Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 11-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
jpeth
Eskimo Baby

Was anyone else from this forum at canes last night for the show?

it was really a great show! it was quite a jam, well over 2 hours. the cellist -- vivian? -- had to hold a white flag up on her bow after volcano played on for a long jam. too funny.

i was impressed with damiens ability to rock it on many of the tracks. wow. the bandmates are incredible too. they seemed to have fun.

i recorded on minidisc and am importing it into my trusty g4 right now.

from what i have heard so far, it sounds ok. the loud parts sound great, but there is a buzz in the background that is apparent during the quiet parts.

so, does anyone do audio editing that could help this? also, if it turns out, i'll need help with the setlist.

thanks,

tony
jpeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
hmmm
Eskimo Baby

Where were you taping from? I saw some mics on a spare micstand far stage left.
hmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #3
jpeth
Eskimo Baby

those were mine.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
nightingale333
Eskimo Friend

I was at that show last night too - saw your mics too ( I was a few feet away from them, in the front "row" )

To tell you the truth, I was a bit surprised you got away with putting them up - in the past, Damien's sound guy has had a real problem with taping rigs and has made people take them down - I'm glad you got away with with recording though, lol

If you need help with the setlist, IM me - as for audio editing ( and Damien's shows are supposedly a problem concerning this ) you might want to ask someone else on the board that though
Old 11-22-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

i also recorded this show. clarity wise it sounds pretty damn good quiet and loud parts from my quick listen. mics were in a beanie about 10 feet from the left stacks (i saw your mics kinda under the stacks..thought it was a bit odd..anyhow...) i'm glad you didn't get spotted by jonathan. if he had seen your stand he probably would have made you break down or attempted to kick you out of the venue.

for your "buzz" that you mentioned. that will be on all pulls, including mine i believe. it was caused by a "phone" or at least that's what was being told to shane through the IEMs and he was mouthing during delicate i believe it was. there was also some popping and static from the speakers..both of these are examples of sh*t the venue really should have had under control but didn't. it's not your recording though.

ok, so back to my recording. it sounds good from what i can tell, but there are the occassional yackers and drunk screamers that were within my vacinity so i guess you take the good with the bad.

finally, editing wise, damien is always the most annoying person i have to record. the levels are very extreme and it's a pain to try and smooth it out in editing. basically i'd say just tweak things a bit, do a general normalization based on peak level then up the quieter parts individually and try and make them relatively smooth. i'd suggest cool edit or soundforge...you can get them both for free off of kazaa if you don't have them (not that i suggest that...it's illegal ya know ) anything else feel free to reply.Edited by: AllThatLies
AllThatLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:03 PM   #6
hmmm
Eskimo Baby

Yeah I was surprised jpeth didn't get busted either. Though I originally thought some girl was over there taping as I saw her packing up after the show.

I was right in front of those drunk guys all night, god I wanted to turn around and smack the crap out of them. You would think the one guy would shut up when even his own friend turned to him and said he couldn't hear anything now because his eardrum was blown out from his screaming, oh well.
hmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
jpeth
Eskimo Baby

that was my wife. we wanted to smack some drunks too!
Old 11-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #8
mierk
Eskimo Regular

I'm still hoping to find someone to tape on Tuesday here -- I emailed one guy and he said he might, but then I haven't heard back since. Cross your fingers that something can get done![img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #9
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Well damn. Just heard back and still no dice on finding a taper. Anyone wanna come to Arizona Tuesday night?
Old 11-24-2003, 02:42 AM   #10
nightingale333
Eskimo Friend

Lol, I'd love go to the Arizona show but I'll be at something else ( local ) that night - besides, I've been having some strange "issues" with my recorder as of late...

Good luck in finding a taper though! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 02:59 AM   #11
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

since when do you record things? lol and yea, i would think about it but i'm going to see charlotte martin here that night.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:54 AM   #12
mierk
Eskimo Regular

I downloaded a couple of your Charlotte Martin recordings off the etree archive and she's pretty good. Tell her to come to Arizona sometime!
Old 11-24-2003, 04:50 AM   #13
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

she was there with the psychadelic furs a little while ago. mostly she's been on the road with howie day the past few months though. i'm sure she'll make her own rounds soon enough.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #14
volcanoesmeltme
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mierk
Well damn. Just heard back and still no dice on finding a taper. Anyone wanna come to Arizona Tuesday night?

Me!!!! But I'm not a taper, so that doesn't help. [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
volcanoesmeltme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:47 AM   #15
nightingale333
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThatLies
since when do you record things?

( what happened to my post? )

Lol, there's alot of things you don't know about me...[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

I've only tried to record two things so far, and both attempts were unsuccessful...

P.S. On either of the recordings, is that really stupid guy that was yelping/cat-calling during the show very apparent? As funny as he might have seemed, I wanted to shoot him for being so annoying...Edited by: nightingale333
Old 11-25-2003, 03:43 AM   #16
AllThatLies
Eskimo Regular

he was standing one foot in front of me and about 10 feet MAX behind the other tape which will most likely not be released. it will be VERY apparent on both regardless.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #17
Funky Avocado
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm

I was right in front of those drunk guys all night, god I wanted to turn around and smack the crap out of them. You would think the one guy would shut up when even his own friend turned to him and said he couldn't hear anything now because his eardrum was blown out from his screaming, oh well.
Passing the chump something green and awfully dank has a way of quieting the most obnoxious drunk.

Kudos to the guy who got the stand up with no problem. I'm jealous
Funky Avocado is offline   Reply With Quote