Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 08-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

Default New Wave of Singer Songwriters

Theres lots of singer songwriters coming through these days. Theyre even taking over the chart, for example James Blunt is riding high at the top of the British charts. And i was thinking, what do other ppl actually think of these new singer songwrtiers, such as, Stephen Fretwell, James Blunt, Jack Johnson etc. I personally think theyre really not that great. None of them are a patch on damien, obviously. But i really do love Willy Mason. What do you all think?
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

I dunno..maybe too many of them but then again I like the stuff they are doing. Saw Mr Fretwell at oxegen and he's really great. Sure some of them can be rather annoying but oh well..the companies release stuff what sells. and Obviously singers/songwriters sell.

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Colbarr
Eskimo Welcomer

I have recently grown to like james blunts music.(probably because when i was in Switzerland, You're Beautiful was one of two songs of the holiday, the other being Crazy World by Aslan.)

Check these out, Moesley.

Chairman of the Welcoming Comittee.
Colbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
hazey
Draper's Girl Friday

I've not heard of the other three but Jack Johnson sure kicks ass. A multi talent, that one. I'm not sure I'd even label him "singer/songwriter" as he claims himself that he is primarily a surfer, heh. Any which way, I'd much rather see singer/songwriters taking over the charts any day, instead of Britneys, Westlifes, Eminems, whathaveyou.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #5
Fitzcarraldo
Eskimumbojumbo Friend

Its not fair comparing people on the acoustic / singer song writer scene with Damien. He is a one off and at the moment has only one album. If you like that type of music then you want to hear people that evoke different moods and with different styles and voices

At the moment the people I'm listening to are Gary Dunne, Foy Vance, Malcolm Middleton and Jamie Lawson. Im also a fan of Mr Fretwell.
but I'm afraid of what my friends might say,
You need a bath and your clothes are wrong,
Your not my type I can tell we wouldnt get along
Fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
Bumpman

There's very few people on the planet whom i'd like to kick in the face more then James Blunt. For me he's on par with the rest of the sh*te that's hit #1 in the British charts this year. That's not at all a good thing.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
Oblimey
Eskimo Baby

Couldn't agree more mate, awful soulless commercial dross. I have a lot of time for Stephen Fretwell though...
Really happy to see Richard Hawley could finally get some breaks this year, loved his previous albums and think the new one could be really big for him. One of those artists you don't see chatted about much...check out www.richardhawley.com if you don't know him yet...
Oblimey is offline   Reply With Quote