Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default LA Show Friday

Just back from the show!!!! and what a show!!!! so mny surprises I don't even know what to tell first... Damien had a lot of jet lag and said he was not that well and he didn't talk much, no stories but still delivered an amazing amazing performance. Highlights:
- a full 12-minute long Acciental babies with the intro plus the KCRW outro with Vyv plus a little extra bit on piano, best Acc babies ever!!!
- Lisa singing some parts of Grey room together with Damien. Best Grey room ever!!
- New song, Is that it my Friend (?????) a full song, 100% finished, with the whole band in and Lisa singing solo the second verse!!
- Damien singing Yoke with a Nacho Libre mask!!!!
- Slow also with the whole band and some Lisa backing vocals
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

setlist
1 delicate
2 woman like a man
3 nine crimes- the Remix version = the XFM radio version
4 me,my yoke and I (sung with Nacho Libre mask on)
5 slow
6 rootless tree
7 cannonball
8 the animals were gone
9 is that it my friend
10 elephant (aborted)
11 the motorway song by Vyv
12 elephant (after Damien explains that he had to stop before because he was falling sleep and had to go and take some sake)
13 Volcano
14 Grey room
15 I remember with a bit of Watchtower
(encore)
16 Lisa solo song (???) first line started with Green Eyes...
17 Accidental babies with full intro and full outro
18 The blower's daughter

Great show!!!!!!!!!!!! What a setlist!!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
rannoush
~Lonelily~

I just came back from the show right now..and I agree it was fantastic!

I loved loved loved the rendition of Volcano that they did tonight..
and i was so happy they did 'I remember'..I was kinda hoping i'd hear 'Cheers Darlin' but well we cant always get everything we want

It was overall such an amazing concert..I'm glad I got to see Damien live..
it was worth every penny..

Side note: the chairs at the Orpheum at the Balcony were so uncomfortable and way too tight
rannoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:23 AM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Just back from the show!!!! and what a show!!!! so mny surprises I don't even know what to tell first... Damien had a lot of jet lag and said he was not that well and he didn't talk much, no stories but still delivered an amazing amazing performance. Highlights:
- a full 12-minute long Acciental babies with the intro plus the KCRW outro with Vyv plus a little extra bit on piano, best Acc babies ever!!!
- Lisa singing some parts of Grey room together with Damien. Best Grey room ever!!
- New song, Is that it my Friend (?????) a full song, 100% finished, with the whole band in and Lisa singing solo the second verse!!
- Damien singing Yoke with a Nacho Libre mask!!!!
- Slow also with the whole band and some Lisa backing vocals
Actually, although it's among the rarest (only been played twice live before this), "Is That it, My Friend?" isn't a new song. It was first played back in 2004 in Madison, WI (Sista was there: it's also the same night where he played "Fear" for the only time-sadly, no tape exists). Glad he's playing it again, I've been dying to hear it but the only other time it was played was this August at one of the 2 Vicar St. gigs and those tapes haven't been released yet either (btw, anybody know this "Anthony" fellow who supposedly recorded both nights?). I've heard that musically it's more upbeat so perhaps he'll record it in January!

BTW, How is "Slow" progressing? Finished yet? Damo admitted to me that it was only half begun when he played it this Summer. So did you recognize the new lyrics from the artwork on "9"?

P.S. Anybody tape tonight?

Last edited by Spamlet; 12-09-2006 at 08:32 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

the show was great. one of the best concerts i've ever seen.

another note- it seemed that lisa forgot the lyrics on her verse on "is that it my friend", and vyv forgot the words to her motorbike song, which brought it to a halt.

I will agree that it was the best accidental babies i've ever heard, and the best grey room i've heard. Me my yoke and I was rocked out... especially with the mexican wrestler mask :-)
other highlights were of course: Is that it my friend? and Lisa's Song "green eyes"?

the opening performance was great. Glen and (what's her name?) were right on. I got to talk to them briefly before Damo went on. They were very nice.
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

In addition to the 3 YouTube Lisa songs here's a description of the ones she played in Dingle last week. Let us know if any of this sounds like it was from the "Green Eyes" song:

Lisa was wearing a long black evening dress and she sang three songs. The last song she actually sang twice because I don't think they were happy with the first recording. I didn't recognise any of the songs she sang and they all seem to be different to the three songs she sang in Sligo up on YouTube. The last song had the lyrics "You can have coffee / splishy, splashy.... Frozen" and one of the other songs had the lyrics "Baby, you can die.. Baby, you can lie" and another lyric was "Love can be unbroken / Love can be unspoken". She is so modest on stage, the audience loved the songs but she seemed surprised by the reaction.

BTW, Sounds like there was no Rhoades organ there. Does that mean he played "Slow" on Piano? I'd definitely love to hear how that would sound...!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
In addition to the 3 YouTube Lisa songs here's a description of the ones she played in Dingle last week. Let us know if any of this sounds like it was from the "Green Eyes" song:

Lisa was wearing a long black evening dress and she sang three songs. The last song she actually sang twice because I don't think they were happy with the first recording. I didn't recognise any of the songs she sang and they all seem to be different to the three songs she sang in Sligo up on YouTube. The last song had the lyrics "You can have coffee / splishy, splashy.... Frozen" and one of the other songs had the lyrics "Baby, you can die.. Baby, you can lie" and another lyric was "Love can be unbroken / Love can be unspoken". She is so modest on stage, the audience loved the songs but she seemed surprised by the reaction.

BTW, Sounds like there was no Rhoades organ there. Does that mean he played "Slow" on Piano? I'd definitely love to hear how that would sound...!
i don't remember hearing those lyrics in lisa's song... but i might be wrong. "Slow" was played at the Piano, and it felt almost like an intro the rootless tree... it wasn't very long. I just don't think it's developed into a full length song. It did have those lyrics that are printed in the 9 artwork, and a few more.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
Can't hear in any mention of green eyes in that Splishy Splashy song so it might be one of the others. Lisa needs to release something soon!
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
setlist
12 elephant (after Damien explains that he had to stop before because he was falling sleep and had to go and take some sake)

jet lag sucks! sleep well damien!

thanks for sharing, glad you had fun!

Last edited by SilentNight; 12-09-2006 at 03:08 PM.
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
kiddcode
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
setlist
1 delicate
2 woman like a man
3 nine crimes- the Remix version = the XFM radio version
4 me,my yoke and I (sung with Nacho Libre mask on)
5 slow
6 rootless tree
7 cannonball
8 the animals were gone
9 is that it my friend
10 elephant (aborted)
11 the motorway song by Vyv
13 Volcano
14 Grey room
15 I remember with a bit of Watchtower
(encore)
16 Lisa solo song (???) first line started with Green Eyes...
17 Accidental babies with full intro and full outro
18 The blower's daughter

I really enjoyed the show, but Damien seemed a little off. The show opened really well. Delicate was great. He played it more like the album version (no Lisa - not that I don't love her voice). Woman Like A Man was amazing, and in my opinion, was the high point of the night. It was just pulsing with energy.

One thing that was really ridiculous was some of the things people in the audience were shouting. I felt second-hand embarrassment just listening to these people. One girl shouted, "Go on and be your bad self" and he took out his monitor headphones and asked her to repeat it. I think she was embarrassed and I think someone else ended up yelling it out again for her. He just had this puzzled look on his face after hearing that, and I can't say that I blame him.

Me My Yoke and I was crazy. I really liked it. It was a little creepy to see him with the Mexican wrestling mask on, but then again, it's just that kind of song.

I've seen them four times now, and although they performed *very* well, it just seemed like Damien just wasn't quite his usual self last night. He said he was feeling jetlagged and made a comment about falling asleep standing up like a horse so maybe that was it. But it came right after the "bad self" comment, so maybe it was that too. Who knows?

Great show.
kiddcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

does anyone know what the swell season played or how long
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #12
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Quick review...

The show started with everyone singing Happy Birthday after Glenn told before that it was Damien's b'day. Delicate (nice), Womn like a man (very heavy), then the first surprise of the night... 9 Crimes with D on guitar, it was the upbeat version they did on the XFM radio in London. Nice one, very diff from the album version.

Then he corrected people about his b'dy, said it had been Thu, and showed us his present from Glenn which was this lucha libe mask. He said he needed his electric guitar for this one so he grabbed it, ut the mask on, which was a full-head pink'n'yellow mask and start rocking like AC/DC then he said that that present really made him fel young...

Then he went for the piano for Slow, which was short nd I think it was not the full song. The lyrics about the dog and the part about Sh ****ed Off to France were there, but not the rest of new lyrics from the booklet. It was more like an Intro to Rootless tree but I think the song has progressed since it had some cello parts nd Lisa did backing vocals, and it had drums too...

Rootless tree next. Great as usual, looooved it. Then Cannoball with Lisa on guitar, nice. She also played guitar for the next one, The Animals which was great too, best version ever!!! Lisa sang fully with Damien the chorus and the effect was great!!!!! Tht's how the album version should be!!

Then the Is that it my friend which I loooooved. It's a quiet song, not as slow as Cheers or Slow, something between Cheers and Prague. Lisa sang the second verse alone, she started the first line a bit shaky, then she forgot some words and went all mmmmmm Great song. The lyrics lso mentioned the desert and the chorus was I long... I long...

Then this woman yelled the keep being your bad self, which pissed Damien off compltely I think. He started Elephnt, but stopped after 1 minute and rushed off the stage... He said sthing like I'm lucky i'm touring with a band in moments like this...

Vyv said they've ben doing lots of covers with Lisa recently but she also has one original and she wnt into the Motorway song which was incredible, she was singing and playing with the cello, but jus with her fingers, Lisa was at the piano, singing but very softly... She forgot some lyrics too and was coming around and trying again but no luck and in the end Lisa whispered them to her... the song got a great aundience reaction, especially after the lines about cocaine and pot...

Damien came back after that, Vyv joking that he never listens to her songs. He mentioned that he had a hell of a jet lag and that although he was standing like a horse full of energy suddenly he was falling asleep so he had to stop and get some sake!!!!

Despite that, the rest of the show was mind-blowing!!!best ever... biased maybe because he playing my 6 fav songs in a row!!!! Starting with Elephnt, an amazing amazing Volcano, this song rocks, then he started playing the first notes of Dogs but changed his mind and went for Grey Room. Wow!!!!!! Best version ever, damn it, why they didn't record it lik that... so D started and then Lisa joined in the Desole part singing fully like duet, then D went back solo and Lisa joined him again for the grape part. Beyond words!!!!!! They ended with I Remember, classic!!!! People looooved Lisa's part, great reaction. The rest was very powerful, with the Watchtower bit and ending in a weird way. Damien recorded some vocals with the pedal and left stage, then Lisa also left and then Vyv moved to the piano and the 3 of them left kept playing for a while with Damien's voice recorded on the background. In the end they all left but you still could hear the pre-recorded but til a technitian came to stop it...

Lisa's song must be a newie. Don't think it's any of the ones mentioned above...It was sooooo haunting....

Then, as mentioned before, best Acc babies ever. Long 5 min intro, which I think it was compltely new and diff too, thn the usual Damien part, very very very sad and beautiful and haunting and magic, then the KCRW outro with that cello part and the piano going together. This must be the best 5 minutes of music ever written!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vyv stopped and Damien went on for a bit like at the KCRW but then a little bit more with some notes very very high, at the very end of th piano, playing a bit... I'd say in total it must have been 12-15 min long!!!!

And to finish it all, an amazing The Blower's Daughter, really really beautiful!!

Can't wait for tonight!!!! I guess tonite we'll get diff songs, prob Dogs, Coconuts, Cold water, Tofee pop and The Professor!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Didactic Destiny Scemer
Eskimo Misdemeanor

Did anyone else notice the little extra word in "I Remember"?
"Come all ye lost. Dive into KATE Moss."
No joke. I was laughing soooo hard!
Didactic Destiny Scemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #14
MsChameleon
An Eskimo in California

I thought I heard him say "Kate Moss".
MsChameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChameleon
I thought I heard him say "Kate Moss".
he did. either that or he said "cave moss".
Old 12-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #16
tealranaway
Eskimo Baby

can anyone please tell me what time damien came on? and was the opener any good? i'm going tonight and very excited!
tealranaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #17
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealranaway
can anyone please tell me what time damien came on? and was the opener any good? i'm going tonight and very excited!
i didn't pay attention to what time damien went on. It really doesn't matter though... plan to be there at 8. The opener was great. Swell season was brilliant.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
EskiMike
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
does anyone know what the swell season played or how long
From the album, they played This Low, Sleeping?, Falling Slowly, Drown Out, and Leave.

Marketa also sang a song that I'm not familiar with, and they ended with Star, Star, which isn't on the Swell Season album. It was a GREAT set.
EskiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #19
SpaceCadet
Eskimo Baby

Yeah, the show was great. I loved the acoustics in the theatre. The lucha libre mask was classic. I think I saw them for sale at the shop right outside the Orpheum.

Did anyone record the show?
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #20
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

i think the show didn't start til 9.10-9.15...
Old 12-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #21
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I was meaning that Damen didn't start til 9.10, I think Glenn & Marketa started at 8.15. I think they did the exact setlist as Oakland, even the same jokes and song introductions...

And yep, he sang Dive into Kate Moss in I Remember, forgot that one...

What sucked was that there were sooooooooo many empty seats in the front rows, these were the tickets that never went on sale on Ticketmaster and I guess they were given away for free at radio shows etc, and then half of the people doesn't show up... A few people moved and took these seats, my whole row shifted to the center and I end up with a perfect view since seats 18-20 in half the first rows were empty... so if today you're in a crappy place, check for better empty seats
Old 12-10-2006, 01:21 AM   #22
stargift
Eskimo Friend

The mask
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yp4gpb
stargift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 AM   #23
stargift
Eskimo Friend

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bx81cf
Delicate

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8dnbfh
9 Crimes

http://www.sendspace.com/file/iw4x3k
Me, my yoke and I

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eviauv
Slow
A cheapo cheapo production

Last edited by stargift; 12-12-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:36 AM   #24
stargift
Eskimo Friend

More of "I hope somebody has a better recording stuff".

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2mez8h
Cannonball Orpheum LA Dec. 08, 2006

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jj8r51
The Animals Were Gone

Last edited by stargift; 12-12-2006 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:43 AM   #25
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Default Rawkin'!

Old 12-10-2006, 04:45 AM   #26
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

SG,

Thanks! Can you post the "Is that it, my friend?" link next please?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:18 AM   #27
stargift
Eskimo Friend

http://www.sendspace.com/file/njs6ca
Is That It My Friend?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zgkfhd
The return of the mask.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tc0fx2
Elephant

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zmd3qq
Volcano

Last edited by stargift; 12-12-2006 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:50 AM   #28
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

i posted a blog about the show last night:
http://brycewilson.blogspot.com

and there's also a blog about the el rey show if you scroll down a bit
Old 12-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #29
EskimoNo9
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rannoush
I was kinda hoping i'd hear 'Cheers Darlin' but well we cant always get everything we want

Side note: the chairs at the Orpheum at the Balcony were so uncomfortable and way too tight
You know, I was never really too fond of "Cheers Darlin'." I don't think I ever really gave it a good chance. But after I saw the show (Dec9), Cheers has so much more to it now. I like it.

The Orpheum does need bigger seating. The leg room was horrid. I had to sit a little side-ways. But I do have to admit that the place was just soo elegant. Fancy and nice. Too bad I couldn't have a drink. I'm too young :P
EskimoNo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #30
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Thanks so much, SG!

I've just realized that this "Green Eyes" song of Lisa's may be the one she sang at Hiro after Vyv's "Random Man". If you can post that one too I should know right away whether that's true or not.

Also pretty anxious to hear these "best ever" versions of AB and GR.

You rule for doing this!