Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
mesmerised
Eskimo Baby

Default Fremantle Arts Centre 15 February 2007

There has been a few posts about this gig on the Tour Countdown thread, Shard has put up the set list and put some links for some video footage on youtube. Just one question i need to ask everyone - I thought if i started a thread in the gigs area it might get an answer.

There was a song played by Damien after Lisa sang 'Be my Husband'. I'd never heard it before and attempted to remember some of the lyrics but failed. The only lyrics i can give you are 'the girl with black hair'

Does anyone know what this song may have been?
mesmerised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
mesmerised
Eskimo Baby

Seeing as i've started the thread I thought I may as well put my review here too.

Being the first date of the tour I was slightly worried that we might get an average performance due to nerves or jet lag. Far from being disappointed, Damien & Co delivered a great performance, more than I could imagine.

Just setting the mood, it was an outdoor gig – I think Shard has explained it was a bit windy, let me add it was also a little bit cold but I can not complain because at least we did not get the forecasted rain. We had the most beautiful sunset and cloud formation happening towards the back of the stage – just created the most amazing backdrop.

Fionn Regan was first off – I only discovered him through knowing he would be supporting Damien. I’ve been listening to his debut CD and was looking forward to hearing some of his songs live. So you can imagine my disappointment when he started to sing and the crowd just kept carrying on with their conversations. I guess with it being an outdoor venue people probably thought they could get away with this behaviour but I just felt incredibly embarrassed by it all. Fionn obviously picked up on the ‘uninterested mode’ and just played his set – no chatting - I truly felt for him . He put on a faultless vocal performance, I’m sure if he had spoken with that Irish accent he might have got a bit more attention. Still what I did manage to hear – I really enjoyed and I guess I’m thankful for that.

So Damien followed about half hour later, starting off with Cannonball which was just a beautiful opener. Finally seeing Damien perform live , you can’t imagine how many times I have dreamt of this moment. No amount of listening to his songs or watching video footage prepares you for hearing that first song. Damien just seems to transport me to another place and I can only think of a handful of artists that have ever had that type of effect on me. Seeing him perform live I was in that zone, never felt like I could have been anywhere else, he got me with that first song. Trying to pick a favourite moment of the show its hard to come up with in what can only be described as a beautiful couple of hours. I guess my obvious answer would be my favourite 'Elephant' but then there was The Professor (don’t get me started on Lisa’s performance it was fantastic)Rootless Tree, Amie flowing into Eskimo, Delicate, Cold Water , I remember, 9 crimes, Grey room ….oh I could pretty much name the whole set list - every song was just fantastic. Vivienne surprised me with Seven Nation Army –totally loved how she performed that. It definetly got the crowd going and my heart went out to Damien having to follow on from that song. Still I think he could have sang anything and the crowd would have loved it. Never at any time did I feel disappointed or let down by Damien – he just seemed to excel far beyond what I ever imagined.

So now onto Lisa – what can I say about this woman – what a beautiful voice, so powerful, so strong – at times I almost wished I could just have listened to her sing all night. Her performance in The Professor was just beautiful, she literally won over the crowd with that song alone. Be my husband just confirmed how amazing she was and then her mishap with the words to I remember probably gained her even more fans.

On a parting note – the final song – I hate to say this but I truly did not want to hear Blowers Daughter even though it’s the song that made me discover his music. I knew that it would be the crowds favourite and constantly throughout the night people were shouting ‘play the Blowers Daughter” . I had visions that everyone would want to sing along with it and we had a fair few drunken people around us that I just knew would spoil the song. I was just praying that Damien would either not play it or thrash out an alternative version (oh that death metal version would have been brilliant) to shake up the crowds expectation. Needless to say, he gave into the crowd, sang it with perfection - along with the people around me singing totally out of tune.

A very safe performance, played the hits, won over the crowd...a perfect great opener to the tour.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I can't think of any song with a girl with black hair...

During the US Dec dates, the only newie he did was in the East Coast, a song people refered as You Shouldn't Be Here that he played once but no one recorded... Was 'You shouldn't be here' mentioned in your song??
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Blowers Daughter
Eskimo Baby

Thumbs up Blown Away

I attended the Adelaide gig on saturday night and it was exceeded my expectations. I have waited years to see Damien and Lisa live and it was a dream come true, we were blown away!

To start with Fionn Regan was just brilliant I wished more of the audience gave him the attention he deserved, but I guess that is hard part of being the warm up act. I bought his CD I was so impressed and am listening to it as I write this.

Well, where to start with Damien! He immediately won the audienence over when he strolled out onto the stage, picked up his guitar and said in his lilting irish accent "how's it going?".

He then proceeded to play for about an hour without a break. Every song just beautiful/powerful/mesmerising. At one point, he sang with no microphone and his voice still carried clear and strong across the theatre.

Lisa, as usual, sang like an angel and as always complimented Damien's voice perfectly. Vivienne sang her song which bought the house down and Damien left the stage so all the attention was on her - great stuff.

Damien sang Accidental Babies as part of his encore that bought tears to my eyes, it was so delicate and earnest.

I could go on and on and on! In short, this was definately one of the best concerts I have ever seen!
Blowers Daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Tom
Eskimo Friend

Wahey, someone else who went to the Adelaide concert. Wasnt it great!!

Damien was singing Then Go to the audience, I loved that. Lisa sang Willy. Vivienne sang that song by Pink, is it Get the Party Started?

In regard to the songs you dont know, I'm just putting up the second song now of the ones he sang in Adelaide that I didnt recognise. Already fallen in love with one of them. Might help you out.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...eoid=1979097746

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...eoid=1979116609

Last edited by Tom; 02-19-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
mesmerised
Eskimo Baby

Default That mystery song...

Borneoman - I wish i could remember more of the words but i can't. I do recall Damien mentioning (at some point of the show) that this was his first show for a while and that he had been writing songs....so maybe this could of been one of the new songs and he was testing it out.

Tom - i can't view/here those links you put up - but to be honest i don't even think i would recall the song if i heard it again.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
Tom
Eskimo Friend

Very strange. Well I posted the same links on this thread and they work from there:

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...9&page=1&pp=30
Old 02-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
mesmerised
Eskimo Baby

what do they say, its the user not the computer...which is probably true in my case- i'm pretty crap with things like this. Saying that i've been reduced to dial up speed instead of broadband. Hmmm been looking at to much Damien footage on youtube i think
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
Shelleybean
Eskimo Baby

I was at the Adelaide show on Saturday night too. It was absolutely amazing. I flew over to see Damien in Melbourne the last time he was here and was completely blown away then - but Saturday night was something else. It was so great seeing him with the band this time around. For the majority of the set I pretty much swang between the brink of tears to being completely covered from head to toe in goose-bumps. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! My favourite for the night was probably Eskimo with all the lights out. Awesome!

My friend and I had a crack and remembering the set list - there is plenty missing and its way out of order, but this is what we remembered

Blowers Daughter
Volcano
Coconut Skins
9 Crimes
Woman Like a Man
Rootless Tree
Older Chests
I Remember
Then Go
7 Nation Army
Animals Were Gone
Cold Water
**ENCORE**
Accidental Babies
Cannonball
Eskimo

I took a few pics too -

Just as a little side note - apparently the promoter held back many of the tickets in the first three rows, so lots of people that were sat there had purchased their tix in the week leading up to the show. We were in the second row and the usher was telling us about it when he was taking us to our seats.
Shelleybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Tom
Eskimo Friend

yeah, I bought a ticket for my brother on the morning of the show and he ended up on the front row!