Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 10-21-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
NaturalMystic
Eskimo Friend

Default Invisible Children

I figured this might intrest some of you. I won't say much about it. Take a look at the trailer and teaser and let them speak for themselves. I'm ordering my kit. I hope some of you do the same.

www.invisiblechildren.com
NaturalMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #2
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i watched the teaser and trailer and also the video on fundraising ideas and was moved to tears... this is an amazing approach to incite action against a heinous problem that goes in so many parts of the world... it gave me hope that young people are taking action and demanding the world's attention to this problem in such a creative grassroots way...

it reminded me of the twin child soldiers from burma (where damien visited last summer to raise awareness about the situation there) johnny and luther htoo of the gods army. they got a lot of press a few years back because of their supposed mythical powers and their success in mounting resistance against the burmese army but i was always struck by how frail and vulnerable they looked... in my opinion they were just little boys used as pawns in one of the most disgusting ways a child can be exploited - abducting them from their families, sending them to fight corrupt wars, robbing them of their childhood and their innocence and indoctrinating them into a life of brutality... it's mind-boggling that this goes on but even more astounding that it gets so little global attention...

i searched a bit and this kind of explains the content of the film a little more:

When night falls in Northern Uganda something unbelievable happens: thousands of children cluster together in basements, back alleys and “verandas.” Each night the youngsters flee the brutal recruitment tactics of the elusive Lord’s Resistance Army, rebels who routinely beat and brainwash children into fighting their 18-year crusade against the government in Kampala.

“Invisible Children” is the story of three American friends who set out to capture insights into the Sudan genocide and unwittingly find their way into the cramped hallways and crowded auditoriums of northern Ugandan towns.

The film-makers are three twenty-something young men from Southern California who decided to use their talents to change the world. "The children of Northern Uganda are being killed and brutalized, and the fascinating thing to us is that no one is telling this story," said Jason Russell (26), the guiding force behind "Invisible Children.” “This tragedy gets no international attention at all. We are going to change that" said Russell in a recent interview with the San Diego Union Tribune.

Russell and fellow filmmakers Bobby Bailey (22) and Laren Poole (21) are out to raise awareness and money at screenings across the country. They are seeking support for their return trip to Uganda where they and a volunteer team of young people will shoot footage to complete the film in time for a 2006 theatrical release. While in Uganda they will also build relationships necessary to carry out their dream: construction of a safe community where orphans and children can learn and grow in peace.

this is an absolutely amazing campaign to raise awareness about this issue and i'm in awe and have a deep respect for the young men who put this together...they show how anyone can make a difference - a 17 year old girl named emily baked cookies, held a house party and a screening that raised $4000! everyone should look at this site it gives you hope for the impact that one person can have and what to do to hep

i looked at amnesty international to see what they had to say about the issue

http://www.amnestyusa.org/child_soldiers/index.do

this page focuses on the children of uganda, rwanda and the congo who have been abducted and forced into the military (with the sanction of their ruling governments!) and i'm glad it's on their list of issues to be dealt with, but their approach seems dry and riddled with bureaucratic delays. it seems to me that something like the "invisible children" campaign may have more of a dynamic and immediate impact if people took notice...

thank you for bringing this to our attention naturalmystic, i'm definitely inspired to take action because of your link and instead of feeling hopeless about a situation this made me feel like it's possible to make a difference...

sorry if i got a little long-winded but this really hit me hard and i hope it has the same effect on others too. we all know these atrocities go on but heres a simple way to do something to change it
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
NaturalMystic
Eskimo Friend

Thank you for the added information sister hope a few other people have taken and will take a look at it.
NaturalMystic is offline   Reply With Quote