Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Default Xmas Busk 2011

glen is organizing the busking again this year. here´s what he tweeted:

Quote:
@Glen_Hansard Glen Hansard
Busking with some friends tomorrow on Grafton St.. Come and throw a coin in the box for Simon Community and the Peter McVerry trust cont..

It's not our place to judge why people are homeless.. It's our place to help shelter the cold and hungry.. The rest is up to them..
(well said, glen!)

Quote:
we'll start sometime after 3.. thanks for the support!
i went to help simon community yesterdat with a bucket saking at the live animal crib (the fund-raising also goes to st vince de paul) for three hours and i think i raised, at least, 150 euros (or even more). it was very nice from them to let me help, i had a great time.

Last edited by verenita; 12-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Spotted them in town

didnt hang around long, i hate crowds at christmas.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

the thought of you busking with them crossed my mind, he. my friend took a few pics and film a bit, so i will post them when she gives them.

i will be back with more info... i have to join the guests now. it was an amazing busking!

Last edited by verenita; 12-26-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

A bunch of great vids already up. Looks like Damien has that beard under control now.
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i did love the fact they chose their spot outside a for sale/let shop on dublins busiest shopping street. the times are changing.

ill give bono the credit.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Default on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK-oV8g3Y1A
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
verenita
... trusty and true ...

the busking started with a bunch of great guys and their guitar and a lady with her violin (she is amazing), matthew deveraux was there too. they played many great songs to make us (the audience) getting in the busking spirit, i guess. then glen, liam o maonlai, damien and vyv () showed up. glen stated singing and the he called damien (who looked a bit distracted at that moment, he). so, he got up the stage (yes, they prepared the busking area this year, included liam´s piano) with vyv and they played the blower´s daugther + creep and cannonball (everybody cheered him up and sang along!). damien was unusually shy at the beginning in my opinion, but then he was totally into the performance and he did it amazingly. i was in the front row at that time i couldn´t even believe it, especially because a sort of snow (it wasn´t snow really, but it wasn´t only rain either) started falling, which made all the thing magical.

after that, the garda moved us cause the bin truck needed to do its job. so, i ended up quite far from the guys and i couldn´t see if damien was still there (i think he was, but i´m not sure). so, damien dempsey came and sang two beautiful songs and then, again, the garda... boo! ergo: we needed to move one more time. glen and liam started the "procession" to the stephen green´s gate. i got to the front row again. and from that moment on was brilliant. bono showed up and started a few tunes. i love the english (bono)-irish (liam) version of "silent night". glen was amazing, leading the whole thing, but letting everybody do their thing.

notes aside:
- i never thought of vyv as a beauty, but OMG! she is gorgeous. it was so nice to see her there (they almost used my umbrella to protect the cello, but they got a bigger one).

- when we were waiting to move the fist time, i was right beside liam´s piano and i was drinking mate. so, he looked at it and said "mate, uh, can i try?", of course, man. and he gave it a sip. i said he should drink it all until he hears a noise and suddendly i was talking to this guy about mate. damien was right at the opposite side oif the piano but i couldn´t even look at him, i´m so stupid.

- as you said, QueenOfTheSouth, it looks like damien has his beard under control, but especially his hair, he. my friend, who knows nothing about damien (apart from his name, and it is because i mention him a lot!, he), told me "i think he was a cast away... but what a voice, he is amazing"

- she has a few pics and a video or two (i´m not sure if they are complete), but i have to wait for her to pass them to me. i will post them after that.

sorry it was too long, guys. merry christmas to all. many blessings and much love

Last edited by verenita; 12-26-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
[/color]
Thanks Verenita....nice....Vyviene was there...interesting
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Fjordline
Eskimo Friend

Thank you for your impressions, verenita. It Sounds so Levels and I wish I can be there one day.
Fjordline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
verenita
... trusty and true ...

another not: damien didn´t stay long and people went crazy when bono arrived. i heard "listen, it´s bono..." all around me, he.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Default pics

i´m posting a few pics. more here:

the videos are not too good as far as i saw. i have to wait for my friend to upload them and we´ll see.

Last edited by verenita; 12-26-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Default vids

ok, my friend sent me the videos and here they are (just the first song and in two parts, sorry). it just to give you an idea of where i was. those uploaded yesterday are way better.

Last edited by verenita; 12-26-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

That one w/ Liam is a keeper. I still can't seem to locate Vyv with all of the vids and pics posted so far..
Old 12-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #14
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ my fault. i posted the same vide twice, pft! there´s a part 2 of the blower´s daughter where you can see that vyv was there. the thing is that from my friend´s perspective, she couldn´t see her very well because of one of the security (or crew) guys. i will try to find that video and i will post it, sorry.

what did you say about liam and a keeper? did you mean the pic or a video? i didn´t understand, he.

EDIT: fixed it. you can see vyv at 1.20... for one second (it´s better than othing, isn´t it? )

Last edited by verenita; 12-26-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
Joyful
Eskimama

So glad to hear about your experience Verenita! I am so glad that you were there and got to tell us about it. Very cool

Having said that, Damien, imho, still looks homeless. He needs some grooming and a bath.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #16
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
-

what did you say about liam and a keeper? did you mean the pic or a video? i didn´t understand, he.

EDIT: fixed it. you can see vyv at 1.20... for one second (it´s better than othing, isn´t it? )
I meant the photo of him sipping your mate. I remember my Spanish professor introducing us to this South American drink last year. She actually mixed the leaves?, brewed it in class, and passed it around for the class to try. Most of us were hesitant to share the straw and couldn't understood how something like this could be shared. Pretty cool that you got to share yours with Liam. You actually carry it around? even in the rain?

Thanks, I can see Vyv now.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #17
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Vere! what a great experience. thanks for sharing it with us
Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheSouth View Post
I meant the photo of him sipping your mate. I remember my Spanish professor introducing us to this South American drink last year. She actually mixed the leaves?, brewed it in class, and passed it around for the class to try. Most of us were hesitant to share the straw and couldn't understood how something like this could be shared. Pretty cool that you got to share yours with Liam. You actually carry it around? even in the rain?

Thanks, I can see Vyv now.
you´re welcome!
yes, she explained it right (where is she from, btw?) and i understand why most of you were hesitant to share the straw but it´s utterly common in our culture, even when new people join the mate round.
and, it depends, but yes i carry it around (some ladies in the loo asked me the same, lol) most of the time. i even drank it at some random restaurants that i went to eat.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_arg View Post
Vere! what a great experience. thanks for sharing it with us

thanks... i still can barely believe it, because i was just in front of the stage when damien sang, but it wasn´t like that after we were moved. it was a great blessing and my xmas present for sure
Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #20
verenita
... trusty and true ...

a good mix for you to see the spirit of the busking

the girl you can see at 00:39 on the bottom-right corner is my friend and i´m in the black shaking hood, he.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
Samart
Nothing unusual...

Oh... Damien wasn't shaved or hair cut at all. Winter hibernation prolongations to come.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #22
MANGO
Eskimo Regular

omg... they busked again! ohhhhh so sweet guys!!!!
I am sure ppl there were so happy !! Lucky Irish people!!

Thanks for sharing with us !
Fabby vids and pics!!

I really wonder whether shave or not before come to korea hahaha
MANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #23
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

I can't wait for the next christmas! I love it when they sing together
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #24
Shahar
Cheers Darling.

Quote:

the girl you can see at 00:39 on the bottom-right corner is my friend and i´m in the black shaking hood, he.
Have you been there????
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i was there indeed and, for me, was another dream come true...

i found many sites (even media sites) spreading the news but they all put bono under the spot light, so unfair!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #26
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Gah...thank you so much for posting the videos, I'm so jealous that you were there! The BF and I keep saying we want to try to go one year...I bet when we finally do they won't be busking anymore!
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #27
verenita
... trusty and true ...

you know, i said the same thing since i first knew about the busking, back in 2009... and here i am
and i thought the same: "now that i am here, they won´t play". also, i was afraid of damien not taking part of it this year... and i was standing one piano away from him and i enjoyed the best musical atmosphere ever!

so, as long as you don´t plan to do this in 5/10 years time (and even though, you never know), i say you might be the next one of sharing pics, vids and emotions with us

Last edited by verenita; 12-28-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #28
cille
creepycute

This seems awesome but most of all I'm happy that you got to experience this, Vere!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #29
Fjordline
Eskimo Friend

Quote:

so, as long as you plan to do this in 5/10 years time (and even though, you never know), i say you might be the next one of sharing pics, vids and emotions with us
Do you live in Dublin or did you travel to Ireland for the busking? I so want to be there one day and hope your prediction is right :-).
Fjordline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
This seems awesome but most of all I'm happy that you got to experience this, Vere!
thanks, i know you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordline View Post
Do you live in Dublin or did you travel to Ireland for the busking? I so want to be there one day and hope your prediction is right :-).
well, i´m living in dublin since october for, at least, a year (if i don´t change my mind though), but when i decided that i would definitely come to ireland in 2011 (you have no idea how hard i worked to make it possible), i also decided that i would be here on xmas... so, i guess they both are the cases, he.