Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

Default Damien Rice is Unwell

Dear All,
Firstly, Mr. Rice is fine as far as I'm aware. I just need some feedback on my predicament. I am a fan of Damien Rice's music obviously as are you all. However, when I first listened to his music only in 2006, I'm afraid, I was blown away litterally. Yes his music voiced many unvoiced thoughts, feelings and frustrations like for you all, but it went a little further with me where I ended up sectioned in a mental hospital at the end of 2006. As you can probably imagine, my life as once a sucessfull financial professional went rapidly downhill and over the last few years I've ended up spending my time between periodic work, the partens and hospital. It's not been a fun ride but I'm getting back to me again just now after 7 long years.

So, if anybody is still reading, I'm currently in hospital and doing a course called Radical Openess which is wiping away the cobwebs and I hope to join the productive workforce again in the next couple of months. It's been a long and painful journey since 2006 with the sountrack of 'O' and '9' in the background. I've wanted to die, I've wanted to go wild, I've wanted to be free, I felt caged, I've cried, I've screamed, I've been quiet, I've felt crazy, I've hated the very sound of Rice's music and yet I kept on listening. It kept filtering in deeper and deeper. It seemed there was no end to the pits of desperation that I heard. In my crazier moments it felt like the word from on high!

So, where I going with this. My councellor asked me the other night as to whether I ever tried to contact Rice or go see him in concert. I have not. I thought it would break the spell and it probably would. How could a mere man live up to the journey I've been on all alone with 'O' and '9'. I've never really talked to other fans. I doubt his music has landed anyone else in a sectioned unit of a mental hospital. The best way I can explain it is that his music touched the authentic in me long burried beneath a facade of a modern traveller, sister, daughter, aunt, girlfriend, grand daughter and bloddy finance professional, a profession that I finally realised that while I might have the grey cells for it that I do not have the temperment for. Life is just too short.

If I could him you to rest I would not be writing at all. I've never seen him live because I've being trying to lay him to rest for so long. The music bringsout the reluctant shy tongue tied teenager in me and God knows I'm way past that milestone. Maybe it's time for me to buy that concert ticket but you are not exactly playing in my back yard. When is he playing in his own country again? I need to see him live to wash him away. Life is only so long!

I need to be shy, I need to be brave, I need to get you him of my head, Does he realise the effect he has by being totally him, Well I so want to be free but he reels me back each time I want to go wild, I need to move on and leave him behind with his ghosts of the past, Lisa, Melanie, Renee and God knows who else, I have ghosts of my own to lay to rest too, And maybe he finally needs to be laid to rest too!

I'm about to start off life again without the need for the soundtrack in the background but I might keep it for comfort. So as embarrasing as it is to air all dirty laundry in public, it's on professional advice and I've help on hand if you all say horrible things or if indeed you ignore this tirade altogether.

Thanks all,

Jane Doe

Last edited by Jane Doe; 05-06-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Jane Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

What do you mean by he needs to be laid to rest?
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
What do you mean by he needs to be laid to rest?
Maybe that sounded a bit morbid, but I think everyone on this site talks about his past releases and in the absence of any new album release, that seems entirely reasonable....but it's been 7 years since '9'...I'm sure he's changed and moved on...... I think eskimo friends I needs to too....... I hope if he ever does release anything new that it will not be more of the same....... I hope it will feel entirely new....so I would like to let go of 'O' and '9'..... they have served well as a soundtrack in the background for the last couple of years....now I need to change the tune...hope you get my meaning!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 AM
rachlanee
This message has been deleted by rachlanee.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Bandersnatch
Eskimojito

Hi 'Jane'

Thought I'd reply just to let you know that you're not alone on your journey.

I too found Damien and his influence in 2006 following a trauma in my life and and have followed a very difficult path since. Like you I'm just coming out of serious depression, not helped by an addiction to the amber nectar, which is now firmly behind lock and key! I have to say I managed to maintain gainful employment (God knows how - probably because mine is all about providing service for others less fortunate?).

Anyway - point is he and his lyrics / music touched my life in a way that, yes, sent me to the depths at times but also raised my spirits in a way I really find difficult to explain.

In 2011, I took the chance to see him in Paris (I'm from Bristol), as a detour from Le Mans. I can honestly say it was one of the the most uplifting and liberating experiences of my life - never for a moment regretted.

So don't hesitate - get to see him asap and help yourself to move on.

With very best wishes for a positive recovery

Paul

P.S. What's wrong with telling people who you are? What are they going to do apart from applaud your courage?
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Jane Doe
Eskimo Friend

Hi Paul,

He articulates the inarticulate in his music with imagery from elephants to volcanos to eskimos to coconut skins, both the highs and the lows. And because he articulates the lows as passionately as the highs we get a glimpse the bit of divine talent in the artist and a clearer view of our own humanity. He has such big heart but that seems to come with a huge conscience too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
Hi 'Jane'

Thought I'd reply just to let you know that you're not alone on your journey.

I too found Damien and his influence in 2006 following a trauma in my life and and have followed a very difficult path since. Like you I'm just coming out of serious depression, not helped by an addiction to the amber nectar, which is now firmly behind lock and key! I have to say I managed to maintain gainful employment (God knows how - probably because mine is all about providing service for others less fortunate?).

Anyway - point is he and his lyrics / music touched my life in a way that, yes, sent me to the depths at times but also raised my spirits in a way I really find difficult to explain.

In 2011, I took the chance to see him in Paris (I'm from Bristol), as a detour from Le Mans. I can honestly say it was one of the the most uplifting and liberating experiences of my life - never for a moment regretted.

So don't hesitate - get to see him asap and help yourself to move on.

With very best wishes for a positive recovery

Paul

P.S. What's wrong with telling people who you are? What are they going to do apart from applaud your courage?

Last edited by Jane Doe; 06-15-2013 at 06:06 PM.