Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #91
rjc
Eskimo Baby

Last night was special...the best gig I have ever been to. Better than his shows years ago in Vicar St with Lisa.
I have never felt such raw emotion in a venue. The place was spellbound. The most amazing thing was the positivity.. the new songs are about redemption. how beautiful a thing is that?
rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #92
owenv123
Eskimo Baby

Ah sure we can catch up again! Sounds like a crazy evening! Just remembered Damien did an off the cuff song about hearing everyone's requests but playing whatever he wants, yet in a very tongue in cheek way!
owenv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #93
lod
Eskimo Regular

Ah yes..Il play what I want... Then this is going nowhere so he stopped.. I'd love to have heard how many lines he could have spontaneously made up.. God I'd love to see the whole gig all over again.. Was a mad night after but it's the gig i keep thinking of..was mesmerising seeing him up so close and personal.. We can have a dissect the gig outing :-D
lod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #94
verenita
... trusty and true ...

it´s really hard for me to write a few lines about yesterday. it was such a personal journey for me... i´m still in sort of this trance that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable (not in a bad way though) that started from the moment that i bought the cd on saturday.

i had the privilege to see damien playing in his homeland and i could witness that it was special... i pressume for many more reasons that i can think of. i don´t think he was especially happy or super chatty... for me, being a foreigner, was like the audience sort of saying "ok, mr., do your thing" on one side, and damien thinking "ok, you irish, do your thing" on the other... and it felt like a silent agreement to enjoy themselves, to give and recieve in equal messure. i´m so sorry for the rambling and for being disjointed... my soul is still shaking and my mind can´t think straight.

i won´t say he didn´t miss a band or that he didn´t feel he needed a band becaue i have no clue... but i can say, from what i got last night, that he brillantly sorted the lack of. the lights (blindly bright alright!) and the pedal were perfect companions for me that added more intensity to the moment and made it go further and deeper.

he asked for requests and i thought for a second of shouting "sand", but as i said i didn´t want to risk a disappointment, so no sand but everybody celebrated the professor that much that i felt happy for the election.

i loved when he improved this thing about playing songs and also when he joked (because people were requesting for specific songs), close the first end, "(play) everything, just don´t leave"

as some said, trusty and true was something else, with this guy ronan (he does feel the music!) and the choir... beautiful finale.

i would have loved to get long long way, with this repetitive chanting "not enough" that transports me every time i listen to the song, but i was happy with the set list anyway. and it felt sublime to see him feeling every song. i think he has improved the falsetto in some songs and his voice was supreme! at least to me. the gig last nigth has made me love mfff even more and feel it even deeper. someone mentioned a full standing ovation... wow! that was the perfect ending and says it all!

i sincerely apologize for the way i´m posting this. it probably doesn´t make any sense at all... i just wanted to share some of what´s running through my head, even though it´s hard to put in words. many of you have lived the experience of seeing him live recently and some of you will have it shortly, so i´m possitive that you might get me a bit

an extra highlight... bumping into emmett and wheels in case you haven´t noticed, i adore you guys
Old 11-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #95
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

here's a nice photo gallery
https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_th...57649065668896
Old 11-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #96
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva_arg View Post
thank you!
conanemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 AM   #97
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
i sincerely apologize for the way i´m posting this. it probably doesn´t make any sense at all... i just wanted to share some of what´s running through my head, even though it´s hard to put in words. many of you have lived the experience of seeing him live recently and some of you will have it shortly, so i´m possitive that you might get me a bit
You expressed yourself authentically and beautifully. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #98
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks i wouldn´t say "beautifully" but i don´t know other way than "authentically".

from sort of an objetive perpective, if possible, i went with a friend of mine who barely knew him and had listened to his songs and she ended up being "flattened" (thanks jupitecrash for this word!), also in the best way possible. she weeped while listening to some of the songs, she loved the stories (all new to her), she was amazed by the way damien made us be part of volcano and she could barely speak after the show, just felt moved! we walked to her house almost in silence, but both of us being modified for what we´d just experienced.

this maybe gives you a better idea of how intense and powerful the whole thing was... it wasn´t the first time i saw him live (yes, i´m very lucky!) and i even welcomed him in my hometown (beyond words!), but this gig was something else... almost unreal... except that it was real!

i think the fact that there´re no many pics (except for those from official press) and only two or three videos also says a bit about the intimacy of the gig despite the size of the venue (which was much better and nicer than i though it would be).

oh! i´m listening the cd that has arrived yesterday (to check it´s not damaged) and now it´s palying IDWTCY... i love the live and acoustic version much better! it gives to the song a new and more profound meaning to me.

Last edited by verenita; 11-05-2014 at 11:40 AM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #99
glo32
Eskimo Regular

hey vere, thanks for sharing those thoughts!
so glad that you guys enjoyed the show... I didn't have much time to check the videos on youtube but definitely can't wait to see the video for Trusty and True with Ronan...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #100
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i only found two + i remember posted here... but i really suck at searching.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #101
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
so no one was shouting crazy requests?
i´m just reading some of the posts (trying to get back to my senses)... marti, would you believe the most requested one was the professor? also amie, coconut skins (i so love that song and was so happy to had it). so he played the professor... and it was of the most live versions that i´ve heard so far. and everyone was really happy and thrilled he played it, so fair enough.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #102
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling At Your Feet View Post
You can listen yourself here:
http://www.todayfm.com/player/shows/...cy_Show_Part_1

The 2 minute Damien rice bit, starts at 18:58.
ray! i love listening to this guy (love his accent, he)... he was totally blown minded, saying "he is a genious" as statement that nobody could argue against (or with, don´t know the right preposition ).

that version of TBD doesn´t make any just to the song... but the cello makes it up beautifully... that cello breaks my heart into thousand pieces!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #103
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
it´s really hard for me to write a few lines about yesterday. it was such a personal journey for me... i´m still in sort of this trance that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable (not in a bad way though) that started from the moment that i bought the cd on saturday.

i had the privilege to see damien playing in his homeland and i could witness that it was special... i pressume for many more reasons that i can think of. i don´t think he was especially happy or super chatty... for me, being a foreigner, was like the audience sort of saying "ok, mr., do your thing" on one side, and damien thinking "ok, you irish, do your thing" on the other... and it felt like a silent agreement to enjoy themselves, to give and recieve in equal messure. i´m so sorry for the rambling and for being disjointed... my soul is still shaking and my mind can´t think straight.

i won´t say he didn´t miss a band or that he didn´t feel he needed a band becaue i have no clue... but i can say, from what i got last night, that he brillantly sorted the lack of. the lights (blindly bright alright!) and the pedal were perfect companions for me that added more intensity to the moment and made it go further and deeper.

he asked for requests and i thought for a second of shouting "sand", but as i said i didn´t want to risk a disappointment, so no sand but everybody celebrated the professor that much that i felt happy for the election.

i loved when he improved this thing about playing songs and also when he joked (because people were requesting for specific songs), close the first end, "(play) everything, just don´t leave"

as some said, trusty and true was something else, with this guy ronan (he does feel the music!) and the choir... beautiful finale.

i would have loved to get long long way, with this repetitive chanting "not enough" that transports me every time i listen to the song, but i was happy with the set list anyway. and it felt sublime to see him feeling every song. i think he has improved the falsetto in some songs and his voice was supreme! at least to me. the gig last nigth has made me love mfff even more and feel it even deeper. someone mentioned a full standing ovation... wow! that was the perfect ending and says it all!

an extra highlight... bumping into emmett and wheels in case you haven´t noticed, i adore you guys
Loved reading your thoughts, Ver. I'm so happy that you had this experience.

Thanks for the reviews everyone!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #104
lod
Eskimo Regular

Does anyone else feel the need to talk to everyone they meet about Damien? About his new album about being at his gig, about how amazing he is?? Or.. Am I just a bit obsessive! :-o
Old 11-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #105
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitercrash View Post

The end of "The Professor" lightened things a little further before "Cannonball" and "Colour Me In" cloaked the place in darkness again. The introduction to "Colour Me In" was interesting. He spoke about cleaning a pot after burning soup, starting scrubbing with hands, then with a brillo pad and then resorting to using a screwdriver before giving up. I had thought that there was hope in this song that “colour me in” was a call to someone to help add lightness & colour to life, but this intro would suggest otherwise. More of a “I’ve given up trying to find myself, or trying to find someone who won’t try to change me – so **** it, colour me in whatever way you want”. This is probably way off, but it’s an interpretation of a song that he himself gave up trying to explain just after he performed it. He said, “It’s not about making soup, it’s about….” pause “… ah, **** it….”. Or something like that!
I thought there was hope in it, too. Not so much that someone can add lightness or color, but that one's ability to love another could add color. Like I tried control, denial, all these things, love my freedom and being alone, but that my ability to love brings me brightness.

Although the song doesn't come from that intent, it could go there one day for him (and all of us with intimacy issues)! Why I love the song!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #106
jupitercrash
Nothing is lost...

Quote:

Thanks so much, Ver, for sharing your experience. "Trance" was the first word I uttered to my friend after the gig!

Couldn't agree more about "Long Long Way", it's a spiritual piece of music.
jupitercrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:10 AM   #107
lod
Eskimo Regular

http://m.independent.ie/entertainmen...-30719356.html
Review of dublin gig
Old 11-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #108
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

^^Interesting read! Thank you for sharing. I didn't realize he was so maligned.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #109
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitercrash View Post
Thanks so much, Ver, for sharing your experience. "Trance" was the first word I uttered to my friend after the gig!
well, it was pretty much it, wasn´t it? btw, i borrowed your "flattened" word

seeing your quote of my post and, man... i did write quite much! i thought they were just a few sentences... part of the trance, i suppose.

thanks for the link, lod. i´ve been searching for reviews, pics and vids and i didn´t come across to anything new... but i´m terrible at searching!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #110
lod
Eskimo Regular

Well being in Dublin and the album just being released means he's getting a fair bit of media coverage here. The home page has the Irish times article ( with the trocaire box reference) which I'm sure u've seen...Pity we didn't get to meet at the gig, where did u fly in from!? was just thinking if he's gonna be at other voices, he'l Prob be around for his usual busking session on grafton st at Christmas!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #111
lod
Eskimo Regular

When u say maligned it's the the same way irish people often say they dislike bono and that's he's a gob****e... But they are proud underneath that he is irish.. Irish people often would find someone like Damien self indulgent.. In the sense of " what does he know bout hardship, he's a bloody millionaire who never did a days hard work etc....that type of thing... So that is what I think it means in this context. He's a bit like marmite, you either love him or hate him...Me?? Obviously I LOVE him..and he can be as self analytical and indulgent as he likes as long as he continues producing beautiful music!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #112
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for elaborating. Makes sense. It's kind of like family that wants to keep you humble and remind you where you come from.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:56 AM   #113
Vicko
Eskimo Baby

Finally just home Linda and thx so much for contributing to what was for us (Chloe and I ), an experience in Ireland culminating in an extraordinary concert and dramatic evening. An evening that just kept on giving hehe. Im not into over analyzing things, but for me "Trusty and True" with Ronan and the choir, wow, what a truly fitting climax to an awesome concert. I was totally absorbed by that finale. Its all I can think about, even 4 days later. What a special concert it was, and Im of the firm belief that seeing a musician in his homeland is worth that extra effort, and so it turned out to be.
The quality of a country is measured in many ways, and for me the genuine warmth and friendliness of its people is an important gauge. Thx Owen and Linda for meeting up with us and making the start of the evening special. And Linda especially for the evening after the concert and showing us around Dublin long into the night. Maybe if DR has another concert in Dublin sometime in the near future, we'll meet up again and make an even better night of it. Take care and love to you all.

Last edited by Vicko; 11-07-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Vicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #114
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod View Post
Pity we didn't get to meet at the gig, where did u fly in from!? was just thinking if he's gonna be at other voices, he'l Prob be around for his usual busking session on grafton st at Christmas!!!

i´m living in dublin (sort of... i´m more like a homeless gypsy at the moment) but i was waiting for my friend, so we got straigth to the venue...

i wouldn´t raise my hopes on xmas busking this year, though it would be amazing... i could bet on trusty and true

Last edited by verenita; 11-07-2014 at 11:36 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #115
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
gob****e...
love (!!!) this word!
Old 11-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #116
lod
Eskimo Regular

IThe quality of a country is measured in many ways, and for me the genuine warmth and friendliness of its people is an important gauge. Thx Owen and Linda for meeting up with us and making the start of the evening special. And Linda especially for the evening after the concert and showing us around Dublin long into the night. Maybe if DR has another concert in Dublin sometime in the near future, we'll meet up again and make an even better night of it. Take care and love to you all.[/quote]

Thanks for Vincent for your kind words. It was an incredible gig and night, and like you said just kept giving!!!!! I have a feeling he'l be playing in the summer again so best to get saving!! I only wish ye had had one more night to come hear my pal Brian playing.. He's an incredible musician too,would have been fun.. Next time :-D glad you home safely, wonder how many artists can get fans to travel across the world to see them:-D

Last edited by lod; 11-07-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #117
lod
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
love (!!!) this word!
Lol..oh us dubs have some good aul curses alright, must teach you some ;-)
Old 11-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #118
lod
Eskimo Regular

An evening that just kept on giving hehe. Im not into over analyzing things, but for me "Trusty and True" with Ronan and the choir, wow, what a truly fitting climax to an awesome concert. I was totally absorbed by that finale. Its all I can think about, even 4 days later.

Me too Vincent ..if you get a chance listen to KILA, Ronán's band..lots of people THINK they can play a bodhrán,but it isn't till you have seen it played like that night you realise what a skill it is,and how it can add that distinct irish beat to a song.
It was spectacular that finale

Last edited by lod; 11-07-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #119
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Lol..oh us dubs have some good aul curses alright, must teach you some ;-)

hehe, i know a few (worked with irish people for two years), but i´d definitely love to
Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #120
Hillah
Eskimo Baby

Is there a recording/video of Trusty & true from this performance somewhere?
Hillah is offline   Reply With Quote