Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 01-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Oscars 2011, your favourites??

so what do you think of the movies & actors nominated this year? who do you think should win?

I'm a big fan of Aronofsky & Black Swan, looooved the movie, best I've seen in ages, so it's my favourite... but I'm well aware it's not very Hollywood-esque, so I think it's only gonna get the oscar for best actress x Natalie Portman. Totally deserved cos she's amazing here, well, she's always amazing but here she's better than ever...

so far I've watched...
Loved: Black Swan
Liked a lot: 127 hours, Rabbit hole
Just ok: Inception, Social Network
Didn't like much: True Grit, The king's speech

I didn't think much of The King's Speech so it will probably win same with Colin Firth. I thought he was amazing in last year's A Simple Man, and he should have totally won x that, but not with this one
Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Natalie and Colin!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Black Swan is soooo Hollywood Marti. Especially with the gratuitous lesbian scene and all the talk about Natalie Portman loosing so much weight and going through all the training and blah blah blah. extreme body transformation = oscar. I liked it but its not my fave. The King's Speech on the other hand was quite amazing. mr. Firth should win. How can you not like it??!

True Grit was good and enjoyable, and funny. But Jeff Bridges got the oscar last year for Crazy heart with a role that is too similar to the True Grit one, me thinks. Rabbit Hole was fine, don't get what the big deal about it was though.

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 01-31-2011 at 02:29 PM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
dawno
just mildly free

Just saw The Fighter last night. absolutely incredible film! Christian Bale deserves to win, as does Melissa Leo. I liked it more than Black Swan & Inception.

Truly feel that Ryan Gosling was robbed of a nod. Not that he would have won, but his performance was superb, as was the film.

I think Natalie will win for best actress. Not a huge fan of Nicole Kidman, seems she's always nominated even when undeserving.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^^haha Maria we always disagree about everything but yes the lesbian scene was unnecessary...

I just downloaded The Fighter, will watch it later!!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Natalie Portman will win because the academy will sometimes give an oscar to someone based on their body of work even if it wasn't their best role. I am really over Nicole Kidman, and Hollywood in general but I haven't seen a lot of new movies, having watch instantly with Netflix has set me back a couple of years.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^^haha Maria we always disagree about everything but yes the lesbian scene was unnecessary...

I just downloaded The Fighter, will watch it later!!
We watched the fighter, and I liked it very much. But then we downloaded the actual documentary that was being made about Dickie Eklund (its a plot point during the movie) and turns out, crack is whack!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Exit through the Gift Shop was sooooooo good. I have a new respect for street artists. It really made me want to go paint on public property (and not get caught!)
Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawno View Post
Just saw The Fighter last night. absolutely incredible film! Christian Bale deserves to win, as does Melissa Leo. I liked it more than Black Swan & Inception.

Truly feel that Ryan Gosling was robbed of a nod. Not that he would have won, but his performance was superb, as was the film.

I think Natalie will win for best actress. Not a huge fan of Nicole Kidman, seems she's always nominated even when undeserving.
Definately agree. The Fighter was one of the standout films of the year. Bale and Leo definately deserve the nods.
Gosling was fantastic in Blue Valentine, quite amazed he didnt get recognition for it too.

For me Portman is getting too much hype for a role i personally didnt give enough merit to the performance.
She lacked grit and her dark side wasnt very dark at all. The direction seemed to aid her performance too much, overcompensating.. She seemed too nice and fragile to have these schizophrenic thoughts. Thought Mila Kunis could have done a better job with the lead. Wasnt madly pushed on the film overall which is very rare for an aronofsky film..

Colin Firth is a shoe-in. The Kings Speech is obvious Oscar Bait, and Firth will be remembered for capturing a stammer so well, but i actually loved his performance for the way he humanised George IV so well..

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic

Last edited by Gatsby; 02-14-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote