Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 06-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children
Default one quick question from a silly american

ok, well i was listening to the song "rootless tree" and i love that song so much! however, here in the states we don't yous the word blood or bleed like other countries do. i've got a general idea of what it means when damien rice is saying "bleed it, bleed it, bleed it" I was hoping that someone could help me with a better understanding of this phrase.

i may feel really stupid and realize that he ment bleed cutting something open and having blood come out, but i feel like it has a meaning that i've yet to grasp. so if anyone could be kind enough to either tell me the correct meaning or make me feel like a fool for looking into it too hard i appreciate it! take care!

peace.
carvinC980t_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Damn you stinking americans!!!
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Location: noblesville indiana, aka people with too much money producing ignorant children

yes, i know. damn me. i'd prefer living in germany close to poland/baltic sea portion. my fav. place for some reason. damn americans we're all just fat pos

Last edited by carvinC980t_kid; 06-12-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
Niko
Eskimo Regular

I'm pretty sure the lyric is just about blood-out-of-veins-style bleeding, possibly in the sense of purging something. I'm from England and am not aware of another meaning of bleeding other than...well, bleeding...
Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinC980t_kid
we're all just fat pos
whats a 'pos'?

well im from ireland and it looks like we use the word the same way as you carvin.

we use the word bleed when we wish to describe the 'loss, emittance or removal, of blood' as in...

'oh no! i cut my arm off with a steak knife...and now my arm will emit blood from the newly opened outlet and i will bleed...all over the new white carpet and my mother will be very cross with me now...oh gosh...i hope i'm not grounded'

however many youths from 'north county dublin' (like myself) would frequently use the term 'bleedin' masive' (unlike myself) to describe an event or object which is seen to be of high assthetic and/or financial value or worth as in…

'ah jaysus asho, thats a bleedin massive carpet, that is... did ya get that out of murphys skip, did ya? real wool from county meath is it? very nice..'

the word 'bloody' (or bleedin') is used on a daily bases by many 'jackines', 'culties' and 'townies' alike nation wide, as a slang description for an inconvience and to display utter outrage...as in...

'ya f*cking eejit ya! what arev ya? yer bloody well bleedin all over the bloody bleedin massive carpet....its all f*ckin bloody now...ya amadon...what are ya? i need a drink and a cuppa tea...now where did i put my bloody bleedin massive leprechaun hat?'

hope that was useful...in case by chance it wasn’t, I could give ya my own personal interpretation of the line and song...tho that means really going out on a limb and turning something abstract into something concrete..

i think the song is about an after math of a messy break up.
he is just trying to get on with it…but she wont let him…she is bitter and being nasty in some way to him when he is around

“And do you hate me, hate me, hate me, hate me so much
That you can't let me out, let me out, let me out
Of hell when you're around”

it would be that the Ricer is being sarcastic and bitter...again...he is pointing out to the subject matter of the song, that they are bleeding the situation for all its worth...as in they are squeezing out every last drop of use and leaving it dry...probably for their own personal gain...he might have realized they have little compassion for others
“I said bleed it, bleed it, bleed it
There's nothing in you” (compassion??)

basically I think the girl doesn’t want…in anyway...to resolve the situation gracefully…she’d rather hate him then get on with it…but I have absolutely nothing to base this flawed interpretation on…

good question tho…and you are right…sometimes the overall ‘feeling’ of the song is far more important then the individual lines…

so to answer your question briefly…I don’t know either…why don’t ya ask him next time ya get the chance??
im not god - no - im not god.i may love you,but I'm not god -
hbhdaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
we're all just fat pos
whats a 'pos'?

well im from ireland and it looks like we use the word the same way as you carvin.

we use the word bleed when we wish to describe the 'loss, emittance or removal, of blood' as in...

'oh no! i cut my arm off with a steak knife...and now my arm will emit blood from the newly opened outlet and i will bleed...all over the new white carpet and my mother will be very cross with me now...oh gosh...i hope i'm not grounded'

however many youths from 'north county dublin' (like myself) would frequently use the term 'bleedin' masive' (unlike myself) to describe an event or object which is seen to be of high assthetic and/or financial value or worth as in…

'ah jaysus asho, thats a bleedin massive carpet, that is... did ya get that out of murphys skip, did ya? real wool from county meath is it? very nice..'

the word 'bloody' (or bleedin') is used on a daily bases by many 'jackines', 'culties' and 'townies' alike nation wide, as a slang description for an inconvience and to display utter outrage...as in...

'ya f*cking eejit ya! what arev ya? yer bloody well bleedin all over the bloody bleedin massive carpet....its all f*ckin bloody now...ya amadon...what are ya? i need a drink and a cuppa tea...now where did i put my bloody bleedin massive leprechaun hat?'

hope that was useful...in case by chance it wasn’t, I could give ya my own personal interpretation of the line and song...tho that means really going out on a limb and turning something abstract into something concrete..

i think the song is about an after math of a messy break up.
he is just trying to get on with it…but she wont let him…she is bitter and being nasty in some way to him when he is around

“And do you hate me, hate me, hate me, hate me so much
That you can't let me out, let me out, let me out
Of hell when you're around”

it would be that the Ricer is being sarcastic and bitter...again...he is pointing out to the subject matter of the song, that they are bleeding the situation for all its worth...as in they are squeezing out every last drop of use and leaving it dry...probably for their own personal gain...he might have realized they have little compassion for others
“I said bleed it, bleed it, bleed it
There's nothing in you” (compassion??)

basically I think the girl doesn’t want…in anyway...to resolve the situation gracefully…she’d rather hate him then get on with it…perhaps she has been spreadin roomers (What I want from this/Is to learn to let go/No not of you
Of all that's been told/Killers re-invent and believe)
but I have absolutely nothing to base this flawed interpretation on…

good question tho…and you are right…sometimes the overall ‘feeling’ of the song is far more important then the individual lines…

so to answer your question briefly…I don’t know either…why don’t ya ask him next time ya get the chance??
Old 06-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

sorry POS means "peice of sh*t"

well, i guess i looked to far into it thinking bleed was a form kind of like "bloddy hell" but oh well. thanks for the help guys!!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

sorry POS means "peice of sh*t" i said that cause american is full of fat people lol

well, i guess i looked to far into it thinking bleed was a form kind of like "bloody hell" but oh well. thanks for the help guys!!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Bryan
Shamefully Undeveloped

"however many youths from 'north county dublin' (like myself) would frequently use the term 'bleedin' masive' (unlike myself) to describe an event or object which is seen to be of high assthetic and/or financial value or worth as in…

'ah jaysus asho, thats a bleedin massive carpet, that is... did ya get that out of murphys skip, did ya? real wool from county meath is it? very nice..' "

You've given me a laugh there for a dreary afternoon here in Ballyer', cheerio . . .
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #10
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhdaem
??
whats with all the carpets and tea? jaysus and you have to bring up the feckin leprechauns.. i mean more stereotyping ensues
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 PM   #11
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

First the Americans in Germany start with all this 'pos' lark and now the lads from the furthest corner of Ireland start with 'ensues'...what’s all this 'ensues' business. Is it Shakespeare or what?...I was always told yes speak a different form of English way up there in Donegal...this just proves it...

Last edited by hbhdaem; 06-13-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:37 AM   #12
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
yes, i know. damn me. i'd prefer living in germany close to poland/baltic sea portion. my fav. place for some reason. damn americans we're all just fat pos
Um, I guess you didn't get my joke.

<== Wisconsin
Old 06-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
first the amreicans in germany start with all this 'pos' lark and now the lads from the furtherest cornor of ireland start with 'ensues'...whats all this 'ensues' business..is it shakespeare or wha?...i was always told yes speak a different form of english way up there in donegal...this just proves it...
well i like the "amreicans"

and im guessing "furtherest" would get no points in scrabble.

go build a hole in the liffey and look for dublin's culture.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #14
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
well i like the "amreicans"

and im guessing "furtherest" would get no points in scrabble.

go build a hole in the liffey and look for dublin's culture.
I can honestly say I have no idea what you are talking about Timee. Please use a spell check before you post next time or get someone from Dublin to look over your spelling, because it was very confusing attempting to work out what you were trying your best to say. I don’t mean to be harsh, but I feel I should tell you (solely for your own benefit and no amusement of my own) that most of the world spells it 'americans' as apposed to ''amreicans'' and say 'farthest' instead of ''furtherest''. Don’t worry though, it's your fault that the highest education a dweller of the Irish periphery can obtain is a primary school cert and a pitch fork …you are still qualified enough to be a minister… and I believe if you can borrow a tie they’ll let you become Taoiseach.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

I actualy don't really believe in any country . . .

. . . except Nutopia (and no it's not a joke)
Old 06-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
I can honestly say I have no idea what you are talking about Timee. Please use a spell check before you post next time or get someone from Dublin to look over your spelling, because it was very confusing attempting to work out what you were trying your best to say. I don’t mean to be harsh, but I feel I should tell you (solely for your own benefit and no amusement of my own) that most of the world spells it 'americans' as apposed to ''amreicans'' and say 'farthest' instead of ''furtherest''. Don’t worry though, it's your fault that the highest education a dweller of the Irish periphery can obtain is a primary school cert and a pitch fork …you are still qualified enough to be a minister… and I believe if you can borrow a tie they’ll let you become Taoiseach.
i was merely pointing and laughing at your hideous mistakes.
i find it funny that you corrected them.
and not that it concerns me but do you think that solid education leads to a better quality of life?? patrick kavanagh could handle a pitchfork
Old 06-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #17
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

this is a handbags at dawn type of thread

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #18
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

I'd been singing it as "leave it!" oh well! I interperet it as bleeding a relationship dry in the metaphorical sense.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
carvinC980t_kid
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyaway
I'd been singing it as "leave it!" oh well! I interperet it as bleeding a relationship dry in the metaphorical sense.
he says both. he says "bleed it" at one point and "leave it" at another. if you look up the lyrics on this site you understand : ) cheers
Old 06-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #20
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
i was merely pointing and laughing at your hideous mistakes.
i find it funny that you corrected them.
and not that it concerns me but do you think that solid education leads to a better quality of life?? patrick kavanagh could handle a pitchfork
yeah, i know i get it...i was laughing at my mistakes too...for like three mins after i saw you pointed it out actually...i can be such a blonde dumbass at times.... and i was by being ironic and sarcastic and all...you know like quite obviously i am the one who should use spell check and obviously then i did (capital letters and all) see irony...thats humourous..haha..ha? no? wasnt funny? should have stopped after the carpet then? oh well.

i was just having a laugh didnt mean to offend. sorry. (personally i wana live in the west iof ireland when i'm older...honest...im not really pro Dublin or anything...my da's from a farm in meath...never been that patriotic either...got carried away)

about the patrick kavanagh tho...he was a bitter lonely man most of his life who thought he was 'better' then most women and was obsessed with masturbation (its all in his poetry if ya look)...so he wasnt exactly a happy bunny...however Heaney is a good irish poet who had a country upbringing and he is very happily married and all...so maybe he is a better example....i dont know who’s side i'm on anymore...im very tired...i should probably be asleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
this is a handbags at dawn type of thread
whats a handbag at dawn

Last edited by hbhdaem; 06-15-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #21
Timeé
Intello

^ i didnt say that

but erm yeah i hear heaney is a crazy swearer.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 PM   #22
hbhdaem
eskimo hippie

oopsies...there now it says 'revelate' not 'timee'