Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Default He IS helping save it! Why is the thread closed?

I can't even reply?

Well, fine. I'll start another one to do it here then.

No, I'm not drunk. I meant exactly what I said, just as I always do. The more popular he becomes, the more people will know of him. Most people I know STILL have no idea who he is even though they've probably heard more than one of his songs by now.

Mr. Rice is extremely committed in my eyes to help use his music to bring our attention to serious worldwide problems.

In just the space of only one year he's released 3 separate benefit tracks for three different causes (extraordinarily generous when you consider that he's not a billionaire yet himself), played in numerous benefit concerts and even started a website to help free Burma. I doubt even the richer-than-God Bono could top all of that this year.

But since he's not yet a household name in America he can only sell so many (and not very many when you compare him to those who are) CD's and since selling several of those CD's directly helps people who really need it then I think that's quite a tragedy.

Therefore, I repeat: I believe that his popularity is crucial in helping to save the world.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
dizzy cannon
senseless eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
I doubt even the richer-than-God Bono could top all of that this year.
wasn't bono a possible nomination for the nobel peace prize...

im sorry but i really dont believe that damo is trying to save the world. the whole phasing of saving the world makes me giggle. makes me think of damo in a superman costume or something.

its a bird, its plane, no its SUPER RICE!

like many people i image damo whats to help others and feels passionate about certain problems in the world. i doubt he actually wants to "save the world" though. but then again i dont know him personally so i dont know what his true intentions with his career are.

"You're still reaching for the moon."
"No, father. The moon's reaching for me!"

myspace

dizzy cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
administrator
forum administrator

the other thread was closed because one of the members of the site decided to fill the board with random drunken postings. i deleted some of his threads and closed some others to try to prevent it from getting out of hand as it annoys me and lots of other people who use this forum.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

hehe, it made me giggle. drunkard bum. however i didn't see the ones that u deleted. atleast we get moderation , thanky anyway emett for lookin after the board lol.

haha, daddddddddrrrruuuuunk - only joking, i'm sobre as saussage.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy cannon
wasn't bono a possible nomination for the nobel peace prize...
its a bird, its plane, no its SUPER RICE!
I think he's been nominated before...? how about "Riceman"?hehee

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:07 AM   #6
gomezxico

Quote:
I can't even reply?

Well, fine. I'll start another one to do it here then.

No, I'm not drunk. I meant exactly what I said, just as I always do. The more popular he becomes, the more people will know of him. Most people I know STILL have no idea who he is even though they've probably heard more than one of his songs by now.

Mr. Rice is extremely committed in my eyes to help use his music to bring our attention to serious worldwide problems.

In just the space of only one year he's released 3 separate benefit tracks for three different causes (extraordinarily generous when you consider that he's not a billionaire yet himself), played in numerous benefit concerts and even started a website to help free Burma. I doubt even the richer-than-God Bono could top all of that this year.

But since he's not yet a household name in America he can only sell so many (and not very many when you compare him to those who are) CD's and since selling several of those CD's directly helps people who really need it then I think that's quite a tragedy.

Therefore, I repeat: I believe that his popularity is crucial in helping to save the world.
First, i don't think Damien is doing what he does for the good of humanity just to get credit for it (or just to beat Bono).

Second, I too believe that his popularity is crucial in helping to save the world, not planet Earth, but the music world.

Third and final, it does not seem to me (at least from reading and watching interviews that Damien is out there to "save the world," it seems more like he's out there to do what he can for humanity (whether it means releasing benifit tracks, donating money and time to different causes, or simply by choosing to play gigs), while at the same time entertaining.

--Ana

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
Old 11-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
-OzBuckley-
Eskimo Baby

<<it does not seem to me that Damien is out there to "save the world," it seems more like he's out there to do what he can for humanity>>

it seems that when a musician makes a statement through their art about something political, alot of the time people focus on the 'personality'..aka Bono. Its like people are more aware of bono's 'reputation' rather than what he is 'actually' doing.

Basically what im trying to say is, people are mistaking the messenger for the message.
-OzBuckley- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
unspokenanswer
Blue Eyed Eskimo

Wow, I go away for a month andwe have drunkards stalking the forums, damn; can't believe I missed it. Honestly, what I take from this discussion is not that he's trying to save the world. Those could be his intentions; we don't know for certain, we don't *not* know for certain. I take it he's a good person, wants to help, and feels, rightly so in my eyes, that there are changes that need to be made to make this world better for everyone in it. That's how I see it.

And, as Penguin Boy said, "I'm sober as a sausage." Thank you, very much.
All over my skin.
unspokenanswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #9
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

No, Damo hasn't said he's trying to save the world. he's far too humble. That's my own attribution and although the phrase is admittedly hyperbolic in a literal sense, I do believe it applies.

Not to sound like some cheezy Michael Jack-fan, but I've always believed that whatever each individual does to make a difference regardless of whether they want credit for it is worth celebrating. The only way anything ever changes is if one person has makes the effort. I consider that helping to save the world because "the world" in terms of personal experience is as small or as big as your life makes it. History is filled with countless examples of how the entire world changed (for good or ill) due to a single person.

Yes, Bono does a lot but I wasn't putting it in the context of a competition. Rather, the real point I was making is that Damo doesn't have anything like the kind of money that Bono does, so his selflessness in doing charity work is all the more admirable to me. It's like someone on welfare giving a dollar to a homeless guy.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 AM   #10
gomezxico

Quote:
Not to sound like some cheezy Michael Jack-fan, but I've always believed that whatever each individual does to make a difference regardless of whether they want credit for it is worth celebrating. The only way anything ever changes is if one person has makes the effort. I consider that helping to save the world because "the world" in terms of personal experience is as small or as big as your life makes it. History is filled with countless examples of how the entire world changed (for good or ill) due to a single person.
I concur. I believe the efforts of the individual can and do effect change, I just don't think Damien is singlehandedly attempting to do something that does require the movement of a large group of people. Like I said before, I(you can completely disagree because it is just "I") believe Damien is doing what he can, with whatever status, economic and/or social, he has, as are Bono, you, the guy on welfare, or myself. I could not fathom him attempting to change the world alone.

Then again, he's got Lisa, Vyv, Shane and Tomo to help, so I may be completely wrong