Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #151
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

mario_d brings a tear to my eye lol..............I think he gets a tough break by some because he tells it like he sees it and is passionate when doing so - and because he isn't afraid to step on toes

sounds vaguely familiar lol

I would say old t-lloyd had a bit of pent up demand after 6-7 years and agree he comes off kinda annoying............plus both of you are forgetting the 15 days to barcelona farce when he also promised a "cd" out of that experience..........

anyway I have DG pre-sales to attend to so carry on
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #152
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
plus both of you are forgetting the 15 days to barcelona farce when he also promised a "cd" out of that experience..........
I didn't forget, thats what I referred to when I asked if Lloyd's "bands" also post their new music on youtube and then pretend it never happened.
mario_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #153
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

gotcha......
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #154
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Hahaha! Wow. Pretty much exactly the response I was expecting from you Mario_d. Ive said my piece and will not spend any more time argueing with you because our mind frames are obviously very different. You seem to have a very bitter frame of mind in which you feel like an artist must explain everytime they go back on something they said; I on the other hand don't have any expectations and just enjoy it when the music does come out.

I started writing responses to your points but figured that there was no point as this would just go on and on and on. So I'm just gunna leave it as is and go enjoy the light; hopefully soon you can get out and realise that life is more enjoyable without the bitter feelings you are portraying towards musicians!

Enjoy
T-Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #155
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Glen Hansard has a new 'solo' album due out this spring.....This is his 3rd (including swell season) since 'the cost' released same time as 9...lol

if anyone cares here's a link to the songs, many on youtube already

http://2010.theframes.ie/
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #156
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ thanks for the info his only irish gig so far is in electric picnic. i hope he adds more dates
Old 04-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #157
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
Glen Hansard has a new 'solo' album due out this spring.....This is his 3rd (including swell season) since 'the cost' released same time as 9...lol

Awesome, thanks for sharing! He's such a talented songwriter, can't wait to hear some more of his goodness!!! I still crank the swell seasons "Once" soundtrack at least once month; it's amazing! Cheers
Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #158
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lloyd View Post
So I'm just gunna leave it as is and go enjoy the light; hopefully soon you can get out and realise that life is more enjoyable without the bitter feelings you are portraying towards musicians!
Sort of like women who will explain that the love outweighs the beatings they take in an abusive relationship?

That's cool, but I'll continue not to accept Damien treating me with a lack of respect.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 AM   #159
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Sort of like women who will explain that the love outweighs the beatings they take in an abusive relationship?

That's cool, but I'll continue not to accept Damien treating me with a lack of respect.
Wow! Comparing Spousal and domestic physical abuse to Damien Rice's lack of communication to his fans....your mind amazes me. Cheer up buddy, there's too much good in the world to get angry about a musician not telling you when he changes his mind.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #160
cille
creepycute

T-Lloyd - thanks for bringing good sense and perspective back to this thread!

Shouting contests are boring.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #161
Rai
Eskimontologist

^I think they are a hoot and a half if you look at them the right way

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #162
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Wow! Comparing Spousal and domestic physical abuse to Damien Rice's lack of communication to his fans....your mind amazes me. Cheer up buddy, there's too much good in the world to get angry about a musician not telling you when he changes his mind.
Treating people with a lack of respect is morally wrong, whether it be physical or emotional abuse.

And Damien's lack of respect goes well beyond the lying and fame whoring. His refusal to sign autographs is probably the top of the list.

Last edited by mario_d; 04-05-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #163
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_d View Post
Treating people with a lack of respect is morally wrong, whether it be physical or emotional abuse.

And Damien's lack of respect goes well beyond the lying and fame whoring. His refusal to sign autographs is probably the top of the list.
You seem to be putting in way too much energy and time into these negative thoughts about Damien Rice man. It's simple, if you think he's an asshole then listen to someone else and spend time on the forums of artists you do like. Otherwise you are just fueling the fire. Simple agression towards an artist is what happend with Mark David Chapman....and we all know how that spiralled out of control (i'm not saying you have those tendencies, i'm just saying things can get out of hand when people dwell on things too much). Instead of getting angry, just let go and move on man!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #164
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
^I think they are a hoot and a half if you look at them the right way
Agreed eh! I love a good debate with open minded people....but sometimes it just doesn't go anywhere; there should be progress in a debate and not just stagnant yelling hahaha.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #165
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
You seem to be putting in way too much energy and time into these negative thoughts about Damien Rice man. It's simple, if you think he's an asshole then listen to someone else and spend time on the forums of artists you do like. Otherwise you are just fueling the fire. Simple agression towards an artist is what happend with Mark David Chapman....and we all know how that spiralled out of control (i'm not saying you have those tendencies, i'm just saying things can get out of hand when people dwell on things too much). Instead of getting angry, just let go and move on man!

Or, you know, Damien could stop being an asshole? That seems to me to be the more reasonable option.

Maybe, I don't know.... DON'T distribute post cards saying "New Album Spring 2012" and then immediately deny any knowledge of said postcards?
Old 04-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #166
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Agreed eh! I love a good debate with open minded people....but sometimes it just doesn't go anywhere; there should be progress in a debate and not just stagnant yelling hahaha.
yeah but somehow I think you are missing a bit of the point

still coming across as semi douche as they say on the radiohead board

apologies to those offended
Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #167
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post

love you bro!

and appreciate the love over the years...............it is partially for this reason I am sticking up for the dude that shared the crazy wamu gig with me

something i doubt our new found advocate has any idea about............or mario's input over the years
Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #168
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
yeah but somehow I think you are missing a bit of the point

still coming across as semi douche as they say on the radiohead board

apologies to those offended
Semi douche? Wow, sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention; I just simply added my two cents and then tried moving on from the arguement. Maybe you think im a douche for disagreeing with your mate Mario_d....but I would've thought we were adult enough to voice our opinions on here without any name calling, hard feelings or insults? Ah well, ya can't please them all.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #169
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Semi douche? Wow, sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention; I just simply added my two cents and then tried moving on from the arguement. Maybe you think im a douche for disagreeing with your mate Mario_d....but I would've thought we were adult enough to voice our opinions on here without any name calling, hard feelings or insults? Ah well, ya can't please them all.
first of all mario isn't my mate mate - he is simply someone who has been around this board for many years contributing - helping with tapes etc etc etc - of course you know that right since you have been watching the board for the last 6-7 years before you finally got up the gusto to actually mutter a word right????!!

it is your tone.............go take a look

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 04-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #170
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

on refusing to sign autographs...

what the heck is an autograph? it's black rubber on paper. it's plastic. it's nothing.. it's idolizing constructs driven to perversity. it's raising someone to a fixed posture, a sculpture, to something not alive. like postcards sent from a future that will never exist. i refused to sign albums i sold at concerts for that very reason (and i'm not even famous) and people always got the idea when i explained. instead we shared a hug. or a conversation. or a song at the parking lot. something that doesn't last. something to handle with care. something real.

to give the most honest performance you could possibly give. to wake up after a song to say "oh no, not again! where am i this time?". that's what it's all about. and autographs... they're just prey for hunters using electronic aiming apparatuses with infra-red echoing devices. but we shiver. in the dark. and let go.
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #171
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

??

interesting thought and to our new found vocal member's point to each their own

all I would add is that david gray absolutely makes a point of hanging out with those fans silly enough to wait by the back door for autographs and photos........and while we have never done that I will say that the sheer joy of so many of those that caught a photo and a signed whatever is always a great thing to read about........and continues to impress me that even while dealing with all the crap of being on the road and giving of himself 120% during each and every gig he performs he still has the patience and respect of his fans to take the time to do that

to me that is much more impactful than some obscure higher ground but again whatever floats your boat
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 AM
davidcotyalex
This message has been deleted by davidcotyalex. Reason: double post
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #172
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

in the interest of brevity two of the greatest lines so far from this thread..........!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
creepy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
"Well, yes, we did the Barcelona roadtrip, had a great time but the songs were utter crap, really, worse than Nickleback. We were too busy smoking weed and having crazy monkey sex. Maybe next time it'll work out."
Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #173
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Island View Post
on refusing to sign autographs...

what the heck is an autograph? it's black rubber on paper. it's plastic. it's nothing.. it's idolizing constructs driven to perversity. it's raising someone to a fixed posture, a sculpture, to something not alive. like postcards sent from a future that will never exist. i refused to sign albums i sold at concerts for that very reason (and i'm not even famous) and people always got the idea when i explained. instead we shared a hug. or a conversation. or a song at the parking lot. something that doesn't last. something to handle with care. something real.

to give the most honest performance you could possibly give. to wake up after a song to say "oh no, not again! where am i this time?". that's what it's all about. and autographs... they're just prey for hunters using electronic aiming apparatuses with infra-red echoing devices. but we shiver. in the dark. and let go.
Yeah agreed, well said! I have never really understood autographs, I mean don't get me wrong, if you ask for an autograph and the artist says "no" well then that kinda sucks, but I have never understood the point of asking in the first place eh, I would much rather share a yarn with the artist. You nailed it with calling it "Something real"; that's what an autograph to me isn't. But each to their own eh.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #174
T-Lloyd
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
??

interesting thought and to our new found vocal member's point to each their own

all I would add is that david gray absolutely makes a point of hanging out with those fans silly enough to wait by the back door for autographs and photos........and while we have never done that I will say that the sheer joy of so many of those that caught a photo and a signed whatever is always a great thing to read about........and continues to impress me that even while dealing with all the crap of being on the road and giving of himself 120% during each and every gig he performs he still has the patience and respect of his fans to take the time to do that

to me that is much more impactful than some obscure higher ground but again whatever floats your boat
Yeah mate, completely, that's awesome that David Gray does that and its great that these little things that he does can please his fans and form a great bond between artist and fans. It's awesome...but I guess not everyone has the kind heart or patience that David Gray has....so even though it would be awesome if every artist did that, but I can completely understand the artists that don't have that patience. I guess it's not their job to care; but it does help if they do and it does warm your heart when you hear that they do; but yeah, I can understand why some artists don't. Shot

Last edited by T-Lloyd; 04-07-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #175
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

on the autographs, Damo doesn't sign things/take pics but does other things to compensate... he will sit with you and talk for half an hour + he gives hugs... better a "real hug" than a signature in a piece of paper
Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #176
mario_d
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
on the autographs, Damo doesn't sign things/take pics but does other things to compensate... he will sit with you and talk for half an hour + he gives hugs... better a "real hug" than a signature in a piece of paper

I don't collect stamps but its not very respectful to tell someone else they shouldn't collect stamps.

Damien signed autographs up until 2005, then suddenly he was too good for autographs. Other members of the band would sign autographs right next to him, and then damien would refuse. Some people enjoy having tour posters or albums signed by the whole band. It means something more to them than a ****ing hug.

I often spoke to Jonathon after shows, and I've seen it play out multiple times. I've seen people ask Damien for an autograph and when he was a dick about it, Lisa would jump in and sign stuff and then grab Tomo or Vyv to also sign. In an effort to make the fan feel better after Damien was rude to them.

Lack. of. respect.

Last edited by mario_d; 04-07-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #177
cille
creepycute

Oh f*ck off, why do you even care to discuss an artist you despise so much? Seriously. Chill, man.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #178
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

As usual Cille and I don't quite see eye to eye - but I at least have a healthy respect as that is what makes the world turn round.

My guess is that Mario in the day loved the man and it is Damien's more recent conduct since going off the grid if you will that has caused his despair. I still admire how he continues to come out swinging. A little negative - maybe - but at least he is expressing himself as he sees it.

I am still struggling with Oliver's notion of rubber on paper.............I don't know why an autograph is any less real than a hug - it is all false pretense anyway - but I sure as hell love seeing this in my office every day rather than some distant notion of an embrace five years ago

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 04-07-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #179
cille
creepycute

Edit: ok, i just had enough and wrote too much in a discussion i never cared for to begin with. Unsubscribing now from this thread before it drives me right mad.

Last edited by cille; 04-07-2012 at 10:12 PM.
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #180
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

nice