Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #1
Sniffer
Eskimo Regular

Default Vyvienne Gig Review

Did anyone get to her gig last night and have a review?
Sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

I was at it but only have 7 minutes before I get back to work so I'll make it really quick.

When it was good it was very good and it was good for most of the night. If Stina Nordenstam and Joanna Newsome had a torrid affair and one of them was secretly a man then their bastard offspring would have been this gig.

The covers she played and sang on were Purple Haze, Vibrate, Come Together, something by N.E.R.D., her "hit" which featured Lisa on drums and Yoshimi vs the pink robots which she played keyboards for. Also covered were Somewhere over the rainbow and Bohemian Rhapsody which were both arranged for a cello quartet.

There were also 3-4 original pieces, the best of which (and also the only one whose title I can remember) was "Random Man on the Motorway", it's got a really funny lyric (never pictured Vyv writing songs about guys smoking heroin).

Band consisted of Vyv, Tomo, a harpist, 3 other Cellists a guy on keyboards and Lisa on bass drum for one song.

Pete Courtney opened and played a good set (it helped that he opened and closed his det with my 2 favourite songs of his, left a good taste in the mouth).

Main downside was a really drunk guy (who may have been the singer from interference) who was singing from the back of the room and was just really annoying, really terrible "harmonies".

She drew a pretty good crowd, not a free seat in the place and people standing at the back.

Random thoughts:
- She was far more comfortable then I expected her to be. Her voice was in really good form

- I have decidedd that the Cello is a feminine instrument, by extension the Double Bass is masculine, the violin is unisex and no one plays the viola anyway.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, I went along. I was just there to enjoy myself tho, so i don't have a setlist or any prepared review.

I'll describe what the place looked like first. Mother Redcap's venue is an upstairs room, maybe twice the size of whelan's dance floor. The room has an open ceiling so you can see the rafters in the roof. Most of the place is finished in wood and there's an old musty wooden smell (not bad, just like a room in an old house that's hardly ever used). The venue was laid out mostly with tables with one or two chairs and then some longer benches along the walls of the room.

I got there early to get good seats and was really lucky to get a table right in front of the stage. The stage is in one corner of the room and is raised about 50cm off the floor. I there was a back-drop of interesting charcoal drawings, scribblings and collage work on a massive piece of off-white paper which followed loosely around the wall at the back corner of the stage. Since this was billed as a solo gig I was surprised to see the stage crowded with equipment. There was a drum-kit, keys, 4 cellos, a massive harp, an acoustic guitar and an electric guitar.

The guitars belonged to Pete Cortney who was playing support. Pete ran thro a fairly quick sound-check and then started into his set. I've never seen him before but i was quite impressed. Pete, who sweats a lot and performs (at least last night) in bare feet started off the set with a tune played (?) on a little wind-up music box. It set the mood well, for an intimate evening of alternative-alternative/classical music. I can't really remember the names of any of his songs, but he played about 7 songs, and I was impressed enough by the first 3 to make a mental note to buy his album (which i later forgot to buy!). He also did some nice fret-tapping during one song and played two others on his electric, strumming solely with a clothes-brush. This produced a kind of shuffling heavy-but-quiet strum effect. I can't say i liked it too much but it was interesting. He then got great sounds out of the guitar by flipping over the brush and tapping the wooden back of it against various parts of the guitar. Pete was eh, "assisted" on vocals by an enthusiastic member of the audience (possibly the lead singer of Interference) who was singing some harmonies during one of his songs. At the end of his set, Pete said goodnight and seemed genuinely happy to have played in front of a quiet (apart from the singing guy) and attentive audience.

Shortly afterwards Vyvienne appeared on stage. She looked stunning, wearing a close-fitting dress and drool-worthy boots. Her hair was darker and more red than when I've seen her previously and I never noticed that she was so thin. Let me be make myself clear... she was HOT. Vyv was accompanied by Tomo on drums, the harp player, keyboard player and three other cellists. Not all the musicians joined in every song, but they switched in and out during the night. She started with Purple Haze and settled in very quickly. Her voice was stronger and more confident than I've ever heard from her before. She was still the slightly-nervous but always willing Vyv that we've all seen on stage before, but she showed more of that suggested inner-strength that she sometimes tries to hide. As Ian said above, she also played, Vibrate, Come Together and a few other covers which were rockin as expected. Of her originals, she didn't give much background info on any of them. "Random Man on a Motorway" was great. Another original was "Blue Carousel" which she said was about "personal stuff". This was a great tune that mainly featured Vyv and the harpist. They got slightly out of time at one stage, but recovered well and I probably only noticed because i could see them eyeing each other, trying to sort it out. Unfortunately we heard more from the mysterious audience singer. He didn't seem to realize that he shouldn't be singing and he may not have been drunk, so it might be best not to criticize too much. I'm sure it was off-putting for Vyv, but she carried on and didn't let it show. At the end of the set Vyv left the stage to enthusiatic applause before coming back for a 3 or 4 song encore. As expected her excellent version of Seven Nation Army (with Lisa Hannigan on kick drum) was saved 'till last. Vyv finally left the stage with a big bow and received a standing ovation from the audience.

Excellent gig, can't wait for the next one. By the way, the gig was video taped by Vyv's parents and by another member of the audience. Damien and Shane were there too and I also spotted Terry Sutton. Robbie Fry was taking pictures as usual.

Last edited by Banjaxed; 04-01-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Banjaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Sinead
Eskimo Regular

The Gig was so gooD!! She was really great! The singing guy was the lead singer of interference.We were standing right beside him and he was so drunk.My friend asked him to be quiet and his response was "it's alright we're good mates".....! What... so you're ruining her debut solo gig!??? He got louder so we moved !!
And for the bad news.....I was talking to Damien and obviously had to ask him about the new album ! Guess what he said......."IT'S NOT EVEN RECORDED YET !!!!"
AHHH! How long does he expect us to wait!!!! So no sign of the album any time soon !! What did anyone else who went think of it?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

not surprised by the fact that the album isn't recorded...lazy fecker

pete never wears shoes when he's performing and his album is no longer available
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #6
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed
started off the set with a tune played (?) on a little wind-up music box.
It was the Beatles "Hey Jude".

Regarding Dave's post, I bought the album from Road Records about 6 months ago so they might still have copies.

Last edited by #Ian#; 04-01-2005 at 04:27 PM.
#Ian# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
It was the Beatles "Hey Jude".

Regarding Dave's post, I bought the album from Road Records about 6 months ago so they might still have copies.
the question mark was actually because i wasn't sure whether "played" was the right term for winding a music box in front of a mic!

i didn't actually realise the tune was "Hey Jude" tho so thanks anyway.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
...no one plays the viola anyway.
Joan Wasser in Antony & The Johnson's orchestra

Thanks for the review!
Old 04-01-2005, 05:10 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead
I was talking to Damien and obviously had to ask him about the new album ! Guess what he said......."IT'S NOT EVEN RECORDED YET !!!!"
I see a Cannonball remix box set coming our way this year for Christmas.

Anyway, Viv's gig sounds great. I wish I could have been there.

P.S. I didn't know the Interference singer was such a rude selfish bastard.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #10
DaveG
Eskimo Regular

angela he's not..........may have been a wee bit drunk or maybe he was asked to sing along...i don't know....but anyway he's not in my opinion

as for pete's album, the last time i saw him play he said he didn't have any left......not on road recs site either
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #11
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

aww sounds great..wish i'd been there!
4 drinks down and i just don't care,
5 in the morning,
6 stories up looking down,
7 still fighting,
8 times around but this time i wont drown!

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Donsie B! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
as for pete's album, the last time i saw him play he said he didn't have any left......not on road recs site either
he said last night that they were selling them on the door... he must've got more made i guess.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #13
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
angela he's not..........may have been a wee bit drunk or maybe he was asked to sing along...i don't know....but anyway he's not in my opinion
Oh, good to know. I sure like his music.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #14
cello_pudding
Eskimo Regular

"I have decidedd that the Cello is a feminine instrument"

yoyo ma and i are disgruntled by your comment

*shakes fist*
cello_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:34 PM   #15
Bumpman

I was also at the gig, i'm a bit too tired to write a huge review, because the lads pretty much nailed it, but also i spent 2 days in dublin just for the gig, during which i had 1 sandwich and 4 hours sleep... it was VERY worth it though

I really liked the original stuff, especially 'random man on the motorway' and 'blue carousel'. Also i liked the way that she did full versions of all the covers that were played. I REALLY didn't expect a seven piece band, but it worked very well. I was sitting beside the lady who was playing the harp (she was the only person not on-stage), my friend and i carried her harp down to her car when the gig was over too, which she was pretty grateful for, it was heavy enough to be one side a 10 million euro coin. She said it cost 35 grand too.

I think the crowd was probably half filled with fans, and half filled with vyvienne's friends and family. It was a really supportive crowd actually (except for the guy from interference... the bastard), but yeah... i'll openly call any irish member of this forum an idiot for not shelling out the tenner to go to the show, my 16 year old brother was there and didn't get asked for id, or even run into a doorman... which was nice.

Also i was glad to see that Damien sat down and didn't play, it was definitely better that way.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #16
kel :)
arty eskimo

hate to sound like a complete amature, but whos vyvienne?? curious is all...
kel :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 AM   #17
Bumpman

Damien Rice - Guitar/Vocals
Lisa Hannigan - Guitar/Vocals
Vyvienne Long - Cello/Piano/Vocals
Shane Fitzsimons - Bass
Tomo - Drums/Vocals
Old 04-02-2005, 01:08 AM   #18
kel :)
arty eskimo

ah....explains a lot...merci beaucoup!!
kel :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #19
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I was sitting beside the lady who was playing the harp (she was the only person not on-stage).
Damn, thought that might have been you.

Thanks for minding my seat when I went to the bar.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:07 PM   #20
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

i was sitting at the table in front of the stage nearest the harp. there were three guys on my right, one of them was talking to the harpist for a while. was that any of you guys?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #21
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjaxed
i was sitting at the table in front of the stage nearest the harp. there were three guys on my right, one of them was talking to the harpist for a while. was that any of you guys?
I would have been 2 tables over from you, second row sitting on my own.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:32 PM   #22
Bumpman

Quote:

Yeah, i thought that was you too, but i didn't want to say anything incase i seemed like a psycho stalker... no problem on the ol' minding the seat thing, some guy tried to steal it... bastard.
Old 04-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #23
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

See, it would have been easier for you becaue you could havejust said "are you Ian?" and gotten a simple yes/no. If you weren't Bumpman you would have looked at me funny had I asked it.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #24
SimonWales
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
The covers she played and sang on were Purple Haze, Vibrate, Come Together, something by N.E.R.D., her "hit" which featured Lisa on drums and Yoshimi vs the pink robots which she played keyboards for. Also covered were Somewhere over the rainbow and Bohemian Rhapsody which were both arranged for a cello quartet.
The NERD song was She Want To Move, altered for her preferred gender (Sister, look at your boy, he loves it....)

It was Somewhere Out There - Linda Ronsdadt & James Ingram (from American Tail soundtrack - cartoon movie about Fievel the Mouse...) that was covered, as opposed to Somewhere Over The Rainbow...

Who was the girl videotaping the show? Any one know? You here? would you please PM me if you are...Thanks!
SimonWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #25
Sinead
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
He most likely isn't a bad person but in fairness he was being very disruptive. His friends told him to stop shouting/singing and took his drink off him and yet he persisted !! Awh well Vyv pulled through! Didn't seem to upset her too much !!

Really was an excellent gig and i agree,whoever "wasn't arsed" going to this ....BIG MISTAKE!!!!(",)
Old 04-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #26
Bumpman

Quote:
See, it would have been easier for you becaue you could havejust said "are you Ian?" and gotten a simple yes/no. If you weren't Bumpman you would have looked at me funny had I asked it.
Aye, i see your point , i remember that happened last february, it was hilarious. (for the record my name is sean).
Old 04-03-2005, 02:13 PM   #27
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonWales
It was Somewhere Out There - Linda Ronsdadt & James Ingram (from American Tail soundtrack - cartoon movie about Fievel the Mouse...) that was covered, as opposed to Somewhere Over The Rainbow...
Indeed it was, little bit of a brain fart there.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #28
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

oh i love that song.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:01 AM   #29
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinead
And for the bad news.....I was talking to Damien and obviously had to ask him about the new album ! Guess what he said......."IT'S NOT EVEN RECORDED YET !!!!"
AHHH! How long does he expect us to wait!!!! So no sign of the album any time soon !!
I'm totally confused as to why he would say this. Each time I've seen him, he's said that they were recording. He's been saying the same thing for more than a year, probably longer. My theories are (1) he's just a friggin perfectionist and isn't satisfied with any of the months and months and months worth of recordings, and wants to start from scratch (2) he's trying to throw you/me/us off (3) it was an april fool's joke (4) he's a liar through and through

Personally, I am getting really tired of waiting for a new album.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #30
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Maybe 'it's not recorded yet' means 'it's not FULLY recorded yet'... as in he has a bit of finishing to do on it, rather than he hasn't started... then it's consistent with everything else he has said... which would make sense... so maybe that's wrong

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote