Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 11-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #721
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^ So sorry about that. Have you talked to a doctor about it?
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #722
orangejasmine
murraya paniculata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali View Post
for months i've been having really weird mood swings
Oh no! That's unfortunate! Yeah, I'm with bear on this one - maybe pay a doctor a visit. I mean, it's probably affecting your general well-being.

Oh, and on a lighter note - I just noticed your sig, Cali! Tee-hee!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 PM   #723
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali View Post
Hmm, I know that, but I had that only for some days during the last months.
Do you get enough sleep? Are you overworked? Maybe it's your Schilddrüse (thyroid) which's not functioning properly. I hope you'll get better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Tell me about it... I now actively hate professional football due to these kinds of things (ever since the Italy vs. Australia incident). I can't name any other sport where blatant cheating by the big teams is so frequently used against the smaller ones without any repercussions, and of course even the slightest mistake on the small teams' side is severely penalised.
Then you'll probably have one more reason to hate football now, look at this fooking disgrace...:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8370748.stm

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #724
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali
at any particular occasions? Like, could it be something going on in your life, or is it perhaps hormonal?

PS - am loving your bee avi!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #725
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
Then you'll probably have one more reason to hate football now, look at this fooking disgrace...:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8370748.stm
I can't say that I am surprised... I can't blame the fixers... If FIFA fixes matches regularly to get the most profitable tournaments, why should others refrain from such actions?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #726
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
Maybe it's your Schilddrüse (thyroid) which's not functioning properly. I hope you'll get better soon.
my thoughts too. especially, the last one
Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #727
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

cork was flooded in biblical proportions last week, and as a result the university has suspended all lectures until the 30th. so yeah, a week off college, but i had an exam that was supposed to be on the 7th of december, and it's still going to be on the 7th of december despite the fact that we have a week less of term!! what's more, it cuts a week off our christmas holidays!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #728
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

^ re; the floods which cut off water supply
What's getting me down is not being able to take a shower. 3 days and counting *sniff sniff*
Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #729
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^+^^ oh, oh... it´s not good. sorry guys. did it happen because of the rain? we have troubles (even tragic car accidents) in here because of it a few days ago.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #730
orangejasmine
murraya paniculata

Livo, Daniel - oh, so sorry to read that about the floods, hey!

Livo, good luck for that exam on the 7th, love!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #731
orangejasmine
murraya paniculata

Does this irritate anyone else? People that pretend to have a basic comprehension/proficiency in a language and then come across like idiots.

This one housemate of mine; he always tries to greet and converse with me in a language (because he is aware that I am either a fluent speaker and/or have outright said that I only have some sort of rudimentary exposure) that he has actually had no exposure to! It's so annoying!!!! Tee-hee!!!

I don't know. To me, it's just a bit insulting, yeah? I just think that if one has had no exposure whatsoever to a language and one is - on top of that - too lazy or inadequate to look up colloquial greetings/common expressions so that one comes off looking like less of an ass, then you should rather stick to English.

I just get so embarrassed for this individual because I suspect it's an attempt at coming across "more worldly". But to me, it just comes across so ignorant and offensive! Yeah hey, I don't need to do that to him and his native tongue. I don't speak his native tongue. So, guess what? I converse with him in English????

Last edited by orangejasmine; 11-23-2009 at 12:33 PM.
orangejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #732
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

thanks orangejasmine! it's not so bad in my house, we live far enough from the river that we didn't get flooded, and our water hasn't been affected at all (fingers crossed!). it's just a bit crazy here at the moment, it's been a very bad week in ireland for varying degrees, from the trivial stuff like losing the breffmeister from the apprentice and john and edward from the x-factor, to more serious things like losing the football match because of henry's cheat, to very very serious things like a boy in my university who went missing a week and a half ago (whose body they found today) and four girls being killed in a car crash in galway...
Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #733
orangejasmine
murraya paniculata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo View Post
thanks orangejasmine!

Quote:
it's not so bad in my house, we live far enough from the river that we didn't get flooded, and our water hasn't been affected at all (fingers crossed!).
Oh well, that's good to know!

Quote:
[...]to very very serious things like a boy in my university who went missing a week and a half ago (whose body they found today) and four girls being killed in a car crash in galway...
Oh my goodness! That's terrible.

You know, it's so funny that you mention these two incidents. Just the other day, I saw a headline over here about local high school kids who died in a car accident; they were out celebrating the fact that they had written the last of their final-year exams and were speeding!

Yeah, and about a month and a half ago, a university student got gunned down while walking down the street in the early evening!!!! There's been so much speculation surrounding this incident, but the circumstances seem to point to it being gang-related; others say it's about owing money to a drug dealer. Some talk about an altercation at a night club that went too far the previous evening.

Either way, it's always so bizarre when these things happen!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #734
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

Need to vent:

Sooo basically the latter half of my life my biggest dream has been to move to the UK and get an Undergrad degree, and now it's basically crunch time. The application needs to be sent in before January 15th and I'm positively freaking out.

I know noone who's gone through this process as in Sweden it's basically discouraged to want to do something other than the norm, and therefore no help is offered to you, so I'm trying to get everything right and do all I need to do, but I can't be sure I haven't missed something crucial.

And also the system of determining whether or not someone gets accepted in to a university seems so much more arbitrary in the UK, because here you have your grades, and if they're good enough, you get accepted, but in the UK it seems like they judge you much more based on the degree you're seeking, what qualifications you might have for that one etcetera. This is nerve-wracking as all hell for me as I can't make any sort of qualified guess as to whether I stand a chance or not.

And to sum it all up, basically, six years of straight A-studying and longing for something is all of a sudden coming to a point, and if I don't get accepted, I have nothing left. And that's super drastical, and not exactly true, but that's sort of how it feel. I have no plan B, I've wanted nothing else since forever and gaaaaah it's starting to wear on me.

And I'm scared

And thank goodness for the igloo for venting-sessions such as these
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #735
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

isn't there a chance - hypothetically - that if you don't get accepted on your first try you could start studying in sweden and try it again the next semester/year? i mean, there's always a plan b, even if you don't see it yet. think positive - i guess with straight a's it shouldn't be a problem for you to get into any university!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #736
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

thank you guys, i was seen by a doctor and it seems it wasn't my thyroid and i don't have any other symptoms, it's probably just stress

i'm sorry you feel so anxious about your future Emelie, it does suck but you're already a straight A student, so a huge part of the battle. and johanna is right, there's always a plan b

livo, i didn't know that the situation in ireland was that bad. big hugs to you dear and all irish eskimos, i hope everyone's ok
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #737
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelie View Post
Need to vent:

Sooo basically the latter half of my life my biggest dream has been to move to the UK and get an Undergrad degree, and now it's basically crunch time. The application needs to be sent in before January 15th and I'm positively freaking out.

I know noone who's gone through this process as in Sweden it's basically discouraged to want to do something other than the norm, and therefore no help is offered to you, so I'm trying to get everything right and do all I need to do, but I can't be sure I haven't missed something crucial.

And also the system of determining whether or not someone gets accepted in to a university seems so much more arbitrary in the UK, because here you have your grades, and if they're good enough, you get accepted, but in the UK it seems like they judge you much more based on the degree you're seeking, what qualifications you might have for that one etcetera. This is nerve-wracking as all hell for me as I can't make any sort of qualified guess as to whether I stand a chance or not.

And to sum it all up, basically, six years of straight A-studying and longing for something is all of a sudden coming to a point, and if I don't get accepted, I have nothing left. And that's super drastical, and not exactly true, but that's sort of how it feel. I have no plan B, I've wanted nothing else since forever and gaaaaah it's starting to wear on me.

And I'm scared

And thank goodness for the igloo for venting-sessions such as these

oh, crap! i know it might be frightening and, probably, you can´t find a way to chill out by now (i mean, it´s so easy when you´re not the one who wears those shoes), but you should trust in yourself and take the whole thing step-by-step and make the best you can do. it´s all about the attempt, you know. best wishes, sweetie

cali. i´m glad it´s only stress (ok, kind of an irony, but i hope you can get what i mean).
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #738
Rai
Eskimontologist

Getting the news that National Geographic decided to "teach the controversy" that isn't.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #739
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

unfortunately that's not news here. same with the discovery channel and the history channel (a&e)--they even have programs about haunted houses, ufos, 2012 and whether the da vinci code was real or not. the only respectable channels are still the Science Channel and PBS

ps. thank you verenita
Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #740
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Emelie, I still think they'll accept you if your grades are good!!!!!!! Sending ++++++++ vibes!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #741
Rai
Eskimontologist

^I have no issues with UFOs, ghosts or the such. I even enjoy watching cryptozoology programmes, because they are entertaining, despite their stupidity. But publishing an article in a quality magazine giving even the slightest credence to intelligent design as a scientific theory (which it is definitely not) and acting as if there was a legitimate debate about evolution (there is no such thing) is more then stupid, it is evil. Especially for a magazine like National Geographic (there is a huge difference between the magazine and the TV channel), which is supposed to be a serious journal.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #742
Emelie
I drank a lavalamp...

aww you nice people are awesome! And Johanna, you are right, I don't plan on giving up even if I don't get accepted right away, but it just feels like if I don't get it on the first try, what could I really do differently to get me in on the first try.... But I feel a little better now, sometimes you just need some perspective on things!

And Rai ^ I absolutely, wholeheartedly agree with you that this is one of the more messed up things I've heard of in a while. This is not even an issue where I live, so it continues to amaze me that people can see believing as evolution as being the same as believing in creationism, that it's just a theory and not proven in any way...
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #743
orangejasmine
murraya paniculata

Emelie, I completely understand what you're going through!!!! It so reminds me of the nerve-wracking experience my younger sister went through just recently with (a select) number of applications in other countries. Most of her confusion stemmed from the application procedure - when to apply for what. Sometimes, even the deadlines for admission to the university and scholarships were unclear/ambiguous. Or, she was in limbo, waiting for academic officers/international student advisers/masters coordinators to just reply to their bloody email!

(I'll be going through that process within the next 3-6 months as well and, yes, I anticipate it to be quite daunting! )

But I actually wanted to comment on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emelie View Post
Why don't you try to sign up at a forum that is specifically aimed at foreigners (to the UK) that would like to study/reside/work there? I'm sure you'd stumble upon other Swedes! And, if not, it's just a nice platform for connecting with other people who are going through the same confusing process as yourself, yeah. Maybe one or two of your questions could get answered there through the exchange with others!!!!

Yeah hey, I gave my suster the same advise when she was trying to obtain a visa for New Zealand (in the end, she ended up studying in The Netherlands though! But she's loving it. )

Other than that, I'd also say just hound the people at the international student office. Hound them. Email them with your questions - you're certainly within your right; that's their job - and call them up all the way from Sweden as a last resort. (It worked for my sister too! One woman felt very guilty that she decided to place a call from across the globe! )

And yeah, I agree with everyone else - there is always a plan B! Good luck!!!!

And I have so obviously not had much human contact today, hey! Tee-hee!!!! My apologies for the lengthy post.

Last edited by orangejasmine; 11-24-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: I'm so sorry, you guys!!!!!!!!! Lengthy post.
orangejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #744
verenita
... trusty and true ...

it could be cause i´m tired, but suddenly i got this feeling of crying
Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #745
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

awww sometimes crying really helps
Old 11-25-2009, 02:23 AM   #746
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i know. thanks for the hug.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #747
orangejasmine
murraya paniculata

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
it could be cause i´m tired, but suddenly i got this feeling of crying
Come here, you!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #748
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

I am down today because Miss Pink refused to give me an e-hug I sent her via email.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #749
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

I've got a litany of 'em today. Insomnia, having to pee every 5 minutes, charley horses, and crazy hormones - not only have I been irritable lately, but I've been as horny as an 18-year-old boy. And I have a cold.

And - I can't find my "O" CD. It's not in my car where it is supposed to be.

Last edited by bearbait; 11-25-2009 at 12:38 PM.
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #750
Joyful
Eskimama

^ That made me smile. Gotta love pregnancy!
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote