We areEskimo Friends afterall... [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 01:50 PM   #32
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

no magnus is one of the good guys!
Old 04-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #33
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I think there is only one person posting that sh*te.. I just read a review of the show here and they make no mention of any such comments.. There are many americans who do not support Bush and are not religious, he certainly does not speak for all americans.. What an idiot!! [img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img] Edited by: jbalogh

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 04-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #34
marloes
Eskimo Regular

I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a second here: I think I would probably also be seriously annoyed if I went to a concert and this foreign artist would be slagging off everything I believed in.

So even if I do not agree with this guy's views and his attitude towards Damien, I can sort of understand his "mild irritation" That said, he could have been motre tactful and more clear about what exactly it was Damien said that annoyed him so much.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #35
-oli
Band Member

did anyone else expect magnus' post to end with somethin like "only kidding, you loser."[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

...no, just me
Old 04-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #36
Louise
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #37
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Well we really shouldn't comment on this until someone comes up with a transcript of what Damien allegedly said. If he made a comment about the Catholic Church (and it seems that was who he was referring to IF he said anything) then he is certainly in a position to comment in an informed manner considering the recent history of this country (and I'm guessing that if Damien was brought up in a church it would have been RC, its statistically likely, he was educaterd in a school called Salacians and Me, My Yoke and I smacks of "Catholic guilt").
Old 04-10-2004, 02:11 PM   #38
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Ian did you read the review.. I think they would have jumped on any comments Damien made that seemed offensive don't you.. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
Old 04-10-2004, 02:14 PM   #39
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Just read it, yeah you're right.

In fact it mentions anti-terrorist sentiment.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #40
-oli
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien addict

I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a second here

i'm sorry, nothin to do with this thread, but i love it when people say that. i laugh and i laugh, remembering a simpson's episode were homer says this and then goes to the kwik-e-mart and play the arcade game called "the devil's advocate"[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

the simpsons makes me cry with laughter sometimes (all times)

but anyway...back to the grrrrr [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]angry[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]negative posts

(i said grrrr[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img])
Old 04-10-2004, 02:18 PM   #41
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

(From the Indystar) "Rice walked onstage sporting a mohawk reminiscent of Travis Bickle of "Taxi Driver." [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]sounds like he is cutting his hair again [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #42
marina
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twr59

I am talking about an Irish outsiders Rice and the Frames coming into my USA, the greatest country in the world, and bashing my President and my Church when we simply came to watch a musical performance. He makes over the bombing of Iraq but did not mention September 11, duh, must have been too long ago for him to remember. And yes, I am not proud of a handful of Priests that have tarnished a worldwide religion, but to shove that in my face at a performance I paid to see is totally uncool. I was there to hear music. If he has such a problem with this country, get the hell out, we don't need him here.

......................[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img].....oh WHATEVER!!!!
Old 04-10-2004, 02:54 PM   #43
marloes
Eskimo Regular

I was just taking a quick look at the official message board, someone with the nick american, who i suppose is the same as Twr59, found it necessary to post 5 differentthreads about how anti-american damien is. I guess we should be lucky that we only have one to deal with[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #44
Louise
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 02:59 PM   #45
marloes
Eskimo Regular

it just goes to show this is the better board/site[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 03:06 PM   #46
marina
Eskimo Regular

true[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #47
Drunkenviking
Eskimo Baby

Is it anti-american to be against the war ?
Old 04-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #48
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Has anyone noticed that there is one member called Twr59 and one calledtw59?

Edit: Both with real name TomEdited by: Magnus
Old 04-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #49
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

I asked on the official site what exactly was said, this was posted back

Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:23 pmPost subject:

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

nothing much was said ....the frames cracked on bush's mom before singing "god bless mom"
lead singer also said he "loved america and didnt want to see it go to the dogs"
he didn make a joke about ET and prodestants. i didnt really catch it though.
it wasnt offensive (at least to me) . he was a nice guy - who i had the opportunity to chat with after the show.

damien on the other hand didnt even say anything until 10 songs into the concert.
then he mumbled somthing aout masterbating as a child and how catholics say its a sin but all you ever here about is priests masturbating w/ little boys....... and then comented on all the candles on stage having pictures of the crucifix on em. he then said after another song or two - " i caught a bad vibe from you guys after mentioning Jesus....its a touching subject, and i dont want you to get hte wrong idea... i think Jesus was a very important and beautiful person and revolutionary.....and i dont think he wants us in IRAQ. " in which everyone clapped. nothing was said that was offensive.... i belive in freedom of speech and i happened to agree with this speech.
Edited by: jbalogh

Old 04-10-2004, 04:36 PM   #50
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Thank you Julia (and the one being quoted)! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #51
Mario
Eskimo Regular

From what I hear, Damien made some comments after playing "Lonely Soldier."

Damien needs to stop offending his audience. Its one thing to tell them to shutup, its another to voice idiotic political views. And "Jesus wouldn't want us in Iraq" is an idiotic political view.

You guys have facts way wrong. First off, Saddam Hussein was the financial supporter of the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center. And he was a terrorist supporter. He contributed a lot of the money that gets paid to the families of people who commit suicide bombings in Israel.

He also repeatedly provoked the international community. As it seems now, he didn't have any nuclear weapons. So, then, why wouldn't he let UN inspectors into the country to look for them, and resolve things diplomatically, end the embargos against food to his country, etc.? He was a dictator who slaughtered an entire race of people in his country (The Kurds) and tortured and killed others on whim. This is the sort of thing, if you really want to mix religion and politics, Jesus would be in favor of ending.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:54 PM   #52
tw59
Eskimo Baby

I felt a need for one more post because of Magnus way of dealing with my displeasure. I respect people that respect others views and beliefs.

As I calm down I will say Damien plays great music, my wife and I would have had a splendid Easter weekend if he had only done that. But Rice spoke of when he was a boy how he feared masterbation because Catholic Priest had taught him how evil it was, but later found out that the Catholic Priest were actully masterbating with the boys at other times. He then spoke over lit candles on the stage and explained how he doesn't know Jesus very well, but he seemed to be an interesting fellow, quite a revolutionary he said. He then said he felt that Jesus probably would not approve of the bombing of Iraq. My points are:

I am a practicing Catholic who enjoys good music, how can I enjoy a show like that? Believe me, us Catholics are aware of our problems and receive criticism from everyday media, can't we ever get away from it?

How could anyone speak for Christ on Good Friday of all days? No living being can represent Christ, nor talk down to him as in rating him as a person.

And as far as the bombing of Iraq, Bush gave Sadam plenty of notice to give up power before he went in.
Sadam and his sons were rulers who would put human beings in tree limb shredders and gas vast numbers of people.

I believe Rice should have freedom of speech, but so do I. So if I have disturbed this friendly site, I am sorry, but what about my Easter weekend. It seemed that Rice and The Frames intentionly tried to piss off a large percentage of that audience. I am finished now and will not return, but why did Rice need to ambush us during such a beatiful performance. I have seen the Rolling Stones, Led Zepplen, and Pink Floyd.
All were great shows that came to us from over the ocean, and I realize that some of those band members will have differing views from mine, but the didn't sh*t em in my lap while I was trying to enjoy their music.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #53
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Twr59 / tw59 said that he would not return, but if you everget the chance to read this Tom, I would just like to thank you for posting that last message. It is appreciated.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:16 PM   #54
kellykatherine
Eskimo Friend

Being a Catholic and a Damien fan I found nothing offensive in what was said at the Indianapolis concert. I found the show to be quite entertaining and although Damien has differing views then some of the audience members, one has to admit that he is an amazing musician and that is really all it is about. If comments were made about another religion, would anyone be as offended? Probably not. Pick your battles... this isn't one to fight over.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:21 PM   #55
raynee21
Eskimo Baby

I too was at the Indy show last night Twr59. there was nothing that damien said that wasnt true. Maybe you should have listened to the music before you decided to go see a show, especially since you obviously had no idea who he was or what his music is about.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #56
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Mario, nobody here had ANY facts wrong.

Saddam WAS A DICTATOR, we ALL agree that he was evil and cruel.

What I and others said was that Saddam had NO CONNECTION to 911... I stand by that.

Tom... well I think you were over-sensitive. I too am catholic and I found nothing wrong with what Damien said. You said you felt he was attacking you because of recent scandals in the Church in the US... I think you'll find he was referring to scandals in OUR country... it was not an attack on America.

Damien saying Jesus would not agree with bombing Iraq... how can you argue that. Jesus was non-violent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw59

No living being can represent Christ, nor talk down to him as in rating him as a person.
Firstly... doesn't the Pope represent Christ on earth?

Secondly, Jesus WAS a person... he became man... that is the whole point of Easter. He became man suffered and died for us.

You don't speak for all Catholics.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #57
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Damien needs to stop offending his audience. Its one thing to tell them to shutup, its another to voice idiotic political views. And "Jesus wouldn't want us in Iraq" is an idiotic political view.
I note that you feel this way Mario, but I don't agree with you. It is in fact in my opinion arrogant of you to call Damien's feelings and ("stupid political") opinions a way of "offending his audience" just like that."Jesus wouldn't want us in Iraq"has not even necessarily got to be seen as a "political view" -It can also simply be seen as Damien's way of telling how he is fed up with the double set of morals that are being executed. However I can see a point inwhat the original poster's said here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw59
How could anyone speak for Christ on Good Friday of all days? No living being can represent Christ, nor talk down to him as in rating him as a person.
I don't consider myself as a believer and I don't think Damien was totally out of line by saying what he felt about it, but I think I canquite well understand the frustration something like this might cause to a believer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
This is the sort of thing, if you really want to mix religion and politics, Jesus would be in favor of ending.
By this I feel that you are insinuating that Jesus would have dealed with the problems in the same way as the United States. I am not sure if I can fully understand what you mean by that when I look at the rest of your post. Are you saying that Jesus would have wanted to solve the problems ina similar (violent) way? Also: Didn't you in a way "represent" Jesus right there? Double set of morals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykatherine
If comments were made about another religion, would anyone be as offended? Probably not. Pick your battles... this isn't one to fight over.
I believe you are wrong here. I am of the impression that there are some people withinalmostevery religious or political directionthatwould be reactinga lot more intolerantlyas a respond tocritisismof what they believe in. There are many people who are extremely eager to defend theirvery strong religious or political beliefs or opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynee21
Maybe you should have listened to the music before you decided to go see a show, especially since you obviously had no idea who he was or what his music is about.
I am of the impression that this guy and his wife actually did listen to the music before they went to the show - and by what they had heard (presumably from the album 'O') had made some thoughts of what they thought they would be hearing live. It isnot an outrageous thing to expect that Damien Rice's music would livesound like it does on the record andI don'texpect everyone to listen to live recordings before they go to a gig, just to make sure they know what the gig will be like. I believe that while manylike the live shows and the sound of the band live better than the studio recordings, there are others whodon't and who perhaps get a bit dissapointed with the more electric sound and alternative versions of the songs.That Twr59 / tw59 did not have an "idea who he [Damien] was or what his music is about" could in some way be true. I know that I would not consider myself one who "knows" Damien or "who he is" and I believe that music (especially music like this) "is about" whatever the listener wants it to be about.

I understand how most of you feel the way you do about these things, but I just felt a need to make some comments on what has been said here. I felt that perhaps some of you had been talking atcross porposes and that the posts here have been a bit one sided.

I am looking forward to the replys to this one and can barely wait till I get back later! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]Take care.

Edit: Spelling and some grammar.Edited by: Magnus
Old 04-10-2004, 06:34 PM   #58
tw59
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien addict

I was just taking a quick look at the official message board, someone with the nick american, who i suppose is the same as Twr59, found it necessary to post 5 different*threads about how anti-american damien is. I guess we should be lucky that we only have one to deal with[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]*
Old 04-10-2004, 06:35 PM   #59
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Tom from the US...why do you blame it on Damo and not on the f**king, brainless and disgusting Germans?

Like Wheels said: you're over-sensitive. Damo is one very brave fecker with loads of balls and even if you not agree with his opinion about the US regime, you should respect him for having a (maybe?!) more objective view voiced in a country, where freedom and individual opinions are set in a lower case. That's a fact.

"If all men would be girls, there'd be no more wars..."
Edited by: Hendrik
Old 04-10-2004, 06:35 PM   #60
tw59
Eskimo Baby

no, tw59 is not nick american give us both our say
Closed Thread