Old 04-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
blower'sdaughter
Eskimo Friend

a million dollar question.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

hey blower's daughter,
............a million dollar question indeed and has been for quite a few years now, it's the most frequent topic of conversation in this forum, and nobody seems to have any real idea. I think the reason for the long hiatus in Mr. Rice bringing out his third album is that he was a tad dissapointed with the reviews of '9'. It did not live up to 'O'. But then nothing could. 'O' was a modern master piece that I think drew inspiration from something beyond and outside of the man himself, it was almost spititual whereas '9' brought us back down to earth. I've no idea where his next album might go but I cannot say that I'm not still facinated and that he still has me hooked as to where he might go next. 'Look At Me' that came out in 2012 is maybe a taste of what's to come with his third official album. I'm sure he feels the pressure now to out do himself and maybe that's part of the problem. He maybe feels that he has to blast away 'O' and '9' and bring us a 10 . I've no idea. I'm only guessing. But I know I'd be just as happy with a 5 or a 6 from him. I just like his wave length and his authenticity. Maybe that's the key, to be authentic takes time and patience but life is only so long eh? 7 years is a long wait for a new album but I guess we're all still waiting and know that it will be worth the wait when it comes. I've never seem him live. Have you?

Last edited by Jane Doe; 04-27-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Jane Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
QueenOfTheSouth
Eskimo Friend

I think you're really missing the point here if you think Damien is in this for the reviews and the ratings...If anything, Damien has received a lot of flack on here for not caring enough - about his "fans" anyways. This is just me, but I honestly don't think he's feeling any kind of pressure at all to release anything. He's his own person and he stands his ground.This has been how he's operated right from the start and there's no indication of it changing. And for me, I'm perfectly, perfectly ok with not getting Album #3. The way he's been making music the last few years - with all the charity side-projects and especially how he slipped in some new songs on that amazing tour last year- that's really all I need.

When was the last time I listened to something on O or 9? Probably over 3-4 years now...His essence is in his live performances, so why do we need a recorded album from him? Can anyone seriously expect that any recorded version of "Back To Her Man", "Wild and Free", or "The Greatest Bastard" will even match the ones he did live on the European tour in 2012? I think that's the question we all need to ask ourselves before we get restless over a possible album #3.
QueenOfTheSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Undocorkscrew
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheSouth View Post
Can anyone seriously expect that any recorded version of "Back To Her Man", "Wild and Free", or "The Greatest Bastard" will even match the ones he did live on the European tour in 2012? I think that's the question we all need to ask ourselves before we get restless over a possible album #3.
No idea, but I wasn't fortunate enough to see him in that span and would absolutely love to own a studio(or high-quality acoustic) version of all three of those songs. I'm sure plenty of others would as well.
Undocorkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheSouth View Post
I think you're really missing the point here if you think Damien is in this for the reviews and the ratings...If anything, Damien has received a lot of flack on here for not caring enough - about his "fans" anyways. This is just me, but I honestly don't think he's feeling any kind of pressure at all to release anything. He's his own person and he stands his ground.This has been how he's operated right from the start and there's no indication of it changing. And for me, I'm perfectly, perfectly ok with not getting Album #3. The way he's been making music the last few years - with all the charity side-projects and especially how he slipped in some new songs on that amazing tour last year- that's really all I need.

When was the last time I listened to something on O or 9? Probably over 3-4 years now...His essence is in his live performances, so why do we need a recorded album from him? Can anyone seriously expect that any recorded version of "Back To Her Man", "Wild and Free", or "The Greatest Bastard" will even match the ones he did live on the European tour in 2012? I think that's the question we all need to ask ourselves before we get restless over a possible album #3.
Hey, agree with you totally actually, I did not mean to imply that he is at all concerned with any ratings from the outside, what I meant is that his experience to date as a recording artist presents to me as a person who is overly judgemental of himself to the point of censorship, he doesn't seem to allow himself the openess and rawness that it took to produce an album like 'O' anymore, whether this has come about by outside judgement of his work or from his own perfectionist artistic seal I don't know...all I meant to say is that perhaps he reached his peak as a recording artist with the genius 'O'..... now it is only now in his live performances that the same authenticity, rawness and vunerability is of 'O' is seen....and I do agree with you in that the live version of 'Wild and Free' is especially breath taking...

Last edited by Jane Doe; 04-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

...and I've never had the opportunity to see him live in the flesh but it's certainly on my bucket list of things to so before I die..
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
blower'sdaughter
Eskimo Friend

I think that he was not discouraged by the ratings, but by the fact that he himself wasn't totally satisfied by 9 (and that's crazy, he must understand that it's impossible for him to make a bad record.)
maybe he was pressured to release 9, he did not like it and he got bruised. I think now he got over that pressure and so he is taking his time to release a record that satisfies him first. and I think that's fine, he makes his records firstly for himself and then we will have the pleasure tu share it with him... that's art I think.
Fortunately, last summer I had the chance to see him live (in Rome, totally unexpected!!!) and I didn't think it was possible but I fell more in love with his music
Old 04-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
and I do agree with you in that the live version of 'Wild and Free' is especially breath taking...
haha... the song is actually called the box

it´s really interesting to get to know someone else´s point of view about damien making or making not a new studio album, maybe anytime soon we don´t have to explain that anymore since we will get something in our hands
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by blower'sdaughter View Post
I think that he was not discouraged by the ratings, but by the fact that he himself wasn't totally satisfied by 9 (and that's crazy, he must understand that it's impossible for him to make a bad record.)
maybe he was pressured to release 9, he did not like it and he got bruised. I think now he got over that pressure and so he is taking his time to release a record that satisfies him first. and I think that's fine, he makes his records firstly for himself and then we will have the pleasure tu share it with him... that's art I think.
Fortunately, last summer I had the chance to see him live (in Rome, totally unexpected!!!) and I didn't think it was possible but I fell more in love with his music
that's exactly what I meant...reading between the lines I think he judged himself too harshly with '9' and the critics didn't help by comparing it harshly with 'O'......do you agree that 'O' is an album that's one in a million ..... and nothing will ever compare ??....but unfortunately that's the bar that Mr. Rice originally set for himself and after '9' and 7 years on he's still fighting to get back to the rawness of 'O' with a new album........the album '9' could not appear but a little self conscious and studdied compared to 'O'....he got brused with 9 but he's older again now and bruised some more.......'O' had such a clear hope and purity and authenticity that impossible to capture again in my opinion.....I think if he could release an album as if nobody is listening or expecting anything much not even himself....he's his own worst judge and that's what makes him great and bad at the same time......if he could lighten up a bit and not be so hard on himself.....but then I guess it would not be Damien......yes he needs to satisfy himself first and not us because that is how we are left ultimately so hooked by his art......??