Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
Fitzcarraldo
Eskimumbojumbo Friend

Default Danish Music Scene

Right folks - I'm gona be in Copenhagen next Tuesday and Wednesday (26th & 27th).

I’d love to check out some bars and venues that advocate the type of music that is regularly discussed on this site. Anybody have any recommendations? Anybody know any good gigs on over those two nights?

Cheers for anyone that can steer me in the right direction (i.e. away from the good old Danish jazz scene and away from dodgy Scandinavian rock/metal)
but I'm afraid of what my friends might say,
You need a bath and your clothes are wrong,
Your not my type I can tell we wouldnt get along
Fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
cille
creepycute

ok, guess this one's for me...

first of all, this is a very good site to help you find restaurants, venues, cafes, art, cinamas - anything really: http://www.aok.dk/section/english

for jazz:
(jazz scene seems a bit sleepy these days - too bad you werent here a couple of weeks ago when the copenhagen jazz festival was on)
there's copenhagen jazzhouse but it seems there's nothing programmed for the dates you're here (http://www.jazzhouse.dk/koncerter/index.html)
la fontaine (http://www.lafontaine.dk/) has some cool late night jamsessions on weekends, but only hi-fi jazz bar on the dates you're there i'm afraid. the atmos there is pretty cool, brings you back to the golden jazz years of copenhagen in the 70'ies. you might bump into cool danish jazz musicians there.
Christiania (http://www.christiania.org/main/lan.php?lan=gb) has a jazz club, i think they late night have jamsessions on tuesdays or wednesdays.

A VISIT TO CHRISTIANIA IS VERY RECOMMENDED!!! just walking around there looking at people's home-made houses, enjoying the very chilled out atmos (on a good day it can be like the cool chilled atmos of amsterdam), buy a beer in the nemoland bar and check out their toilet with a fish baisin in the ceiling, maybe have a meal at 'spiseloppen'.

underneath 'spiseloppen' there's also a cool intimate rock venue, loppen (http://www.loppen.dk/) - damien played his first danish gig there (but alas! i missed out on that! ). doesn't seem to be any gigs on 26th and 27th though
another cool rock venue of cph, vega (where damien played his other danish gig) also seems pretty dead for the rest of this month i'm afraid. they have a singer/songwriter bar, but... only on the first wednesday of the month

all in all it seems pretty difficoult to find a venue that has concerts on the two dates - my city must be asleep for the rest of the month.

if you like good beer it is very trendy here these days to go to beer bars - a lot of them have their own mini brewery where they challenge boring beer like the stuff carlsberg produces. haven't been there myself, but Nørrebros Bryghus should be one of the best.

i'm not out every weekend so forgive me if the guide wasn't too informative. please ask again though, if there's anything in particular you'd like to know, would LOVE to help!

anything you do - avoid to go to the rock - it's an evil place celebrating the metal rock mainly of the 80ies i take it you're no king diamond fan
Old 07-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
hazey
Draper's Girl Friday

Also, don't miss out on Sussi & Leo if you get the chance. I hear they're phenomenal live.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazey
Also, don't miss out on Sussi & Leo if you get the chance. I hear they're phenomenal live.
dead or (a)live, they're always phantabulous

Last edited by cille; 07-21-2005 at 08:50 PM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
hazey
Draper's Girl Friday

Oh man, I wish I was half as cool as Sussi. Look at that eye make-up! And the flaming orange streaks! *sigh*
Old 07-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
cille
creepycute

give it up girlie - nobody can ever be even 1/4 as cool as sussi.

she paints too, mostly erotic motives, this is one of her more decent masterpieces:

oooh, the sauciness...
Old 07-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
dramaking
King of Pain

^haha looks like she has to pee!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
damofan
Eskimo Regular

My step mom is danish and from copenhagen - we used to go there every xmas - its lovely. their music is kinda dodge - but they do do some funny songs - aqua is a classic! haha theres one band who did a song called 'theres a dog **** in my garden' always a good one and 'una papakoia' god i have to ask her to borrow them!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by damofan
My step mom is danish and from copenhagen - we used to go there every xmas - its lovely. their music is kinda dodge - but they do do some funny songs - aqua is a classic! haha theres one band who did a song called 'theres a dog **** in my garden' always a good one and 'una papakoia' god i have to ask her to borrow them!
hehe, the dog**** in my garden one is with shu*bi*dua, one of the most popular danish bands. una papakoia? doesn't sound danish AT ALL. could it be something with 'papegøje', d'ye think? aqua sucks.

BTW Fitzcarraldo, yesterday i went to this really really cool artist/students sort of cafe in Nansensgade, very close to the H. C. Ørsteds Park and the lakes, it's called cafe BANKeRÅT, good food, excellent coffee, COOOOL decor and great atmos. drop by!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #10
Fitzcarraldo
Eskimumbojumbo Friend

Cool sounds perfect, i will definitely check BANKeRÅT out
Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 PM   #11
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Say, what would happen to me, if I start to talk to some danes in german in a public place in Denmark? Just curious....
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
cille
creepycute

depending where in denmark you do it; if you do it in jutland (the peninsula sort of stuck to the top of germany) they are used to german tourists and often watch a lot of german tv so they will probably reply in german. on sealand (the so-called devil island (jutlanders' definition)where copenhagen is situated and where i happen to live, people will probably look more disoriented and answer in english. german and germans sort of still has that bad reputation from ww2, and maybe even further back from 1864 when denmark fought preussia over areas in southern jutland. most danes are have sort of given up on the german language, it just has a bad reputation. i try to speak it when germans ask me something in german (ie at work), but my vocabulary and grammar are so miserable i often need to speak english instead, it's really embaressing. strange, cause i've had german at school for 5 years (as have most danes) and still it just hasn't really sunk in. i think a lot of danes (and again: mostly sealanders) feel like that. most kids are just not motivated to learn that language.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #13
cille
creepycute

so...how was your trip?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

theres a danish music scene?!?

only messing lovely danish people!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #15
cille
creepycute

watch it boyo!

Old 08-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #16
hazey
Draper's Girl Friday

Cille, I checked out that gallery; it is hilarious! The creepy thing is that she actually isn't a bad painter at all. I bet that if she wasn't the caricature that she is, people would appreciate her work. Look, she even looks "normal" here.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
Fitzcarraldo
Eskimumbojumbo Friend

Cille,

Just got back at the weekend - I was meeting friends for hijinks in Finland, Estonia etc and had to fly through Koebenhavn to get there - so I said I'd spend two nights there on my own on the way cos I'd always heard cool things about the city

Tuesday I got in late and just checked out Nemoland and Christiana. On Wednesday I did the touristy stuff Nhavn and Rundtarn and all that. Had lunch i Bankerat which was cool.

I was outrageously lucky on the Wednesday night - I was walking back to the hostel about 11.30 midnight and I head loud music coming from under the Aldo shoe shop on the Stroeget. There is some little venue there called Lades www.lades.dk Anyway, there was a local band playing in there called Genie Dean www.geniedean.dk who were cool. They model themselves on sweedish indie pop Cardigans and Wannadies etc. They have lots of potential and are a really tight 6 piece but seem to be a little introverted with regard to international music. I met some cool people in there and we ended up having a mad night out. I would definitely recommend Lades.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #18
cille
creepycute

argh, how could i forget lades? well maybe because all the times i've been there the music has been really bad. i'm glad you discovered it on your own