Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #211
viv
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
And I don't buy the clarinet teacher's daughter story at all, that's bull**** IMHO.

and I'm 99.9% convinced that she's Lisa.

Well, if I Remember is about the blower's daughter (when did he say that?) then at least one of his stories IS bullsh**. The one before BD is about the clarinet teacher's daughter poking her head in one day and him becoming facinated with her (or some variation of that) And isn't the super market story the one he uses to introduce I Remember? If both songs are about the same person both stories can't be true.

BUT, if the clarinet teacher's daughter bit is not true, then what does he mean by "the Blower's Daughter" And do we know exactly when he and Lisa met? That along with when he wrote the songs could help solve at least that part of the mystery.

Last edited by viv; 10-01-2007 at 07:19 PM.
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #212
viv
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
Ah now see, I think in the Professor he's talking about an elephant as a metaphor for a man (himself) who appears strong but in fact isn't.

My basis for this is something he said before a performance of 'elephant' once, I forget which one. But he says he's fascinated by the idea of the elephant being the biggest and strongest creature known to man, and yet it is scared by a mouse.

So I think when he says 'what shakes the elephant' he means, how far can I be pushed before I get scared and run.
I had never heard that one before. I like it!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #213
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
Well, if I Remember is about the blower's daughter (when did he say that?) then at least one of his stories IS bullsh**. The one before BD is about the clarinet teacher's daughter poking her head in one day and him becoming facinated with her (or some variation of that) And isn't the super market story the one he uses to introduce I Remember? If both songs are about the same person both stories can't be true.

BUT, if the clarinet teacher's daughter bit is not true, then what does he mean by "the Blower's Daughter" And do we know exactly when he and Lisa met? That along with when he wrote the songs could help solve at least that part of the mystery.
what's the supermarket story?

He says it's about the blower's daughter in the recording of the gig at the Mountain Winery. He's a bit drunk and it sounds like it's one of those '**** it, might as well just tell the truth' moments that happen sometimes when you're intoxicated.... :P

You know, I don't think it could be Lisa. It would be sorta nice if it was, but I just think that having a professional relationship and emotional/romantic one at the same time, just couldn't work for such a long time. I don't see how Lisa could have been comfortable singing words so strong as the ones damien uses in these songs knowing they were about her.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #214
viv
Eskimo Regular

^ The supermarket story is the one where he goes to the store and falls for a girl that works there, then keeps going back all the time, finally end up starting something with her and she ends up being not what he thought. That's where the can of beans that end up being peas bit comes in.

I don't necessarily think so many of his songs are about Lisa. Maybe they are, maybe they're not. Who knows? But I don't think it's that far fetched. I mean, I think it's entirely possible that they had some sort of "thing" going on, who knows for how long, and were able to do their professional thing too. But yeah, it would be weird to have to sing about it, if you knew it was about you. It'd make you a bit uneasy he said "hey i've got a new song I'd like to work out"

Last edited by viv; 10-01-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 PM   #215
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
^ The supermarket story is the one where he goes to the store and falls for a girl that works there, then keeps going back all the time, finally end up starting something with her and she ends up being not what he thought. That's where the can of beans that end up being peas bit comes in.

I don't necessarily think so many of his songs are about Lisa. Maybe they are, maybe they're not. Who knows? But I don't think it's that far fetched. I mean, I think it's entirely possible that they had some sort of "thing" going on, who knows for how long, and were able to do their professional thing too. But yeah, it would be weird to have to sing about it, if you knew it was about you. It'd make you a bit uneasy he said "hey i've got a new song I'd like to work out"
yeah, especially if he then said 'it goes like this: "**** you, **** you, **** you..."

haha
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #216
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

To be honest, I don't trust his stories anymore. The supermarket story was the one that made me realise that. For years he had been saying that it was about this girl he knew when he was a teenager, and then suddenly this yesterday he started telling the supermarket girl story, which was nice, but also pure fake. Made me not trust his stories anymore...

I think D & L were an item for a while, broke up, he wrote all these songs, and she stayed in the band for the sake of the music, but it was crystal clear that it was not gonna last forever. In fact I was fearing that Lisa was gonna leave since day one. When hearing 9 and how little of Lisa is in the album, I thought it was a matter of days... and eventually it happened. Or do you still think Lisa leaving was a 100% professional decission. Just listen to the Don't come here anymore improv from Lyon and how D is going at her, IMHO he's clearly telling her to leave, and she did one week later.

Of course it's all pure speculation, but if you listen to the songs thinking they're about Lisa, it always makes sense to me...

by the way, the Blower's Daughter is a book, a super classic romantic novel or something
Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #217
viv
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Just listen to the Don't come here anymore improv from Lyon and how D is going at her, IMHO he's clearly telling her to leave, and she did one week later.
Where is that? I can never find anything around here
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #218
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

It's in my 4shared folder, check the Eskimo+Don't come here anymore improv
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #219
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Ohhh I think someone impersonated me for my last post... someone must have cracked my password and posted as me probably Nine he he
Do you know what, that's exactly what I thought when I read that....haha, "that sounds like something Hollie would say"!
Quote:
ah god yes. So many of his songs are about sex.
Difference is though, Me, My Yoke, and I, for example - is about f*cking.
Accidental Babies is about making love.

God I love that song.
!

hmmm...haha, ok that's the most substance this post will have. I really don't have much else to add....but it seems that you all have some really good ideas! I've only listened to Animals a handful of times (eek...booooring! ) so I have nooo idea what it's about. But just a quick thought....perhaps "animals" does actually refer to animals, because What This Night Is For also makes a reference to animals...

As for Elephant....well for *some* strange reason, I have my own naughty (though not correct) interpretation....but I love the idea of a person's strong exterior !

And about Lisa being the inspiration....I'm not sure that I know enough about their history/timeline of songs to be able to guess. But I would think a few of the songs are about her, maybe the more recent ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
Where is that? I can never find anything around here
oh viv, it's sooooo good!! If you also want to look at the thread "Eskimo extension", some people were talking about it there
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #220
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Come on Lindsi, tell us!!! We want your xtube-interpretation of Elephant

Ohhh and I didn't realise there were also Animals in What This Night is For... Gonna check You know what I was thinkin the other day? That most of his song titles are never part of the chorus, it's mostly a word in the verses, sometimes mentioned even once... so maybe it ends up being called Army of Stars or something...

And you really think Animals were Gone is boring?????
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #221
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

haha! well unfortunately I find it harder to be as outspoken as the rest of you ....so I'll just say that I interpreted the whole song around the one line you mentioned, the "lately horny" line

oh goodness...don't even remind me of this!! I heard the Blower's Daughter yeeeeears ago, and I remember trying to find it but I didn't know the title, so I started looking for "I can't take my eyes of you". Sooooo frustrating haha...I think it's a folk music thing to do this, isn't it

DEAD BORING . haha I'm not even exagerating that I've only listened to it a handful of times ....and actually I almost gave up on Damien because of it!!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #222
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Quote:
To be honest, I don't trust his stories anymore. The supermarket story was the one that made me realise that. For years he had been saying that it was about this girl he knew when he was a teenager, and then suddenly this yesterday he started telling the supermarket girl story, which was nice, but also pure fake. Made me not trust his stories anymore...

I think D & L were an item for a while, broke up, he wrote all these songs, and she stayed in the band for the sake of the music, but it was crystal clear that it was not gonna last forever. In fact I was fearing that Lisa was gonna leave since day one. When hearing 9 and how little of Lisa is in the album, I thought it was a matter of days... and eventually it happened. Or do you still think Lisa leaving was a 100% professional decission. Just listen to the Don't come here anymore improv from Lyon and how D is going at her, IMHO he's clearly telling her to leave, and she did one week later.

Of course it's all pure speculation, but if you listen to the songs thinking they're about Lisa, it always makes sense to me...

by the way, the Blower's Daughter is a book, a super classic romantic novel or something
how did the way he tell the story change? i don't think i've noticed what u might have... maybe he's hooked up with this supermarket girl... lol

i don't know.. i want to believe that they were an item at one point and i'd like them to be, heh, but i have trouble seen these songs been about lisa and their "break-up"? I dunno.. i like to leaves all those things wideee open and just imagine that are true or are not.. what ever i feel more comfortable with.. makes me feel better.. lol
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #223
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
DEAD BORING . haha I'm not even exagerating that I've only listened to it a handful of times ....and actually I almost gave up on Damien because of it!!
hmmm..... what are we going to do with you?

"Oh I know that I left you in places of despair
Oh I know that I love you, so please throw down your hair
At night I trip without you, and hope I don't wake up
'Cause waking up without you is like drinking from an empty cup"

"I know I've been a liar and I know I've been a fool
I hope we didn't break it, but I'm glad we broke the rules
My cave is deep now, yet your light is shining through
I cover my eyes, still all I see is you"

you don't find this song relaxing and/or soothing at all? I love this song! I love every damo song.. lol. It's a loooovely song. u need to listen to it harder...

Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #224
viv
Eskimo Regular

So, I assumed that "animals" refered to men, in general. In The Animals Were gone, he talks about the house being empty, like his friends had all left and he was bored/depressed and left to wallow in his misery alone or somethin. Then in What this Night is For, he says "she has a way with animals" so, she has a way with men. and along with "even goddesses watch when she moves" it's like everyone is enchanted by her. I dunno. It's fun to speculate though.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #225
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Ohh Lindsay... I love The Animals Were Gone... for a while I considered a [10] out of 10 song, now it's down a bit, but i'd give it a 9 out of 10...

This reminds me that a while ago, we had this thead about how many Damien songs you think are a [10]!!! Of course borneoman did start it...
Maybe we could do it again, being really strict and not counting the 9.8 and 9.9 songs, just the songs that are a 10 out of 10. How many???

Last time I did I think I wasn't that strict cos I came up with 35 or something. Let's see now:
from O: Volcano, Blowers daughter, Cannonball, Older chests, I remember, Cheers darlin, Cold water, Amie, Prague
from 9: 9 crimes, Elephant, Rootless tree, Acc babies, Grey room, Sleep don't weep
b-sides & other official: The professor, Lonelily, Crosseyed bear, Then Go,
old unreleased: Tongue, Sand, Insane, Fool, It didn't take you long
new unreleased: What this night is for, You shouldn't be here, Beauty & beast, is that it my friend

TOTAAL: 28!!!!!!! Ooops

What about you all in here????????????????
Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #226
viv
Eskimo Regular

OK, being SUPER strict (cause i honestly don't dislike any of his songs) the "10s" would be

All of O - I seriously Love that album from the first to last notes.
9 - 9 crimes, Rootless Tree (the piano version), coconut skins, MMYI (though it took seeing him perform it live to finally appreciate it fully) DEFINITELY Acciental babies!
Others - Professor, Lonelilly, Cross-eyed, insane, face, fool, sand, Rat within..., what this night is for, childish, front door, lonely soldier, and Bottom Shelf.

geez, he seriously need to release some of these so I can have them in perfect quality!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #227
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
haha! well unfortunately I find it harder to be as outspoken as the rest of you ....so I'll just say that I interpreted the whole song around the one line you mentioned, the "lately horny" line
haha yeah i think we're on the same page .... but now that Hollie enlightened me i'm thinking i have to re think my Dirty interpretations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
booooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....Marti please PM her lots of tomatoes and lots of Exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I luuuuv that song!!!!!! ... Lindsay i think you have to go listen to it untill you luv it !!!!

Oh lord i'm gonna think of the "10" songs.... there are sooooooo many!!!!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #228
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

uh-o... ok.. here we go!

O: All of it but none of the hidden tracks.
9 Crimes: 9 Crimes, Elephant, Rootless Trees, Coconut Skins, Grey room. Sleep Don't Weep.
Others: Be Real With Me (AKA Don't Come Here Anymore), Beast And Beauty, Bottom Shelf, Cross-Eyed Bear, Front Door, Insane, Is That It My Friend, It Didn't Take You Long, Lonelily, Lonely Soldier, Rule Number 2 Y-Junction, Sex Change, The Professor, The Rat Within The Grain, Toffee Pop, Unplayed Piano, What This Night Is For, Wooden Horse, You Shouldn't Be Here.

i've managed to cut it back to 35... i don't think i can do any better than that... Damien is pretty much all i listen to now-a-days because nothing else is better than damien!

Last edited by dboyd; 10-02-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #229
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
I'm almost completely with you on this one Linds - the first time I heard animals I thought... 'Ah, this verse is quite pleasent' then the vibrato strings and chorus came in and I went 'Ok...' then it carried onnnn and onnnn and onnnnn and i went 'Ok I get it...'

The chorus does drone on. It's my least favourite on the album - but I must say it has grown on me, I don't actively dislike it anymore, it just does nothing for me like his others do.

However, oddly enough when I heard it without the strings I liked it so so much more. So I think as a song I appreciate it, and I adore the lyrics. It's just the arrangement that Damien chose for it that I don't like.

As for the 10s... I have to be really really strict... but, off the top of my head:

Volcano
MMY&I
9 Crimes
Accidental Babies
Rat Within The Grain
Professor
Woman Like A Man
Childish
I Remember (that gets 11)
Insane

Just the most phenomenal songs I've ever heard...
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 AM
mariaoran
This message has been deleted by mariaoran.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:07 AM   #230
Nine
Inuit

can I just asked - I just listened to Your Ghost and had never really payed it much attention before... is it a cover or an original? I love it.

Also, never much listened to You Shouldn't Be Here before properly, and that's great too. Where was the circulated version recorded please?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #231
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
can I just asked - I just listened to Your Ghost and had never really payed it much attention before... is it a cover or an original? I love it.
It's a Kristin Hersh cover i believe!

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
Old 10-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #232
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

i don't think i can get mine lower than 35.. llol

i wish i could tell u where "you shouldn't be here" was recorded but i can't... i downloaded it off soulseek a long time ago and it had no information with it.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:33 AM   #233
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Somebody asked the same the other day about You Shouldn't Be There. It has been performed just 1 time, on the last Dec US tour, played on 19 Dec 2006, Chicago, and never again... Sounds unfinished but the melody is amazing.... another [10] IMO!!!!!!!!!!! The whole show was torrented back in the day, I was the one who made the mp3and put it online, those soulseek thieves

In fact I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv all the new unreleased songs, I think they're all amazing, You shouldn't be there, Is that it my friend, Beast & beauty, What this night is for, Slow (hope he finishes it, it's too damn short), even all the new improvs I think they're amazing (Never go down, Happy Green Joe, Don;t come here anymore) and of course What Do You Know About Love!!!! Even if it's 10 sec long!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 AM   #234
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

And great Hollie, I REMEMBER is also an [11] in my charts
Old 10-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #235
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
booooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....Marti please PM her lots of tomatoes and lots of Exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I luuuuv that song!!!!!! ... Lindsay i think you have to go listen to it untill you luv it !!!!
hehe...so sorry everyone for not liking your precious song! But no more tomatoes....haha, I've had so many thrown at me this week, how about something that doesn't stain!
Quote:
I'm almost completely with you on this one Linds - the first time I heard animals I thought... 'Ah, this verse is quite pleasent' then the vibrato strings and chorus came in and I went 'Ok...' then it carried onnnn and onnnn and onnnnn and i went 'Ok I get it...'

The chorus does drone on. It's my least favourite on the album - but I must say it has grown on me, I don't actively dislike it anymore, it just does nothing for me like his others do.

However, oddly enough when I heard it without the strings I liked it so so much more. So I think as a song I appreciate it, and I adore the lyrics. It's just the arrangement that Damien chose for it that I don't like.
Ya, the main thing that I don't appreciate about the song are the strings. Haha, I have nooo idea what vibrato means.... but for some reason it just doesn't hit my ears right. And actually, hehe, it reminds of songs my Scottish grandfather used to play....very, very almost, traditional sounding.

And I guess I could say a few more things that I don't appreciate, but I'll save everyone from that But to be honest, it's one of my least favorite songs.

ok, I think I can come up with a list now and I'll try to be super strict
O-Volcano, The Blower's Daughter, Cannonball, Cold Water, I Remember, Eskimo, Prague
9-9 Crimes, Rootless Tree, Coconut Skins, MMY&I, Accidental Babies
Others- Cross-Eyed Bear, Insane, Lonely Soldier, Then Go...... Don't Come Here Anymore, Slow, What This Night Is For, Beast and Beauty (all have potential I think)

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-02-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #236
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

okkk i think it would be interesting to know this!... So I have a question for you all...
The first time a heard Damien was a whiiiile back in 2003 but really never paid much attention or tried looking for other songs ... i think i only heard the Blower's daughter and delicate or something i can't even rememeber ... but i know i didn't look at him much!
Then Closer came and it sorta reminded me of him ... so i started listening to his music more and more...and then eventually i heard Woman Like a man.... maybe it was the time of my life in which i heard it or something... but ya that was THE song that completely made me look at Damien in a totally different way and made me want aaaaaall his songs and shows and whatnot!.... ... it was all downhill from there!!!!

How about you all????! ... which song was the turning point for ya?!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #237
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
okkk i think it would be interesting to know this!... So I have a question for you all...
The first time a heard Damien was a whiiiile back in 2003 but really never paid much attention or tried looking for other songs ... i think i only heard the Blower's daughter and delicate or something i can't even rememeber ... but i know i didn't look at him much!
Then Closer came and it sorta reminded me of him ... so i started listening to his music more and more...and then eventually i heard Woman Like a man.... maybe it was the time of my life in which i heard it or something... but ya that was THE song that completely made me look at Damien in a totally different way and made me want aaaaaall his songs and shows and whatnot!.... ... it was all downhill from there!!!!

How about you all????! ... which song was the turning point for ya?!
shouldn't it be uphill? since ur into it not disliking it..

Ugh.. i don't remember it very well... i wish i could!! gahhhh! i'm gonna think about it and try to answer that one later.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:10 AM   #238
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

For me The Blower's Daughter, hands down!!!!! I think it might have heard it a few times but didn't register, and then went to see Closer and they played the song and I was blown away, and the song sounded so so so familiar but didn't know what it was, had to wait til the final credits to find out. I think I bought O on that same day

by the way, Linds we want your list

by the way 2, I might have found the OFFICIAL ACCIDENTAL BABIES video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJEzzh1vEjU

Last edited by borneoman; 10-02-2007 at 05:21 AM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #239
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

^^ I can't get the video to play, but maybe it's just me . hehe, ok I'll edit for my list

Hmmm, what song was the turning point for me. Well, I had heard The Blower's Daughter years ago, but couldn't find any info on it. I stumbled across Damien on myspace, but heard Animals, so I left. And then a couple weeks later, I was on Cuuliem's youtube page and he had vids of DR. I liked his taste in music, so I decided to start browsing for vids of Damien....and first came across the Abbey Road performance and was bloooooown away!!!!! I would say especially 9 Crimes and Volcano And after that, it was a mad mad rush to get my hands on everything else!! For a million and one reasons, I was in awe!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #240
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Hmm.. the first time I heard Damien was probably in winter of 2002, my first trip to Ireland. First song I heard was the blowers daughter, my friend played it for me and I fell in love with it. I was in love with everything Irish at the time so I wanted to know everything I could about Damien and his music. Thus began my love affair with Damo.