Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 01-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Aime
Eskimo Regular

hmm, spelt his name wrong but anywho... my mate was telling me a while ago that she was watching cd:uk and daniel beddingfield was on(i know i'm spelling his name wrong.. really don't care!) anywho!

Cat Deely (who is so cool!) was interviewing him and she asked was he surprised about any of the nominations for the brit awards and he said he was shocked that Damien Rice didn't get nominated for anything and went on for a while about how amazing "o" is and anyone who doesn't own it should go out and buy it...

so.. fair play to him! the boy has taste!!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
2dollarbill
Eskimo Friend

Yep, he has impeccable taste, but why doesn't that shine through to his own music, I wonder?

I shall now be puzzled for the rest of my days till my own face becomes a question mark and I am robbed of my own identity

Edited by: 2dollarbill
2dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
hotwhiskey
Eskimo Baby

The twat went on to say that a U2 song was in his top two British songs of the last few decades...
Old 01-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
2dollarbill
Eskimo Friend

Good job I wasn't eatching...

Me and Maddox share opinions of U2

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

2dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
hotwhiskey
Eskimo Baby

Just wish people wouldn't get their countries mixed up! It's not difficult...
Old 01-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #6
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aime

Cat Deely (who is so cool!)
Cat Deely doesn't like vegetarians... Damien is a vegetarian... I AM A VEGETARIAN [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

Bloody Veggies! Cat Deely just went up 10 points in my book [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Silverthumb
Eskimo Baby

Hey, I'm a vegetarian, Cat Deeley is getting ripped outta my book!
Silverthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
Bittersweet
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwhiskey
The twat went on to say that a U2 song was in his top two British songs of the last few decades...

thats not that big a deal.

nice to see the institutionalised anglophobia still runnign rampant in ireland. if only the general english public knew how much they were despised across the water. Still ignorance is bliss.
Bittersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Uno- X
Eskimo CSI

I love Daniel...

Uno- X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet

Quote:

nice to see the institutionalised anglophobia still runnign rampant in ireland. if only the general english public knew how much they were despised across the water. Still ignorance is bliss.
In fairness it's not anglophobia. We are a small country and proud of our successes. Claiming all our achievements as "British" is infuriating.

The fact that it is done so often infuriating.

And frankly your claims that it's "not that big a deal..." is symptomatic of the colonial mindset. This is why we support any team playing against England.

We will always feel competitive towards our larger neighbour, but if we were shown some genuine respect then maybe we'd support ye more often...

NB this is not a rant, I am not angry, I am just explaining our point of view... maybe it will change yours a little [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #12
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #13
Libby
Eskimo Regular

Yes, I know where you are coming from Wheels. I feel the same whensuccessful New Zealanders get called Australian!

Also, are you serious about Cat Deely being anti-vegetarian? Hmmph.

Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
Bittersweet
Eskimo Friend

well i'm of strongdescent, and felt obliged to look into the whole thing and did it as my history dissitation. so I'm well versed with the whole situation. However I can't see things ever healing over between the two countries. It's a political mess.

But as an individual, it sorta offends me. I always deny being any part irish when in ireland. When thats very much a lie.

I have friends who spout their irish-ness ' and I'm like, you've never been there, you have some distant dead relation with ginger hair who was probably scottish, and anyway, what do you wanna go over for to get your face smashed in?'

its just though I'm hardly patriotic, as I'm so mixed, i don't stand at anyone one point.its like being pulled apart by horses. Find myself sticking up for one side.

As much as I hate patriotism, and patriots I think neither country is in anyway any better than the other. Both have done incredibly evil things ( black hole, famine, i mean we invented concentration camps for f**k sake! ) but you know you guys arn't angels either.
Bittersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #15
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I remember her saying something to that effect on MTV a few years back, but couldn't quote her... and she MAY have become more enlightened since...

Old 01-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #16
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:

As much as I hate patriotism, and patriots I think neither country is in anyway any better than the other. Both have done incredibly evil things ( black hole, famine, i mean we invented concentration camps for f**k sake! ) but you know you guys arn't angels either.

Us guys? I certainly haven't shot any soldiers or blown up any city centres nor have I asked anyone too. Those f**kers have never done ANYTHING in my name.

Look, for the most part the Irish (and I'm talking about those in the repubulic here) don't harbour anygenuinehatred for the English, we just enjoy seeing them lose at sporting events (I think its something to do with the pompousity of your media, the redtops in particular),so dothe Welsh, the Scots and the French.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:34 PM   #17
Catch-22
Eskimo Regular

Danniel Bedingfield is evil!![img]smileys/smiley15.gif[/img] Look at the anger he brings out in people!! ^[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img] ^^^

Mic Christopher and the kisses in the sky
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:38 PM   #18
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2005, 02:01 AM   #19
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22
Danniel Bedingfield is evil!![img]smileys/smiley15.gif[/img] Look at the anger he brings out in people!! ^[img]smileys/smiley18.gif[/img] ^^^

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img] do evils look alike?[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #20
Thomas9
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
I have friends who spout their irish-ness ' and I'm like, you've never been there, you have some distant dead relation with ginger hair who was probably scottish, and anyway, what do you wanna go over for to get your face smashed in?'

What d'you mean by that? Do you think Ireland is hostile or what?
Thomas9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:35 PM   #21
Hannah650
Wee Wils

Quote:

and anyway, what do you wanna go over for to get your face smashed in?'

huh?? just curious about what ya mean by that bittersweet?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:24 PM   #22
fmmc
Eskimo Friend

wow things getting a little heated here. well i personally have nothing
against the British people, although i def agree with #ian# about the
sporting thing. But thats really as far as it goes. of course there
will always be some people who don't feel the same, but don't judge all
of us because of a few.

Well thats me done, i think i need to sleep now[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2005, 11:23 PM   #23
hotwhiskey
Eskimo Baby

Quote:

Quote:

I have no problem whatsoever with England or its people; in fact, I would be an enormous hypocrite if I did, given the fact that I love a lot of English music, support an English football team, have loads of relatives and friendswho areeither English or living in England and I could go on. My point was merely that it's irritating when English people presume Irish things/people are English when they are not. The reverse would also apply, by the way. Oh, and the other irritating thing is when I'm misinterpreted by an ignoramus.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #24
emmi
Eskimo Regular

Danniel Bedingfield is gonna perform tonight on the Miss Finland competition, what an awful, awful combination[img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

emmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #25
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] Miss Finland you say? [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #26
mariodiclerico
Eskimo Friend

This is a pretty silly argument, since U2 albumsshould really be categorized as International. They record at studios in Dublin, London, Berlin, Miami, and South France (though the majority of their tracks came from studios in Ireland). They areproduced by Steve Lillywhite and Daniel Lanois(both American) and the albums get mixed in Los Angeles
mariodiclerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:47 PM
rosey
This message has been deleted by rosey.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #27
Bumpman

Well U2 are from Dublin, thus U2 music originates in Dublin... When you talk about where a musician is from, you don't give the nationality of their producer [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

This whole argument reminds me something that happened to Brenda Fricker, she'd been arrested for being drunk in an airport... and one of the major english broadsheets (can't quite remember which one) ran the headline "Irish Actress Brenda Fricker Arrested For Drunken Incident In Heathrow", then ten days later the same section for the same paper ran the headline "British Actress Brenda Fricker Wins Oscar".

I have to laugh every time i remember that... Magic[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #28
mariodiclerico
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Well U2 are from Dublin, thus U2 music originates in Dublin... When you talk about where a musician is from, you don't give the nationality of their producer

Actually, you credit what label the album was made on, just like you do with films. Butif you want to ignore that,and look at the people's heritage, my point was thatLillywhite and Lanois (who are actually British and Canadian, I stand corrected, though they both do the majority of their work in the US) play as biga role as the members of U2 in makingalbums.Edited by: mariodiclerico
Old 02-06-2005, 03:01 AM   #29
Bumpman

Well then i guess U2 are a band from dublin who make Irishbritishcanadianrockpop music, it's a pretty original way of describing yourself [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2005, 03:10 AM   #30
mariodiclerico
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Well then i guess U2 are a band from dublin who make Irishbritishcanadianrockpop music, it's a pretty original way of describing yourself

Basically. And thats why quibbling over whether they are Irish or Brittish is rather petty. Besides, in the US we really don't care b/c its just European to us. Just like you guys wouldn't care whether Norah Jones is from Texas or NYC (she grew up in Texas, but moved to NYC when she became a professional musician).