Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 09-13-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Okay, we know there are plenty of you in Boston... and going along tonight... so we'll be expecting reports back. Don't forget to get a photo of the great Dodima surrounded by EskimoFriends tee-shirts! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Enjoy the show peeps...
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Thanks, Wheels. CAN'T WAIT!!!

[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:10 PM   #3
administrator
forum administrator

have a great time angela!
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Thanks, Emm!

[img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]

I'll write a loooong review!
Old 09-13-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Boston Phoenix blub from September 12th. This is a weekly entertainment guide and the current issue has a quarter of a page announcing tonight's gig (accompanied by Damo's and Josh's promo pictures)

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY

Josh Ritter is an American singer-songwriter who's found a following in Ireland; Damien Rice is an Irishman who's on the verge of an American breakthrough; and both of them are arriving - separately - at the Paradise this weekend. Ritter, an Idaho native now living in Somerville, went all the way to France to record his new 'Hello Starling' (Signature Sounds), but he's back celebrating the release of that album, which gets up to its knees in Dylanesque lyrical shrubbery wityhout forsaking the kind of forlorn hooks that made David Gray a star. He's here Friday at 9 p.m.; tickets are $12. Damien Rice's magnificent debut, 'O' (Vector), is a collection of stark, crystalline chamber-soul ballads and alterna-country story songs rendered in a voice that combines Ryan Adams's murderous intimacy with Jeff Buckley's wounded transcendence. His single, "Volcano," is currently the absolute grandest thing you can (occasionally) see on VH1. He's here on Saturday at 9; tickets are $15.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:08 AM   #6
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

So Angela how went the gig? Did your EskimoFriends tee-shirts get you any special treatment?? [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
Angela
Eskimo Regular

It was great!

No special treatment (but I was out of the line-of-sight anyway), but on the way out I spotted another flying igloo which led to a meeting of long lost relatives, so to speak: [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img] "Paudie!!!"...."Angela!!!" Instant recognition thanks to your brilliant t-shirt design!

Will be back later with more (including set list). Need to nurse my headache first [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Fashion first: the hair is short again, no more mohawk! .[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

For whatever reasons Damien didn't take the stage until 10:40 pm. Paudie talked with him before the show, maybe he knows more. I arrived at 9 pm, so I got to see quite a bit of opening band Pedestrian. Damien and Shane were standing by the bar for quite some time during their set. The bar is at the wall opposite the stage. Only one or two people recognized him, which was quite funny. Shane looked *very* tired. [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]

The show apparently was hosted by 92.5 FM "The River" ( http://www.wxrv.com/ ). I think the lady who introduced Damien was program director Nicole Sandler. Apparantly Damien had been in their studio that afternoon, playing a set. If I remember correctly, it will be broadcast Monday, but my memory on that is shady.

1/ The Blower's Daughter
2/ Volcano
3/ Woman Like A Man
4/ ("Scottish boy" intro leading into...) Amie
5/ Older Chests
6/ Prague (?)
7/ Childish (solo)
8/ Groovin'
9/ Puple Haze (Vyvienne solo, chello & vocals) + a short drum solo by Tomo.
10/ Me, My Yoke & I **
11/ Blower's Daughter II
12/ Eskimo
13/ I remember ***
16/ Jam with opening band Pedestrian, including covers of 'When Doves Cry' (Prince), 'Babe I'm Gonna Leave You' (Led Zeppelin) and 'Glory Box' (Portishead).

The show lasted until about 12:20, a little over 1 1/2 hours.

*Quite* a few Irish people there (1/4 of the audience?) and there was much joking about. At some point someone in the audience handed Damien what I think was an Irish passport for an autograph and Damien was leaning down from the edge oif the stage to sign it. [img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img]

** Damien told a story here of how he had been told about Boston's baseball team, the "Red Sox" earlier that day by somebody. Boston is very much a sports town and Bostonians are very loyal to the Rad Sox, though, judging from what i see in the newspaper they are loosing all the time! [img]smileys/smiley26.gif[/img] Damien hence dedicated the song to the Red Sox "who are always f**king up at the last moment". (I think he wore a Red Sox baseball cap during that song, too. I was already at drink #4 at the time.)

*** Damien announced the song before he started playing it and a girl from the audience volunteered to sing Lisa's part. Damien looked doubtful, but invited her up to the stage. I think her name was Kasey, but I'll let Paudie tell you the details, because I think he knows her!

She was very good! She forgot a verse or two but recovered quite nicely and delievered the "Except you my love. Except you my love..." cue for Damien's part after the missing verse. She got a lot of much deserved applaus. [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

**** Thanks to the typically aweful Boston audience Damien was interrrupted twice during the song (I think it was this one or the Professor?) [img]smileys/smiley21.gif[/img]

This was actually the first time I saw Damien with the band and it was very different from seeing him solo. Also, there were 500 people there, not 80 like last time. The applaus before and after each song was *thunderous*!!! I especially loved to hear Amie; the "spaceship" outro is great live. I still don't think much of BDII, personally. It sounded even more like Thom Yorke to me in person than before. The jam at the end was just great! Tomo shared his drum set with the Pedestrain's drummer, who you could tell just had a ball! I completely adored the Portishead cover Damien did!

Great show all around. I hope I left something for Paudie to tell (or correct!) tomorrow!
Old 09-14-2003, 01:30 PM   #9
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Thanks Angela! Over to you Paudie...
Old 09-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #10
JAKE
Eskimo Friend

Angela Great Review!!

As were waiting for "Padie" reviewI'll put in my2 Cents about last nights gig.I gotto the venue at about the same time Angela did not expecting to wait ina linebut it was quick so I didn't mind.Once I got into the venue thePedestrains were about half way through there set and the crowd had not yet settled in for the night. At this point I knew that it was going to be a longnight ofbeers, beer and more beers. Crowds inBoston can either be really respectful or God awful!! Last nightwe had a little of Both!

I did happen to notice that and Damien waschilling at the bar but didnot feel that I should call him out on it due to the fact that he was standing right behind me. I gave him a quick headnod and he responded with awink. Nice a low pro!!

Highlight not mentionedyet:

The Loop during "Volcano"

Damientook the crowds cheering and combined it with some simplefinger picking toLoop a very up beat version of "Volcano" last night.

All and All I had a Great night and Hope he comes back Soon!!

Radio note:WBOS 92.9 and The River 92.5 both had Damienperform during the day so check out both stations for some"New" Live stuff!!Edited by: JAKE
JAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 04:38 PM   #11
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Hey Jake, I must have seen you (without knowing). I was sitting on the balcony just to the left of the bar.

Good point about the looping! I was sooooo impressed by it! I remember when I first heard him experiment with it (early this year?) it seemed very hit and miss; but it has developed *really* well.

Though I must say I missed a little bit the goosebump effect his voice gave me when he played the small front room (without the effect pedals). But that's one thing I like about him, the different hats he all knows how to wear.

They were at TWO radio stations? Wow. I'm not surprised then that they didn't play longer (as they had in Philly and Toronto).

Let us know if you find anything about local radio sessions, Jake.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:46 PM   #12
dara
Eskimo Regular

yeah was a good show but when i seen him solo in tt's it was like a f**king hurricane. goosebumps all over the shop with the band its still good like......but. Vivyienne was a good laugh, the crowd were pretty cool as there were a lot of us prodical sons there and ya know when the drink flows we get a bit vocal so there was that element but it wasnt too bad ive seen worse displays of Irish abroad, as i gave up the demon drink quite some years back I remained silent and humble [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
I'm pretty sure my only problem with the gig was my own overdosing on damien bootlegs and webcasts as I knew every f**king song he was going to do just from him tuning up and I knew what he was gonna say, so I was like yeah whatever....but having said that , thats my fault, so Im off to listen to the frames and role on oct 9th.
just so ya all know back home Damo and co now have a big huge shiny bus just like real rockstars like spinal tap and bon jovi have. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:34 PM   #13
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dara
I'm pretty sure my only problem with the gig was my own overdosing on damien bootlegs and webcasts as I knew every f**king song he was going to do just from him tuning up and I knew what he was gonna say
I think that's why I liked the Beth Gibbons cover so much. Something new and totally unexpected. (And sorta cool he covered a woman's song, like a certain Jeff used to do.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dara
big huge shiny bus just like real rockstars like spinal tap and bon jovi have. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Oh my gawd .... I saw the bus! Say no more! It's THEIRS? I didn't even want to entertain that thought.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:02 PM   #14
megan
Eskimo Regular

a couple of things...

one, as a boston red sox fan, i found the story about him introing the song to the sox, who are always f**king it up at the last minute... HILARIOUS!

also, i'm sure the bus isn't theirs. bands and artists almost always rent a bus like that for touring. the liklihood that they actually own that bus is miniscule. esp. since damo doe not tour the US often.
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:18 PM   #15
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Oh, I didn't think they *owned* the bus, Megan. [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

Apparently I missed half the fun by not being into the Red Sox myself. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2003, 10:22 PM   #16
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Over 50 gigs in the U.S. just in 2003 with a november states tour in the works to boot.. That's not often? Especially when you look at the rest of his tour overseas for the year he has a hardcore schedule compared to most artist..My hat is off to him to muster up the inspiration each night..
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:12 AM   #17
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Ok, I don't have much more to add bout the gig cos Angela, Dara and Jake already did such a great job...the looping was indeed amazing. Sorry if the Irish contingent was too vocal. I thought it added to the atmosphere![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]...I was actually surprised that there wasn't more Irish people there!Nobody in the queue beforehand seemed to be Irish. Talked to some people who flew in from Texas espcially for the show! Anyways, I met Damo, Vyvienne, Shane that afternoon...I was just walkin up the street and Damien was standin outside the Paradise with a tiny bicycle! He said just 1 Irish show in Vicar St. in Dec but early next year he'll do a big tour. I never spotted him beside the bar! Was it during Pedestrian? I was right up at the stage... I'll try and have some photos by the end of the week.

Apparently, according to the Texans...and Damo mentioned it himself, he played an acoustic set in the Paradise lounge before the actual show. They said it was excellent. I was gutted cos I had planned to go in there early but had to wait for some people and didn't arrive until the queue was pretty big. I saw the support act, Pedestrian and I'd recommend them. They are with Damo on the whole tour I think, so anybody going to the other shows...go early!!

The gig itself was fantastic although it looks like he played longer in Toronto. To be honest, I didn't have any issues with the crowd..I didn't notice any interruptions, but then again, I was probably on drink #15!!!...I enjoyed it at least as much as any other gig I'v been to. Anyway...highlights were the loopin in alot of songs but esp Volcano...Purple Haze/Tomo's human beatbox(they have to be two of the coolest people!), Professor and the last song(s) were unbelievable! Portishead cover was class...apparently Damo just wants to be a woman!!

Also another highlight for me was I Remember...I'm not sure how everyone else felt about it, but as I knew the girl(Ciara) it was brilliant. She did a good job too, I thought! She said when she saw him in Cambridge in April, he did the same thing and brought up a girl to sing Lisa's part....and felt she could do a better job!! She's now officially a legend!!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:15 AM   #18
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

...and of course, the biggest highlight of the night was bumping into Angela!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 10:35 AM   #19
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDaNinjaPunk
...and of course, the biggest highlight of the night was bumping into Angela!!!
Such a gentleman [img]smileys/smiley27.gif[/img] ... as we know all Irish lads are [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] But it sure was cool to meet someone from the board and I can assure everybody that Paudie is a sweetheart!

I knew add some color to our story board here. I CANNOT believe he played an accoustic in the lounge. I'm now officially depressed. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

I figured you were near the stage. Yeah, Damo and Shane were at the bar during the last maybe three songs by the Pedestrian, who I agree were pretty good. Joel Shearer is an incredible guitarist, it seems.

You are right, I was too critical of the crowd. Damo had to stop one song twice because of somebody's shouting, otherwise the crowd was pretty good. I was closer to the bar, though [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img], so maybe I heard more.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:39 AM   #20
megan
Eskimo Regular

sorry, i didn't mean to sound like i was dissing on damo. i know he works very hard, and 50 us dates is a lot! but doesn't he actually reside in ireland? if so, there is no point to owning a bus in the us. also, most bands, even really big names, do not own their buses. they rent.

cheers. i can't wait for the boulder show!
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:44 AM   #21
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
I can assure everybody that Paudie is a sweetheart!
Aww, ur a [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img] Ang

Quote:
I CANNOT believe he played an accoustic in the lounge. I'm now officially depressed. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
Yeah, me too..I couldn't believe it! Other downers were me missing most of Eskimo cos some idiot at the bar kept talking to me and the fact that they didn't play Cold Water or Delicate...but hey...I just wanted them to play all night!!

Quote:
Joel Shearer is an incredible guitarist, it seems.
...and what a collection he had!! He must have had about 7 different guitars beside him for different songs!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:24 AM   #22
JAKE
Eskimo Friend

Just to set the Records straight the acoustic set in the Lounge was "Invite Only"

(I would have loved to have been there too!)

Edited by: JAKE
Old 09-15-2003, 11:33 AM   #23
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Really? Hmm those people that I talked to about didn't seem like the people that would swing an invite...They might have just said it was invite only?? It doesn't matter anyway cos we missed it regardless[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]. If it was invite only, I would feel a bit better about it though!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:41 AM   #24
administrator
forum administrator

thanks for all those reviews! and for finding out about vicar street. good work!
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:42 AM   #25
JAKE
Eskimo Friend

Invite: Radio Station Winner Only!!

(I tried to pull some strings but nothing seem to work)
Old 09-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #26
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE

Invite:* Radio Station Winner Only!!

(I tried to pull some strings but nothing seem to work)
Ah, so was that one of the two sets that were recorded by a radio station, then? Which station was that? And how would we get to hear / record a copy? That's what I get for not listening to Boston radio, eh? [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Good to hear you didn't get in either. [img]smileys/smiley24.gif[/img] &lt;*carefully lifts blanket from head and peeks out into the day*&gt;
Old 09-15-2003, 03:14 PM   #27
JAKE
Eskimo Friend

The Lounge was a WBOS (92.9) Event! I'm already trying to get my hand on this recording.

Once I do I'll pass it along to you all!![img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 04:02 PM   #28
Angela
Eskimo Regular

*sends lots of good vibes to Jake*

Good luck!!

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 07:40 AM   #29
FredDaNinjaPunk
Eskimo Regular

Yeah that would be great if you could Jake
Old 03-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #30
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I'm reviving this thread because I am trying to decide whether to go to the Boston show this time around.

I have some time and some money to just take a road trip, and I have a friend who wants to go with me. I have great seats for both the Philly and NYC shows. I figure since the Boston show is on a Saturday, I should go. But I am afraid that the Boston crowd is going to be loud and obnoxious....this is only exacerbated by the fact that the Boston gig isn't seated, and I find GA crowds to be more rude than seated audiences - it's the practical anonymity I think...maybe it's the drinking. I'm also concerned that I won't get anywhere near the stage. I like being up close...I'm too short to stand behind people. So I am scared of having the worst of the three concerts be my last Damien show for a while. What do you think?
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote