The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Jarmuschrules
Eskimo Regular

Default Fed up of the raped music?

Hi.

Ive got to say, i am sick to death of Rice's music being raped and torn apart on TV and radio(the cannonball re-edit?) just to fit in with the mainstream.
I hated it when all those CD-Uk people abducted his songs, probably downloading them from the internet on their pentium 800 computers with no regard for any type of art, rejected any sense of his mystery.

I hate, hate this Cat Deely, mainstream world dudes! Why cant they leave his music alone! Do they even know what any of Damien Rice's lyrics are about!?!?! No they dont!! They just pick up on the occasional line like "kiss" or "love" or "beauty" and like the song !!!!!!!!!!? What the hell is that??!?!? Do they even care to realise volcano might be about oral sex!>?!?!? They have no sense or art or intimacy!!!?!?!?!??! just overloaded with this sugar coated, unartistic, capitalist, immediate world!!!!!!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!?!??!?!?!?!?! !?!?!?!? Why cant i be let be!!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!??? ??????????????????!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!!?!? !!!!!!!!

Oh yea, Hi by the way
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
administrator
forum administrator

heya...i personally think it's great the more people that get to like damien's music... people can like it for all different kinds of reasons... it doesn't affect how you or me like the songs, so just let it be... there's nothing wrong with something becoming popular...

Old 11-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmuschrules
(the cannonball re-edit?)
this is the only damien rice they play on danish radio and i get a bit sad every time i hear it cause i think it is misrepresenting his work. can't blame people who haven't heard O for thinking that Damien is just another boring mainstream pop-rock singer/songwriter artist because of this edit.

very frustrating.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:47 PM   #4
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

with the reality that there are so many "artists" who want to be promoted, want to be number one, want to be famous and/or rich, it seems impossible for him to maintain the purity for his music. this reminds me the song by ray lamontagne:

"All the wild horses
All the wild horses
Tethered with tears in their eyes
May no man's touch ever tame
May no man's reigns ever chain you
And may no man's weight ever defrayed your soul..."
Old 11-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

good lyrics! i just live and let live. damiens music is really personal and i appreciate it. overplaying annoys me, especially when it's done badly... but what you going to do, people only put it into their work because THEY like it. cold water was used beautifully in "the girl in the café" i think it was called, on the G8 campagn. that was excelent.

there's no reason to it's going to happen. everyone wants to paint the wild horses, some are just crap painters. you just got to be pleased that they appreciate them or be disgusted by their paintings. it's ur choice.

btw... what's the canonball radio edit that everyone talks about? it might be the version that i have? what's the difference?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
randybruder
Eskimo Baby

I dislike people who believe they are proving themselves as a 'true fan' by pointing out the mistakes of a new lover. Maybe they don't know what the song means. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they just like the lulling guitar strums with the beautiful beats.

Art is open to interpretation, and if someone interprets it different from the 'right way', your way, then are they wrong? In time they will come to know what Damien's words mean, but for now, can't they just appreciate it?

And, yes we get it. You knew of Damien before all of us, before the Closer movie, before his popularity spread out of Ireland. And sure. We understand that you're not a cog in the machine that truly makes the capitalist world go round. A 'freedom fighter' or some crap like that. But complaining in some message board with a ridiculous about of punctuation and God-awful English is possibly the worst outlet a person can pursue.

And as for the Cannonball Radio Edit, I enjoy it. I do prefer the original version, and I don't appreciate that that is mostly what is played on the radio, but it does help to spread the word of Damien. This is good for Damien; not for the money or fame, as any fan could tell you, but for the message being spread.

-Randy
Old 11-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybruder
I dislike people who believe they are proving themselves as a 'true fan' by pointing out the mistakes of a new lover. Maybe they don't know what the song means. Maybe they don't care. Maybe they just like the lulling guitar strums with the beautiful beats.

Art is open to interpretation, and if someone interprets it different from the 'right way', your way, then are they wrong? In time they will come to know what Damien's words mean, but for now, can't they just appreciate it?

And, yes we get it. You knew of Damien before all of us, before the Closer movie, before his popularity spread out of Ireland. And sure. We understand that you're not a cog in the machine that truly makes the capitalist world go round. A 'freedom fighter' or some crap like that. But complaining in some message board with a ridiculous about of punctuation and God-awful English is possibly the worst outlet a person can pursue.
who are you talking to mate?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybruder

I totally agree. sure there are set meanings for damien's songs but that does not mean each individual can't create ther own interpretation. i'm sure that if damien wanted his songs only to be about what he was thinking about at the time he wrote them, he would never have recorded and album (of course that also doesn't mean we should butcher theme either )

i personally have yet to hear damien on any radio station here in California, even though he's been on nationally televised shows...so i guess his music is not too out there but i don't mind it either way.

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
Old 11-09-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
Jarmuschrules
Eskimo Regular

well, pisses me off. Thats for sure.

I hate mainstream world and am not a pseudo-anarchist btw..............yea...............
Old 11-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
Beccaboo
Eskimo Friend

volcano's about oral sex? good lord..................is this right or was it just an example of deeper meanings into his songs?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:47 AM   #11
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

I believe the entire month's punctuation quotient has now been used up by this thread.

Just chill out already!

Damo isn't ever gonig to sell out so I don't care how popular he gets. That'll only help him to save the world.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #12
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet

Damo isn't ever gonig to sell out so I don't care how popular he gets. That'll only help him to save the world.
he's not God as he said.

i doubt that by promoting Damien's music you can save the (music) world. but it's a good alibi for some people.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
snowbaby
Eskimo Regular

i don't like this whole attitude of possessiveness and wanting to keep artists relatively unknown, prefering unknown "not mainstream" bands and artists and films etc.. sure at the start damo was not mainstream but then ppl started to discover his stuff was good so he became mainstream... that's what most artists want... to be successful... it doesn't mean they're selling out or losing their souls... everyone wants to be special and to be seen to be interesting and having an interest in unusual beautiful music is a part of that.... but your interests aren't who you are.... so chill out... damo's music is great but then again i love the prodigy as well and a lot of girls aloud's stuff!!! everything is mainstream eventually.... jus relax
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #14
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

It seems the classic thread from a month or two has had serious affect on this thread. I like what I am reading. With that said, to the original poster... I would ask you to try and imagine you did not know Damien Rice's music. You heard him today on the radio, cannonball. the edited version, but you don't know its the "Raped" version. You like it. You want more. You go on the internet, and you find more. You may buy 'O' on iTunes. You really like 'Volcano' and you decide to check out damienrice.com and after further search, eskimofriends.com and you see a forum thread about some guy going on about the crap you are saying in your post. Maybe I'm running in circles but TIMING is important. I thank God Damien Rice's 'delicate' was on the OC in the U.S. because without that, I would not know Damien, or at least I would not have found him so soon being in the U.S. So you see, it can bring in true fans who like the music. Point in case.

Also, good post on Ray Lamontagne's lyrics. I like it a lot.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #15
Jarmuschrules
Eskimo Regular

@That'll only help him to save the world.

u drunk dude? I know i am?!?!?!?!?

What i am saying is that i feel intimate with his music like when i make love to it with a lady friend. So intimate it is then that i dont want anyone to rape it. So sos sooosos osoosos osos os os so sos os os sos so sos sos os so sos os sosos os os so sos os sos so so so s9 s9 so sos so sos os so sos os intimate. I want to feel my ladys body, invisible or not. I love his intimacy.

BTW guys, i saw patrick wolf live in the scala on last monday. ****ING AMAZING!!!! please listen to his track wind in the wire and libertine on album "wind in th wires".

Amazing!!!

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread