Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 12-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

Default Theatre

I mean, we all share something here - the enthusiasm for Damien's music, his songs and most of the time some other interests as other music, books or films as well.

So I was wondering, is there anyone out there who shares my rapture for theatre? For plays in any form? Anyone else who's fascinated by that? Who loves the art of words and of communication? Of different worlds?

I think as there are so many creative people out there, there has to be someone. Don't you think so? At least one?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

I'm feeling quite lost right now, I miss standing on the stage, I miss so many things right now and feel kind out of place. I can't really share that thing that gave me shelter and strength for such a long time with any of my friends here. I miss it.
That's not the only thing. I just feel like this

I don't know, I should be happy that I finally made my decision to just quit my job and go but it seems so long until Jan and so far away. I know that time will pass quicker that I can think but anyway.

There are so many thoughts in my head but I can't put them into words. I just feel like walking through a tunnel and suddenly there comes water from behind me and I start to run but as I finally come to the exit - completely exhausted I have to discover that it's blocked by a huge rock. So I see and I fell how the water is getting more and more and suddenly it swollowes me and the tunnel starts to swell and to get the shape of a balloon at the exit but still this stupid rock is there and it just doesn't move. It's waiting until more water comes and more and more until it just has to burst. Or maybe the water will stop and get less again, like the pressure and I will see a light at the other end of the tunnel which shines so bright that I have to cover my eyes with my hands and the light will get stronger and stronger and suddenly the rock just turns into ashes and will be blown away by a slight breeze and the exit is open for me. For a new life. And finally I can make the step and see what's out there. A beautiful landscape with a bright sky and small, white clouds. A huge, full picture of untouched nature in front of me. Birds flying around enjoying the freedom and the light breeze, a luscious, yellow sun behind the mellow hills and trees everywhere...

?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

Completely out of place, wasn't it?

Sorry guys
Old 12-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
origami
fitz

i lovvvvve the theatre!!!! but feel abit a novis really. hmmmmmm i have watched a few in my small life time and strive to go more often. i saw a beautiful making of an inspector calls in the summer in birmingham. its been going for years. it opens up on a cobbled london street and its raining!!! it was such an impressive opening. big loud orchestral music with two little children playing in the puddles.....ok i rambled on abit sorry. please tell me who and what u like????

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.*'Starr*¸.·´¯)
origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
origami
fitz

ok ok ok didnt read ur second paragraph........deep.......... but please keep talking

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.*'Starr*¸.·´¯)
origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

Erm, I saw some plays and I read quite a few as well. When I was at school I fell in love with Arthur Schnitzler out of many reasons. I also love Shakespeare - I love his way of writing. I mean, I don't know too many other English-speaking writers yet. This year a colleague borrowed me "Home is where your clothes are", this was performed sometime within the last five years by a hobby theatre group on Cork and this one is just a blast! A great comedy in my eyes!
An other very good play is "Norway Today" where I liked the staging at the Landestheater Vorarlberg. I didn't see too many plays here in Vienna as I think that this is something you should experience with one other person at least. For me it's very important to discuss a production with someone else after watching it, that's just part of the game.
I stood on the stage myself in some hobby theatre groups as well what I really miss. I tried a group for students when I was still at University but that was rather disappointing as they were rather disorganised. I mean, I understand it until a certain point but if it crosses this point it gets exhausting. That's why I didn't ask to take part in an other production any more...
Old 12-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #7
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

I think there just broke a small piece out of this huge rock and the water starts flowing out and starts forming itseld to a beautiful waterfall which starts to feed this wonderful landscape with the live-giving water and everything starts to bloom.

Slowly but surely
Old 12-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

im a big fan of theatre myself and ive acted on alot of big stages

ive done acting professionally for years now and the stage is something that completely draws me in... its an art

film is great and expressive but there is no feeling to do a film

i havent done a play in some time now and i miss it more and more

one of my favourite experiences was travelling with the abbey theatre to the edinburgh theatre festival (definately recommend making the trip)
There were hundreds of plays on simultaniously and my play happened to be one of the big ones... i didnt have a majour role in the play as i was just a kid but being part of something so big was mind blowing

anyways thats my experiences in theatre

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

^ is being modest

i love the theater it's so much more sensual and organic than films... i don't really live in what you would call a cultural mecca but we have community theater and productions done at the local university... my mom loved plays and used to take me all the time when i was a kid so she helped me develop a love for it too. it's performance art in it's truest form in my opinion, incorporating all of the elements of artistic expression at times...

i'm not a very good actor so i've never done anything more than a few plays in school but i have a deep admiration for those who have that talent
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 AM   #10
cneill
eskimo hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetzirah
I just feel like walking through a tunnel and suddenly there comes water from behind me and I start to run but as I finally come to the exit - completely exhausted I have to discover that it's blocked by a huge rock. So I see and I fell how the water is getting more and more and suddenly it swollowes me and the tunnel starts to swell and to get the shape of a balloon at the exit but still this stupid rock is there and it just doesn't move. It's waiting until more water comes and more and more until it just has to burst. Or maybe the water will stop and get less again, like the pressure and I will see a light at the other end of the tunnel which shines so bright that I have to cover my eyes with my hands and the light will get stronger and stronger and suddenly the rock just turns into ashes and will be blown away by a slight breeze and the exit is open for me. For a new life. And finally I can make the step and see what's out there. A beautiful landscape with a bright sky and small, white clouds. A huge, full picture of untouched nature in front of me. Birds flying around enjoying the freedom and the light breeze, a luscious, yellow sun behind the mellow hills and trees everywhere...

?
That sounds like a great video concept for "Cold Water"
photography!: http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=1820624
cneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:29 AM   #11
samuelle
care bear stare!

i've only been onstage once and that was as a last minute stand in for the vagina monologues. my friend was directing and i couldn't say no. i'm really glad i did it, but being on stage is REALLY not my thing.

i do, however, love being behind the scenes. every summer i help with set construction at a local summer theatre and after i get my master's i have a standing invitation to be a dramaturg for a theatre group in chicago. it sounds a lot fancier than it is - it's actually a group of MFA students i know from undergrad... as an english lit person, i love studying plays and researching plays and watching them, but i'll gladly hide out off stage and stick to labor and research and leave the hard work to the talented actors.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 AM   #12
Arpie
Eskimo Regular

Smile

Rapture for theatre and appreciation of words? Oh yes, but of course.

God, that reminds me, I really ought to go to the theatre forthwith at least five times. I haven't seen anything since a magnificent adaptation of Hamlet in the Nottingham Theatre Royal in December 2004 - which, for me, along with a minimalistic and hugely amusing Irish play, Port Authority, seen in Bath in 2001, was certainly a favoured rendering of a script on stage. Hmm, the atmosphere, the crispness with which the lines are delivered, the intimacy, the ice cream...and that's just your typical post restoration theatrical experience...

I used to study for LAMDA exams, too, and was involved in several drama clubs, writing and directing as well as acting. Now I've drifted a little more to the creative writing aspect of the arts. I write lots of poems and am nearing the end of my first adult novel. If I could just get organised I'd send something for publication, just in case...oh well. Soon.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 AM   #13
Jarmuschrules
Eskimo Regular

hi. i dont like saying cos i sound like a knob but i won a comp 4 a play i wrote. It was the third prize one. Cool. Inspired by a name i saw on this forum. Black Canvas.

http://www.kingston-college.ac.uk/about/1115213976.html

Far out
Jarmuschrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:24 AM   #14
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

And where can we read or see this play?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #15
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

As i've said before, i love empty theatres, i dont like the acting, the curtains, the lights, just the dark empty space
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #16
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

^god that was morbid!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

ah, empty theatres got something morbid from time to time. i can fully understand you that you just like empty theatres, as this is a place where i really feel free and myself. it's got something special when it's empty but i love it as well when the curtain opens everyone immerses into an other world
Old 12-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #18
Aisling
Mel is so hot right now

see thats the bit that i dont like, i dont like people watching as i immerse into another world... not to sound crazy.. but im very daydreamy
Old 12-05-2005, 11:17 PM   #19
misty
Malaysian Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetzirah
I just feel like walking through a tunnel and suddenly there comes water from behind me and I start to run but as I finally come to the exit - completely exhausted I have to discover that it's blocked by a huge rock. So I see and I fell how the water is getting more and more and suddenly it swollowes me and the tunnel starts to swell and to get the shape of a balloon at the exit but still this stupid rock is there and it just doesn't move. It's waiting until more water comes and more and more until it just has to burst. Or maybe the water will stop and get less again, like the pressure and I will see a light at the other end of the tunnel which shines so bright that I have to cover my eyes with my hands and the light will get stronger and stronger and suddenly the rock just turns into ashes and will be blown away by a slight breeze and the exit is open for me. For a new life. And finally I can make the step and see what's out there. A beautiful landscape with a bright sky and small, white clouds. A huge, full picture of untouched nature in front of me. Birds flying around enjoying the freedom and the light breeze, a luscious, yellow sun behind the mellow hills and trees everywhere...
Great monologue, hope you'll get it staged someday
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 AM   #20
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

Thx,... erm. I was just writing. I didn't really see it as a monologue. But erm... maybe it will get staged some day? Who knows?

thx
Old 12-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #21
Arpie
Eskimo Regular

I agree, it could be a great monologue in a play or internal monologue in prose. It resembles free indirect discourse; we spend hours and essays analysing such writing at uni and commending it for the skill involved - Virginia Woolf was famous for it. You've got a talent there, Yetz.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #22
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

Wow, thx guys
Erm, has someone else something to read? Doesn't have to be a play or a monologue or so. But I'm really curious what other people are writing. I didn't write too much within the last year, so I can't show too much as the rest is packed somewhere in Austria in a box.
I wrote a dialoge around 2 years ago or so (maybe less) and trasnslated it into English. I think I got it on my laptop which suffers from decrepitude...