink and whether the colour of your hair is slightly darker than yesterday or somthing.

Its important to know the philosophy behind the man, so you can understand and relate to him as an artist, but that should be as far as it is taken. I mean theres no problem with having a bit of fun with asking silly questions, but the way this one came accross is that the poster was seriously interested in what cigs he smokes, now thats unhealthy.
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #33
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcgrail
I never said you were phycos, but you do have to start to think where to draw the line, you say not to be involved with personel issues of damo. Well, i think an intriqute detail such as the type of cigs he prefurs is a bit too far, i mean if you were in a position of "fame" would you be slightly worried when people started discussing the type of wine you drink and whether the colour of your hair is slightly darker than yesterday or somthing.

Its important to know the philosophy behind the man, so you can understand and relate to him as an artist, but that should be as far as it is taken. I mean theres no problem with having a bit of fun with asking silly questions, but the way this one came accross is that the poster was seriously interested in what cigs he smokes, now thats unhealthy.
You've certainly implied both those designations.

I agree: cigarettes are unhealthy.

However, if no one cared about what products celebrities used then why do stars do commercials endorsing their preferred brand? Clearly it is something that has always interested and potentially influences the general public and therefore there's nothing unusual about asking such a question.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #34
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
However, if no one cared about what products celebrities used then why do stars do commercials endorsing their preferred brand? Clearly it is something that has always interested and potentially influences the general public and therefore there's nothing unusual about asking such a question.
Only in a society where you relate products to someone's personality, I'm sure there's someone out there who doesn't...

... I hope so.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:59 AM   #35
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Only in a society where you relate products to someone's personality, I'm sure there's someone out there who doesn't...

... I hope so.
Agreed. Still, my point was that it's hardly out of the norm in Western society.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:10 AM   #36
Bumpman

Yeah, you're right... It's not necessarily a bad thing either, but on the subject of other people's lives right and wrong are never definite, it's always a grey area.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:14 AM   #37
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

I have tried not posting on this thread because of my hatred for ciggarettes. (and I am not going to say anything about that here, though).

I think that this thread should be let down unless the silly bickering stops. I am not saying who is right and wrong, I just think this shouldn't have turned in this train wreck.

I don't know, I just felt I wanted to say something, and I guess I kind of did. I just think that . . . whatever.

Anyways, that's all I'll say on this thread. Cherrio
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #38
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Gotta side with Cille on this one. Spamlet, there was no need to come off so elitist.
Imagine Spamlet coming off elitist. No way.
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #39
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Apparently, you missed my last line. None of us were being all that serious about it,afaict. Personally, like I said, if I'd really been obsessed about this I'd have noticed while I was standing two feet away watching him roll. You may have guessed I'm not a smoker. Rolling tobacco seems far less objectionable for me. I even smoked some apple-blended stuff from a hookah once with some Indian pals. Just a much less harsh experience somehow (I've had to smoke onstage for different roles: unfiltered Lucky Strikes were a fate even my smoker friends cringed at, nowadays I insist on the herbals onstage).
I never thought you were obsessed with his tobacco brand, Spamlet. I just thought it was fair enough for rob to say that this topic was one of the not-so-healthy topics around here as I kind of agree. I basically wanted to defend his right to say so. But hey, it's no biggie, and deep down I don't really care much to be honest, I'd rather just have a group hug and get it over with
Old 01-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #40
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniffer
Imagine Spamlet coming off elitist. No way.
Yeah, you're right. That'd be impossible.

I could never imagine Sniff coming off sarcastic either.

Cille-vania, no need to apologize m'darlin'! But hey, thanks! Mmm. I love gettin' hugs from my sexy eskys!

P.S. Sean and I weren't even quarreling to my knowledge so I figured it had all 'been over with' for quite awhile now (since my apology and rob's). Guess I see now that changing your emotional tone after a fight in a thread needs to be reaaallllly hella exaggerrated or it can easily appear to outsiders that the ensuing posts are still part of that same belligerant tenor long after the poster has already mellowed back down. Lesson, valuably, learned.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #41
Bumpman

I didn't think I was involved in an argument either... Pistols at dawn Spamlet?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #42
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Either Lisa isn't really that heavy of a smoker or else she quit (although someone here just sang w/ her in a Boston 7-11 and I think they said she was buying a pack then).
i was one of the people that sang with her in the 7-11...i dont remember her buying a pakc either before or after we sang because we just sorta walked in sang and walked out then just hung out outside again....maybe she quit..
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #43
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

the next thread will probably be about which brand undewear he's wearing. maybe none at all... or hemp...?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #44
cille
creepycute

homegrown organic vegetable patchwork undies is my guess..
Old 01-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #45
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

well, now i need a cigarette
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #46
dramaking
King of Pain

i will ask him about the underwear in cologne. and that i want to have a worn one!