Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-20-2006, 01:46 AM   #31
flutterby
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Miriam that's so cool!!! I'm sooooooo jealous!!!!

I'm amazed at how easy you all meet Damien and talk to him... I'll probably be speechless if I met him.I've met Tori Amos (since she does meet'n'greets) a few times and I can barely speak and say my name. Too overwhelming for me.
thanks needless to say i was super stoked.
trust me when i met him i was so nervous, and i had actually taken a xanax an hour earlier, i would have been a mess otherwise. i definitely nervous babbled, and could feel my face turning bright red. but he was so nice! and cute! *sigh*
flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:01 AM   #32
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywy
I met him back in 2002 I think it was when the Cannonball single came out in Ireland, he played an instore gig in Tower, so he signed my copy of O and drew a pic of me on it! I was crushed out from that moment on :P

I also asked him could I steal a poster at the Rathmines instore gig. He was like I dunno it's not mine...it's still hanging on my wall. I'm a clepto when it comes to damien rice stuff...there was a poster for 9 on the bus today I was so tempted to steal it :P
first off, you must post pics of the drawing he made!!!!!

second, steal that damn 9 poster!!!!!
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #33
audity
High-Five Eskimo

He patted me on the head once right after a gig...I think he was drunk.
(I haven't cut my hair since)

He also signed a poster I made in art class about O...That happened right before O's glorious rise to success in the states

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:28 AM   #34
Topspin047
tennis pro

haha i was definitely nervous at first, ya know how when you see someone famous walking towards you, you kind of wanna go the other way, just because you're so excited/scared/an emotional wreck?! yeah thats what i kind of did, but then he came up and was so calm and cool about the whole thing i was just myself. and i was freezing and when he came i completely forgot about my toes and fingers being numb and just happy that damo was standing in front of me.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 AM   #35
flutterby
Eskimo Friend

two days before i actually met him, i almost did, but chickened out. I was in fingerprints (the record store he did the instore in in Long beach) like 10 minutes before they were closing to set up for the show, and there was about 5-10 people in the store, and Damien was about 10 feet away from me fiddling with stage stuff and i about died. i was trying not to be a freak, so i just kept nudging my friend and staring. at one point i started to move closer and this guy looked at me like "back away form the Damien" and then this other guy was like so you a big fan, and iwas like omg yes. but then we asked the guy who gave me the back away look for another wirstband so my friend could get into the show too, and he said ok but we had to stand in the front of the store (away from Damien) so we did...and i didnt meet him, but we got the video thanks to my friend getting in...so when i walked into the starbucks in LA two days later, first i just saw two guys who were basically in my way standing at the counter confused, and then i did a double take and realized HOLY **** it is Damien. I then some how manage to order a cup of coffee and put sugar in it, before even attempting to talk to him. though i think i was staring the whole time. finally his roady ( i think) looks at me, and then i said "im sorry but i just have to be a fan for a minute" and started talking to him. hehehehe!
best day ever!, front row at el rey a few hours later wasnt bad either
*smirk*
Old 12-20-2006, 03:18 AM   #36
Topspin047
tennis pro

haha thats a good story!!

"Back away from the damien" LOL. i know those looks all too well.

haha i would not have been able to fix a cup of coffee...i would have been shaking and probably spilled it all over the place, you've got some steady hands!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:23 AM   #37
flutterby
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin047
haha thats a good story!!

"Back away from the damien" LOL. i know those looks all too well.

haha i would not have been able to fix a cup of coffee...i would have been shaking and probably spilled it all over the place, you've got some steady hands!
ha, no i just so happened to have taken a xanax about an hour before, so i was way calmer then i ever normally would have been. i was internally freaking out though, i even said as much to damien, and he laughed saying "no your fine." oh and i explained to him why the frappacino was frozen, guess he didnt know what they were. and then he decided he wanted one too. it was so cute, b/c he was totally on a coffee run for everyone. had a list, someone had iced green tea, the frapaccino and some other things. but what a great guy to do the coffe run, and deal with my crazy ass
Old 12-20-2006, 03:28 AM   #38
Topspin047
tennis pro

haha aww what a nice guy, going for a coffee run.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:06 AM   #39
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Wink

Wow, this is a really cool thread. Nice to hear about all the run-in's at Starbucks and record stores and such. I guess I can share my story as well: After waiting about 45 minutes or so, I met Damien a few weeks ago in Oakland, Ca after he wrapped up a gig at The Paramount Theater. He was totally cool and I kept saying to myself, "Is that really him? Nah, that can't really be him." This went on for about 5 seconds until I finally got the nerve to ask him, "Hey man, is it cool if I shake your hand?" He was then like, "Yeah, sure." and reached out his hand and as I stood there shaking his hand all I could say was..."Thank you, thank you so much." I was of course referring to the fact that he shook my hand but also everything he's produced and how wonderful of an effect his life has had on me.

He was very humble all throughout and blushed a little after accepting my sincerity and replied "Thank you, would you like to join the rest of the band and I for the rest of the tour? I'll even throw in my patch-work shirt...come on, what do you say?"

'Now you know that's a lie.'
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 AM   #40
flutterby
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino
Wow, this is a really cool thread. Nice to hear about all the run-in's at Starbucks and record stores and such. I guess I can share my story as well: After waiting about 45 minutes or so, I met Damien a few weeks ago in Oakland, Ca after he wrapped up a gig at The Paramount Theater. He was totally cool and I kept saying to myself, "Is that really him? Nah, that can't really be him." This went on for about 5 seconds until I finally got the nerve to ask him, "Hey man, is it cool if I shake your hand?" He was then like, "Yeah, sure." and reached out his hand and as I stood there shaking his hand all I could say was..."Thank you, thank you so much." I was of course referring to the fact that he shook my hand but also everything he's produced and how wonderful of an effect his life has had on me.

He was very humble all throughout and blushed a little after accepting my sincerity and replied "Thank you, would you like to join the rest of the band and I for the rest of the tour? I'll even throw in my patch-work shirt...come on, what do you say?"

HAHA! nice!
the last thing i did was shake his hand, complete after thought on my part. i introduced myself and shook his hand after talking to him for 5 plus minutes and then i left. lol
i was at that paramount show, it was great! not the best, but really amazing all the same. and that theatre! omg! im going back to take a tour of it sometime, and take pictures.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #41
Topspin047
tennis pro

Quote:

hahaha. THAT would be something.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #42
Tinkabell74
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Miriam that's so cool!!! I'm sooooooo jealous!!!!

I'm amazed at how easy you all meet Damien and talk to him... I'll probably be speechless if I met him.I've met Tori Amos (since she does meet'n'greets) a few times and I can barely speak and say my name. Too overwhelming for me.

wow, cool. you met tori amos a few times? i was always too late.
Tinkabell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #43
Timeé
Intello

dont be nervous guys. he's still a person.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #44
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

I've met him, and my girlfriend met Lisa too (She was rolling in dirt). I don't feel comfortable talking about it on here in fear of getting too long-winded and telling you every detail of how the universe conspired that me and Damien were in the same place at that time, how many millibars of pressure were in the atmosphere, every word uttered, and of course the fantastic symbology of it all...unlike some people!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:22 PM
flutterby
This message has been deleted by flutterby. Reason: because
Old 12-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #45
Nine
Inuit

this is so embarrasing now, looking back... but i'll tell the story anyway...

When i met him, i didn't really know what to expect and i didn't want to piss him off, but there was so much i wanted to say to him. so before we went to the gig I wrote a short letter just saying everything i wanted to, incase i should see him. I was lucky enough for him to walk right out the front door to where i was standing, and he caught my eye so I said something like "damien, could I give you something?" I was too nervous to talk much ( i think i would be able to now, but i was younger then and more naive) and the memory is a bit blurry as it was so surreal. I was meeting the person I aspire to more than anybody else in the whole world. So anyways I handed over the note and he was like "what's this?" So i just mumbled something about reading it when he went back inside, and stuttered some kind of thankyou...

so off he went back inside, and by the time the gig started i was lucky enough to be front row center, right infront of him. In the note I mentioned something about the song "lonelily" and what it meant to me etc - and about half way through the gig he looked down to me, and said "and this one's for you nine*" (*replace nine with my actual, more boring, name!) and proceeded to play Lonelily

i couldn't believe it - it was just lovely.

so yeah that's my story. hehe x

Last edited by Nine; 12-21-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:46 AM   #46
Valentino
Eskimo Enthusiast

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
this is so embarrasing now, looking back... but i'll tell the story anyway...

When i met him, i didn't really know what to expect and i didn't want to piss him off, but there was so much i wanted to say to him. so before we went to the gig I wrote a short letter just saying everything i wanted to, incase i should see him. I was lucky enough for him to walk right out the front door to where i was standing, and he caught my eye so I said something like "damien, could I give you something?" I was too nervous to talk much ( i think i would be able to now, but i was younger then and more naive) and the memory is a bit blurry as it was so surreal. I was meeting the person I aspire to more than anybody else in the whole world. So anyways I handed over the note and he was like "what's this?" So i just mumbled something about reading it when he went back inside, and stuttered some kind of thankyou...

so off he went back inside, and by the time the gig started i was lucky enough to be front row center, right infront of him. In the note I mentioned something about the song "lonelily" and what it meant to me etc - and about half way through the gig he looked down to me, and said "and this one's for you nine*" (*replace nine with my actual, more boring, name!) and proceeded to play Lonelily

i couldn't believe it - it was just lovely.

so yeah that's my story. hehe x

Oh my Gandhi, that is such a wonderful story! What a great way to tell someone EXACTLY how you feel, and do you happen to remember what you wrote? I would love to read it but maybe it's too personal and in this case, you're more than welcome to abstain. Man, I don't know what I would do if Damien were to 'dedicate' a song to me during a live gig. Congratulations Nine, and I'm sure your real name isn't too bad anyways. Peace.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:34 AM   #47
theninthcrime
Igloo Melter

Wow Damo seems to really like his Starbucks

I waited around like desperate teenage fan after his gig in the Temple Bar Music Centre about 2 years ago for the Tsunami disaster. A few fans were waiting around and the stage crew threw out tomos drumsticks and I caught one- which is cool- looks like it got some pelting.
Lisa came out first and she was really nice- she signed my ticket but I cant make it out at all. Then damo came out and everybody kind of ran over to him- I got talking to him for a minute and was asking him bout a song he was planning to write in Irish and the stupid same old questions that every1 wud in that situation about his next album and stuff. He was really cool tho Someone else asked him something before i had chance to get his picture properly but i kinda just stood beside him anyway and took it- its my Avator
<<<<<<-----------

he loves his patchwork poncho!!!
theninthcrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #48
rockthesmurf
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
nobody has ever met him, he is a mysterious character similar to that of the irish leprachaun.
Haha
Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #49
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Oh my Gandhi, that is such a wonderful story! What a great way to tell someone EXACTLY how you feel, and do you happen to remember what you wrote? I would love to read it but maybe it's too personal and in this case, you're more than welcome to abstain. Man, I don't know what I would do if Damien were to 'dedicate' a song to me during a live gig. Congratulations Nine, and I'm sure your real name isn't too bad anyways. Peace.

I honestly can't remember exactly what I wrote - but it was basically telling him what I admire most about his writing, and saying why I admire it. I said about how music in general is a part of my life, and how I've completely changed my view on a lot of things since discovering his music. I also talked about what an inspiration he is to me, but also that sometimes he's quite the oppisite, because his music is just SO good that sometimes I feel what's the point of trying when there's stuff as good as his in existance. But that feeling tends to pass and just make me try harder.
x
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #50
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constanze
I also hate begging for an autograph..hell, what´s an autograph? someones handwriting..wow..I don`t know what this should mean for me?!
I`d love to talk to him, look him in the eyes..catch a bit of his character..whatever..
I`m against autographs but I`d like to take a picture with him..I think that`s way different

Yeah, I really understand this. I don't feel the same way that autographs aren't valuable, I definitely understand why people want them. But I totally agree that the exchange with the "admired person" is so much better quality when it's an exchange of eyes and words and a connection. When you ask for an autograph, the person you admire is looking down and concentrating on spelling your name right, not on listening to you or answering your questions.

The times I've met Damien in a fan environment, it made all the difference that I didn't ask for an autograph (even though he was giving them those times). I was able to have an actual conversation, and he even asked me a couple questions, which I was honored by!

So yeah, I am also not one to ask for autographs. Sure, it would be great to have something to show everyone adn some physical memory of the moment, but I'd rather the moment itself be cool and memorable!
World Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #51
World Cafe
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine

I honestly can't remember exactly what I wrote - but it was basically telling him what I admire most about his writing, and saying why I admire it. I said about how music in general is a part of my life, and how I've completely changed my view on a lot of things since discovering his music. I also talked about what an inspiration he is to me, but also that sometimes he's quite the oppisite, because his music is just SO good that sometimes I feel what's the point of trying when there's stuff as good as his in existance. But that feeling tends to pass and just make me try harder.
x

Nine, your story is just beautiful! It doesn't always happen that the person you admire gets to read such a note, but it sounds like you were in the right place at the right time, and he obviously was touched by what you said!

I once sent a letter to the fanclub of a different artist I really liked and admired at the time (Dave Matthews). This was years and years ago, but they were still really big already and I figured he'd probably never see it but I still made a special effort to dress up the envelope and make it special. I'd met him a couple times before the letter, and then a few months after I sent it I saw him again. I figured he'd never even seen it, no one probably gave it to him, and I certainly wasn't expecting a response, but it was like yours Nine, it was all the things I wanted to tell him about why I admired him.

Would you believe that next time I saw him, HE shyly came up to ME and said "Um, Uh, I got your letter... sorry I haven't had a chance to write back yet, I've been pretty, well, busy... but thank you! I really appreciated what you said in it!" I almost fell over!!!

So the moral of that story is: it's a great idea to put your thoughts down in writing, especially when they're so heartfelt. You never know what chance you'll have to share them!
World Cafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #52
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Chances of seeing him in London anyone? =P

Edit: Actually, any tips on how to meet him to have a good old chin wag?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #53
peterj
eskimo friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
Also leprachauns don't have opposable thumbs which makes it difficult to hold a pen.
hahahahahahaha i laguhed so hard when i read that..good stuff..good stuff...i didnt get to meet him after the boston show he split for ny pretty quick but i got to meet vyv, shane and lisa...and ended up hangin out with lisa for about an hour and went christmas caroling with her inside a 7-11 which made my life she is an absolute angel...unreal..
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #54
bambi
Eskimo Amie

I think I would give pretty much anything to meet him... everyone who has posted is so lucky. I.. I just wish so much that I could. I think I probably would cry, or pass out. He seems really down to earth, some people have said to me that he's arrogant and doesn't bother with his fans, but i disagree (angrily..) and think that its so nice to see a musician who shys away from the celebrity scene and media circuit. Its endearing.
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:51 AM   #55
VolcanoesMeltUDown
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterby
HAHA! nice!
the last thing i did was shake his hand, complete after thought on my part. i introduced myself and shook his hand after talking to him for 5 plus minutes and then i left. lol
i was at that paramount show, it was great! not the best, but really amazing all the same. and that theatre! omg! im going back to take a tour of it sometime, and take pictures.
Said it on the CP forums and I'm saying it here again...LUCKY!
VolcanoesMeltUDown is offline   Reply With Quote