Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 03-28-2004, 04:45 AM   #1
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Hey, I just figured out that Kathleen and I are both going to the Madison gig on April 7th. Anyone else going to be there? What type of place is the Barrymore Theatre? (if you've been there before, that is) Kind of a refurbished old theatre-turned-small aud venue or nightclub or what? I'm really looking forward to the whole experience and wondered what type of atmosphere/ambience to expect. Maybe we'll see you there! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Sis~
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Kathleen
Eskimo Friend

Here I is! I'll be there with a friend who's new to Damien... I've not been to this theatre, either... though it IS Madison, so it should be cool. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] (I live just an hour south of the Mad City.) We're probably going to grab some ethnic food and brews before the show. Sis, what do your plans currently entail?
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Hey Kath-- not sure. Have never been to Madison before. But have heard it's a way cool town. Do they have good thai food there? or indian? Would ask about home-brew joints too but I'm bringing my son along so probably won't be partying it up like you guys! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Have fun at the show!!! I can't wait! 5 days and counting!!! Your friend will be a new convert I'm sure, esp. after seeingDamien live. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]My new mantra..... "God bless Damien Rice!"

Sis~
Old 04-03-2004, 12:13 AM   #4
Kathleen
Eskimo Friend

Madison has a TON of good ethnic restaurants. Do a little Googly-Google... it'll keep you busy for a while! Brewpubs are numerous, too -- I'm looking forward to trying some locally-brewed stuff myself.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
Andman32
Eskimo Baby

Hey guys, I'm a new transplant in Wisconsin, just moved here from Illinois after college. I'm about an hour west of Madison, closer to Milwaukee. Looking forward to my first Damien show andvisit to Madison. Any tips on where to eat before/go out afterwards? Thanks and have a great time at the show.
Andman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:33 AM   #6
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Hi Andman-- I don't know the area but like Kath said google may come in handy. I'm too wrapped up in the anticipation of seeing Damien live I don't know if I'll even be able to eat or do anything afterwards other than relish and reflect on the whole experience.

Did call the Barrymore though and it's a small venue (under 1000 seats), general/festival seating and not at alllike a nightclub atmoshpere but they do sell beer in the lobby. Sounds like a cool old movie house or stage theater that they refurbished for live music. The Reverend Horton Heat, Natty Nation, Arlo Guthrie, etc.are playing there later in the month.

Hittin' the road tomorrow morning for the trek east. It feels like a pilgrimage or something..... okay, I admit it! I'm a Damien addict! [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]He's probably playing his heart out right now in Minneapolis. Bless his heart!!! [img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img]

You guys have a great time at the show, too!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #7
kavu478
Eskimo Regular

What can I say...it was an excellent show! It was my first time at this venue and I loved it. Hadn't seen Damien since the Park West show in Chicago...well, he and the kids didn't let me down. There was even a little love for Buckley. Looking forward to see'n the gang in KS.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:25 PM   #8
Andman32
Eskimo Baby

Wow, what a show.. even better than I expected, so many songs and moments just gave me the chills. Then I got to meet Damien & Lisa after the show. I got a picture taken with each of them and they signed my copy of O, they were extremely nice[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Andman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
lilroache
Eskimo Baby

How did you meet them? Do you just hang around the theatre until after the show?
lilroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:21 PM   #10
Elf Wizard
Eskimo Friend

hey, kavu478, did you take a picture for a girl and her kid? she said it was the kid's first concert
Elf Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:27 PM   #11
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu478
What can I say...it was an excellent show! It was my first time at this venue and I loved it. Hadn't seen Damien since the Park West show in Chicago...well, he and the kids didn't let me down. There was even a little love for Buckley. Looking forward to see'n the gang in KS.

Hey! Were you that guy that took our picture (me and my son's) after the show? He said he remembered you said you saw Damien in Chicago when you were talking to us. If that was you-- thanks! You're a sweetheart and the pic turned out great.

It was an amazing show!!! Will try to post more info on the giglater. Still in a daze from it all..... [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Finally got to see Damien live! Amazing! And it was my little guy's first concert-- he's totally in love with Lisa now. We were right up front and she smiled at him! Awww..... [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 03:32 AM   #12
kavu478
Eskimo Regular

Hey! Were you that guy that took our picture (me and my son's) after the show? He said he remembered you said you saw Damien in Chicago when you were talking to us. If that was you-- thanks! You're a sweetheart and the pic turned out great.

sorry...wasn't me. I'll getch next time! Hope your little tyke had fun!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:35 AM   #13
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Okay, I suck. I should have written down the setlist or at least remembered to flip over the tape on my micro-recorder, but as I said, I was too enthralled and into the moment to really bother with details. I was sort of in a daze, actually, and had to consciously stop myself from holding my hand over my mouth and staring in amazement that Damien was actually there in front of me..... [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]But anyway, here's an incomplete setlist with as many details as I could remember....
Damien Rice Setlist- 4/7/04<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Is That It, My Friend? (not sure on the title-- new song? had kind of an Italian/old Europe kind of feel about it)

Insane/Tongue

“So there’s a couple of songs in e-minor.” *changes chords* “This is e-major.” *laughs* “Music has so many…. colors.”

The Blower’s Daughter

*at the end he let the line “till I find somebody new” repeat through his mixer <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">forever, [/i]halfway through came back to the mic and said “This is a song about obsession” then later on started putting a harmony on it that was kind of scary, actually. People seemed confused as to how to respond (laughing nervously, looking around at each other) and even some of the other band members were kind of getting pained looks on their faces. I loved it!!! He’s completely mad—and a genius!

Woman Like A Man
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[/i]
Older Chests

*told the story of what sounded like what was depicted in the e-card cartoon of the pissed off boy going to his friends house and seeing the shooting stars.

Amie *he ended this in long drawn out fluctuating distortion that had the effect of actually changing one’s heartbeat (I talked with others, it wasn’t just me), taking everyone into outer space and back again and then let the distortion fade out into the acoustic guitar riff he was playing underneath it all the time.

Volcano

* I Remember
* Childish

Red Car? (Lisa and guy from The Frames)

Fear?-- new song? Damien was kind of trancing out and singing something like “blue… colors… around….” before he started this song. Then he engaged in audience participation and said “So eh, could somebody give me a color, please?” I yelled out “Blue!” and he immediately said “Yellow! Thank you!” (kind of a smart ass, isn’t he?) Then he said “An emotion?” The rest of the audience joined in then and started yelling out different things and he said “Fear”. “A part of the body. Elbow, thank you! Penis. Elbow penis.” *everyone laughed*. “Yellow-fear-elbow-penis” *This song absolutely blew me away!!! It’s still echoing in my head. I tried to transcribe it but my recording wasn’t that great and there was a lot of distortion, but here is what I could pick up---

SisterMidnight says:
<DIR>

question- i'm posting a setlist from the concert for the eskimo friends who want DETAILS! Should i post the lyrics to that new song (as transcribed by me) or just leave it? don't want to piss damien off now!</DIR>

tory says:
<DIR>

DO NOT BETRAY HIM IN THE NAME OF GLORY!</DIR>

Sorry guys, on the advice of a good friend I've decided not to post the lyrics. Won't be sharing my bootleg either-- my little personal memento of one of the most special evenings of my life. Plus, Damien has said he doesn't want new songs to be shared until he releases them and I respect that.

Fear? (new song?)
Eskimo

Old 04-11-2004, 02:13 PM   #14
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Red Car? (Lisa and guy from The Frames)
The Frames song is called 'Red Cord' and the "guy from The Frames" is Glen Hansard. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:16 PM   #15
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

They did 'Red Cord' in the encore out our show , it was so beautiful.. Lisa and Damien sang back up [img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #16
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Yes, I heard about that. And even better, Glen sequed into 'Last Goodbye' with Damien and Lisa harmonizing, right? What's I'd give to hear that!

Old 04-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #17
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Yep, it was almost to much to take [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img] So beautiful...I hope you are treated to the same pleasure [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 04-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #18
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Only six more days! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2004, 03:36 PM   #19
reedts
Eskimo Baby

You left out a few minor notes:

First, I Remember was played as the last song in the main set, and Damien set up a complex loop with his guitar and vocals and there was quite a long jam. Then they left and came back for the encore and Damien started the loop from I Remember again and they played that for another 3 or 4 minutes.

Also, Cannonball was played after Childish.

Then, after Red Cord was played, Vyvienne started playing Hey Jude on her cello, and Glenn and the audience started singing it, and then he segued into Last Goodbye by Jeff Buckley, and it got very quiet except for a few people singing along. Finally, Glenn started playing "The Blower's Daughter" and singing it and the audience joined in. It was very nice.

Eskimo was a very good end to the show, in complete darkness (except for the candles), like usual.

So the complete setlist is (i'm not completely sure about the order, i think this is right from what I remember and what Sister Midnight wrote)
Is That It, My Friend (not sure on the title, might be new)

Insane--&gt;

Tongue

The Blower’s Daughter

<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

Woman Like A Man

Older Chests<O:P></O:P>

<O:P></O:P>Amie ("bass heartbeat" outro, very loud and instense)

Volcano (long jam)

I Remember (long jam)
<O:P>----------------------------------</O:P>
<O:P>(encore)</O:P>
I Remember (continued intrumental jam, very intense)

Childish

Cannonball

<O:P>Red Cord&amp;--&gt;
</O:P>
<O:P>Hey Jude&amp;#--&gt;
<O:P>Last Goodbye&amp;$--&gt;
<O:P>The Blower's Daughter&amp; (partial)

Fear

Eskimo

&amp;=Glenn of the Frames on lead vocals
$=Jeff Buckley song
#=Beatles songEdited by: reedts
reedts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 04:04 PM   #20
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Thanks Reed! I was hoping someone else could help me fill in the blanks. It was kind of cool when the crowd starting singing "The Blower's Daughter". Kind of showing our appreciation for Damien and our love for his music. One young guy behind me was singing loud, clear and beautifully and kept on going when others sort of stumbled over the words. He was a sweetie-- he had let me and my son move up ahead of him to be closer to the stage.

And Red Cord by Glen and Lisa was beautiful (sorry Angela-- not that familiar with The Frames) but they put on a good show, too. But once again-- Damien was amazing!!! Brilliant!!! Beautiful!!! I was seriously considering hitting the road and following him around the country Grateful Dead style..... but I'm too old for that kind of thing now. (work, kids, responsibilities, etc. Oh to be young and free.....)

Wondering why he shaved his hair into a mohawk after the gig, though??? There's probably some personalsymbology going on there..... hmmmm.....
Old 04-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #21
ali*
eskimo drama queen

maybe the record company have been bold again.....
Old 04-11-2004, 05:26 PM   #22
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Damien's haircuts are his morse code messages to his record label, if the past is any indicator [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2004, 05:28 PM   #23
ali*
eskimo drama queen

lol, i loved that post he made on the old message board on the official sight, it was after the remix of, was it cannonball? and he said how he'd taken out all his frustratio on his hair. i wush i'd saved that message...
Old 04-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #24
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Did he hate the remix? I remember reading threads on the old site too and people were saying how great it was and more upbeat and all. I hated it. Didn't sound like Damien at all and imho took away all of the elements that makes his music so...... well, his.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #25
marymac
Eskimo Regular

Thats the one they play on Radio 2. It made me stop listening to the station after a while. Horrible mix. There's a note on the single cover to check the album if you want the proper version. Must have been some row over it.
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:19 PM   #26
Kathleen
Eskimo Friend

Okay... here's a review from my slacker butt:

Setlist? What setlist? That's a good thing... there was enough stuff I didn't recognize that I can't provide a full setlist. Great, great show. If you have heard anything you like from either artist, GO. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Friend Susan and I arrived in Madison around 6:45 or so -- too late for a leisurely dinner at the Jamaican/Carribbean restaurant we'd found online. After getting a bit lost in the Fitchburg area, we eventually found the place. Lots of photos of good times in the joint, some Marley memorabilia, some Carribbean dry goods... a small shack of a place. Anyway, we glanced at a menu, ordered jambalaya to go, and split a local brew while we waited. The young woman who rang us up asked us where we were headed, and when we told her, she asked us about Damien's music... I have a hard time doing it well. "Singer-songwriter...? I know they're covering the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army now and then..." Liked that song, she said. She wished us well and comped us the Two-Hearted Ale, so we began to leave... our containers heavy with jambalaya, when we asked for some plastic utensils. She looked around and said, "Well, we're out." Um... what? Okay, whatever. It's all good. We thanked her anyway, telling her we'd love to come back sometime, and walked off to the venue. The torn-off corner of the styrofoam container worked fine as a scoop. Good food, too... and the walk was great. Weather was beautiful... about 70 down in my area, and I think Madison had about the same.

We arrived at the venue about 10 minutes to showtime -- unusual for me. I never cut it that close. Snorked up a few more bites of grub, picked up anotherlocal brew (New Glarus Spotted Cow), and found a piece of floor for the night in the front. The Frames took the stage to lots of cheers and applause, which was attention-grabbing from the jumpstreet. I was shocked to realize the entire, sold-out crowd was hushed for the first, hushed song... for the opening act! Glen was appreciative in return and they gave us a great set. I saw and heard lots of folks singing along, which was even cooler yet. So neat to see an opening act get that much attention. I remember tunes called God Bless Mom and Fake... other than that, I really liked the group. They had a great sense of humor, they encouraged us to sing, they looked like they enjoyed what they were doing, and their sound was terrific. (I bought their CD four days later -- $12 -- at Borders, of all places to have such a price!)

Damien came out around 9 or something... with encore, they finished around 11. The first song was something new, with lyrics along the lines of "is that it, my friend?" -- kind of a slower tune regularly broken with intense bouts of scrambly guitar. It seemed to flow into a second tune, but maybe it was the same song... I dunno. Whatever it was, it was cool. That went into Blower's Daughter, to much cheering and yelling from us (not the least of which came from my mouth). Woman Like a Man followed, just as intense, then Older Chests (got wet eyes for that one), Amie, Volcano, and I Remember. Amie was concluded by something Damien was doing to create an ear-splitting, gut-shaking booooooooom... then it lifted. Just before it lifted, I leaned over to Susan and said, "It's a spaceship taking off." Given the lyrics (I saw a spaceship/fly by my window), maybe I wasn't the only one who thought that. It reminded me that Damien likes to end songs now and then in some crazy-weird way (Amie was one of two or three like this tonight). Man... I wish I could remember more details... but I was just really happy to be at a great show with really appreciative fans and a good friend!

Encore consisted of Childish and Cannonball by Damien and his backers; the Frames then joined them and the whole kit &amp; caboodle did a song about "I'm pullin' on your red coat", [at least I thought it was "coat" [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]] prefaced by recommending that we get our loved ones out of the army. (And yes, Tomo wore the "F*** Bush" shirt.) That song melted into Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye before we knew it, much to the surprise of some knowing fans. Those of us who knew the song sung lustily and with heads thrown back (at least I did). "JB, God bless ya," said Glen, and we sang back our agreement. Just an awesome moment. That turned into a Blower's Daughter reprise, which Glen motioned for us to sing, not the band. We did with much joy. They ended the evening with Eskimo Friends, during which Lisa shone on the opera-sounding part. She wasn't at the Chicago show in September, and boy, was it good to hear the songs as they're presented on the album. She's a wonderful voice and we could've easily listened to her all night. (And is it just me, or does she move a little bit like Janis Joplin?) She's a scruffy, young beauty, and she seemed to be enjoying herself most of the time. She and Vyvienne frequently joked around and looked as though they were glad to have one another on stage. (Lisa also did some ribbon-waving/twirling stuff sorta offstage during one of the last songs... anyone else see this at your show?) Wish I could remember more details, but I definitely remember that I had a great time.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:01 AM   #27
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] Thank you Kathleen [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #28
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Thank you very muchKathleen! That was really great! [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2004, 02:11 AM   #29
kavu478
Eskimo Regular

thanks for the set list, gang. "Red Chord" was new for me and I loved it. honestly, the frames REALLY impressed me. Anyone going to be in Lawrence?
Old 04-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #30
Mario
Eskimo Regular

Please release your recording and transcribe the new song. It is not betraying Damien.

Over the last two nights, I brought Damien copies of over two dozen shows. I spoke to Jonathon and he told me they love them. He explicitly told me that the official policy is that if they see you taping they'll stop you, but if you get a tape, go ahead and spread it.

The dozens of shows I gave him all had info files. He told me last night that they had looked at the first batch the night before, and were blown away by the detail. Those shows included many songs that are unreleased, and they didn't say a word to me about that.

So, please, release your show and transcribe the lyrics.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote