Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 04-09-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

Hey everyone, I'm new here so I'm not sure if this has been talked about before but...

I was directed to a self harm website last week for some bizarre reason (I don't self harm or condone it btw) and there was a list of songs and bands that were "bands to slit your wrists too" which is kind of scary...anyway...I was telling my friend about this, and she is quite self centred and ignorant to begin with (at times) and she came out with (knowing I was a massive fan as I never shut up about him) "you know who makes me want to kill myself...Damien Rice, he is so boring and depressing" that was an obvious swipe at me which kind of made me angry, she hasn't even heard anything from him!! ALSO...I was listening to The Blowers Daughter not too long ago and someone said that they thought it was very depressing!

Ok but I'm sorry but The Blowers Daughter is like the most beautiful thing I have ever heard....hell Damiens music overall is like the most beautiful thing I've ever heard! How can you find something so beautiful depressing? Also Just because it isn't fast, distorted or has a million guys rapping over it or has a funky ringtone or tastes of Vodka doesn't mean his music is boring ...it annoys me!

Anyway, back on topic!! I've heard a few people say that Damien's musicis depressing, I personally believe it is the opposite and that it is beautiful and inspiring! But I was wondering what others thought? Do you find some songs depressing? (or even boring?) Or are you on similar thinking as me? Or something else?

Or am I just talking out of my ass because it's 1am? ...Anyway what does everyone else think on the idea of Damien being depressing?

End of Rant [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 12:18 AM   #2
Magnus
Eskimo Regular

I agree with you cheese! I don't either find Damien's music depressing. It is just beautiful! [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
unexplainedmuse
Eskimo Regular

there are quite a few songs of damiens i could consider depressing.

prague, insane, cheers darling.

but the thing about damiens music with me, is that it brings out so many different emotions..

its not just plain old sadness, its strength, its love, its hate, its just a tidal wave of different feelings, that when mixed together i cannot explain at all.

as for the songs being beautiful...yes...yes they are...amazingly beautiful..

but i tend to think the more somber songs are more beautiful than the upbeat ones..

i dont know exactly why...but i think its the most gorgeous thing in the world to be able to feel like absolute crap..

but to be able to transform those feelings into art..

but the overlying sadness is still there..

chin up...they may only see depression...but we see the beauty behind it!

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

It depends what mood you are in, if you are depressed then music will tend to compound that. If you are happy, music will tend to accentuate (sp?) that. Your interpretation is based on your current state of mind.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

I totally agree with all of you and couldn't have put it better myself [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

If I had to consider one song depressing then it would probably be Cheers Darling, but due to the topic which is quite obvious in it [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]But still I still see beauty in it no matter what mood I'm in! But I couldn't put it better than what you said unexplainedmuse [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]Listening to O has brought more emotions out in me than I recall anything ever doing to me!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:11 AM   #6
cille
creepycute

hey cheeseman - if this is you ranting i likeyour ranting!

i think another thread touched upon this, butalso think it is a good subject to discuss further, because basically this question has a lot to do why i bother to participate in a forum such as this... sort of a key issue to me.

in the other thread, someone (sorry, forgot who[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]) said that damien's music isn't depressing, it makes you feel normal - and i really agree with this! it is a way to feel truely alive with all the pain and anger AND pleasure and joy that life has to give. the dimensions of it makes life easier to bear, like, compared to music that only focus on the 'happy-happy' sides of life - this can make me feel very depressed and empty(think i wrote something similar in that other thread).

actually, i think i heard that people who hurt themselves also do that to feel 'normal' or just to feel something - maybe damiens music can have a bit of the same effect. i think the difference is that cutting yourself is destructive, whereas creating music, as i e. damien and the band does, and listening to it is more of a constructive thing. it can also be a way to know that you are not alone in this (sometimes) bloody old world with whatever you're feeling; it creates a sort of feeling of community, even if your family or friends don't understand your feelings. i am guessing that hurting yourself is more of a secret, personal and shameful thing, but really i wouldn't know cause luckily i have never felt the need to cut myself.

i am addicted, though. to great music. actually i think hypothetically i could've killed myself if ihadn't had great music and indeed great lyrics in my life. sometimes 'dark' music can make the lighter sides of life more... present. like. it can be sort of cathartic to give way to such emotions. because they do exist. ignoring those emotions is something that can really make you suicidal or destructive. at least that's what i think.

well, that was me rambling.*sigh*, gosh, a lot of unclear sentences here. found it really hard to express my feelings on this; they seem to belong to a place in me where no wordsare any good. especially not in english...[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]oh well, hope you understood some of it at least...
Old 04-09-2004, 01:13 AM   #7
cille
creepycute

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]it took me so long writing that rambling reply that these 4 other messages got there before me... well, i got involved, what can i say [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #8
cheese
Daisy of the Galaxy

Cille just like the rest you couldn't have put it any better in my opinion if you tried [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

I have to agree with Damiens music making you feel Normal, it can mess with the emotions and kind of makes you realise how human you are! I think that music is a great way of letting out emotions, I am biased as my life is music so to speak, I mean if I'm not playing guitar or writing songs, I'm either listening to or talking about musicians that I admire etc! It moulds me as a person in a way, as you said Cille darker music can often make things brighter for you in a way and also with a lot of music, Damien being the biggest example, I relate to and it often helps me in situations.

I don't really know what to say, I cant really top you guys [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]I know what you mean though Cille when you talk about words not being enough to describe what you are trying to get across [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercille
well, that was me rambling.*sigh*, gosh, a lot of unclear sentences here. found it really hard to express my feelings on this; they seem to belong to a place in me where no wordsare any good. especially not in english...[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]oh well, hope you understood some of it at least...

well lordy i'm english and i don't think i could have expressed myself anywhere near as good as you!!! if that was rambling and unclear, i'd really like to see what you could have written on top form!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna
well lordy i'm english and i don't think i could have expressed myself anywhere near as good as you!!! if that was rambling and unclear, i'd really like to see what you could have written on top form!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]well, thanks vienna[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]gosh, nice of you to say so. guess i would just have like to be more concise or something.[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]well, my ego's very pleased now, i can tell you...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #11
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna

[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]well, thanks vienna[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]gosh, nice of you to say so. guess i would just have like to be more concise or something.[img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]well, my ego's very pleased now, i can tell you...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

oh it's a pleasure!!! i'm pleased that your ego is pleased!!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:49 PM   #12
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

My sig sez it for me, the poeple hu find it depressing choose to let music tear them apart
Old 04-09-2004, 08:54 PM   #13
celia
Eskimo Regular

it annoys me when people say the music I listen to is depressing. It just has emotion and beauty, it has the creative power that appeals to me.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:52 AM   #14
cneill
eskimo hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unexplainedmuse

but the thing about damiens music with me, is that it brings out so many different emotions..

its not just plain old sadness, its strength, its love, its hate, its just a tidal wave of different feelings, that when mixed together i cannot explain at all.

as for the songs being beautiful...yes...yes they are...amazingly beautiful..

but i tend to think the more somber songs are more beautiful than the upbeat ones..

i dont know exactly why...but i think its the most gorgeous thing in the world to be able to feel like absolute crap..

but to be able to transform those feelings into art..

but the overlying sadness is still there..

chin up...they may only see depression...but we see the beauty behind it!

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Well said. Nothing more needed here.
cneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #15
northstar
Eskimo Baby

Ok, I don't intend to seem rude here but it makes me wonder if those who comment on Damien's music as being depressing are just a little to shallow to see the depth of beauty. The majority of great songs are pretty melancholy and bitter sweet, save for a few fell good tracks. I think we need these songs to help us realise that as alone we may feel in a situation someone else out there went throught the same thing and came out the other end.

Blower's Daugher was difficult for Damien to write, so I read in an interview. It wasperhaps some sort of deep release. Very personal to him and also very personal to us who listen. I love the song, it means alot having shareda similar experience. But I guess now I'm passed that situation it feels good to listen to. Had I still been in the situation, perhaps it would be a different story.

We chose to make off songs what we will given our situation and mood. People hook on to a certian songoften end up connectingit to bad times everytime they hear it. I would never want to hate hearing a Rice song for that reason. But then Damiensometimes ends his lyrics with a hint of optimism....until I find somebody new....

I guess what all this really amounts to is returning to the start of my post....music is to you what you choose to make it, and if someone tries to undermind you by saying something you love is insignificant and depressing, justfeel sorry they are perhaps so shallow they miss out on the beauty of it all.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #16
marina
Eskimo Regular

beautiful music, just beautiful [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 11:03 AM   #17
cille
creepycute

hehe, and we're the deep beautiful people who can appreciate deep beautiful music[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #18
marina
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 05:04 PM   #19
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

yet again cille has so eloquently summed up so many peoples feelings on this matter.......
Old 04-14-2004, 05:36 PM   #20
*sue*
Eskimo Baby

i think that music can bring out emotions and memories within you, if you are feeling sad bout something and you hear a song reminding you of that something then you will naturally feel sad. but it can work both ways so....what i'm trying to say is that music wont make you feel anything that wasnt there already.
*sue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:06 PM   #21
deeferdog
Eskimo Friend

I agree, my best friend doesn't like me listening to Damien Rice in our flat because she thinks it is too depressing which makes me angry. The spectrum of human emotion ranges from positive to negative and if you purposefully cut yourself off from the negative then you have then you can't fully appreciate the more positive things in life, it's all relative. The is also beauty and depth in the negative (maybe even more so). And to say that listening to music like Damien Rice causes people to cause self-harm is just riduculous, maybe people who self-harm enjoy listening to this type of music, but it's not a causal relationship. It just reminded me of the film Bowling for Columbine, where people are so afraid and anxious to maintain the satus quo that they will attribute deviant behaviour to anything that they don't agree with because it helps them sleep easier at night, like in the case of Columbine, when people blamed Marilyn Manson music for the atrocity, when his music was no more of a motivation for the massacre than the fact that the 2 boys involved had been bowling that very morning. Why not blame bowling?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:37 PM   #22
miselegra
Eskimo Regular

i used to say 2 fiona that damiens music sounded depressin and i hate listenin 2 sad music....but when i saw him live for the first time i was speechless as i realised there was alot more 2 his songs and the emotions expressed in them! suppose ur opinions change prettty quickly...cheese u should bring ur friend 2 a gig, worked 4 me! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #23
Elf Wizard
Eskimo Friend

I have done somewhat of an experiment, and i've noticed my sister, all of her friends, and one of my friends hate all of Damien's music. I've come to the conclusion that they think it is depressing be cause all they ever listen to is crap, and by that I mean techno and rap.Edited by: Elf Wizard
Old 04-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #24
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

Damo's not depressin and the blowers daughter is gr8 !
4 drinks down and i just don't care,
5 in the morning,
6 stories up looking down,
7 still fighting,
8 times around but this time i wont drown!

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Donsie B! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:50 PM   #25
LemonFreshSmurf
Eskimo Baby

lol, I've heard this one before

Apparently according to my friends I listen to depressing music all the time.

Damien Rice, David Gray and Coldplay being the most used examples.

Like most of you I dont find the music depressing, but it does bring out a wealth of emotions that almost nothing else can claim to do.

Sure the music can besad, down-beat and melancholic, but never depressing. I can appreciate the music to the point where I understand it (even if I have a different interpretation than others, or what was intended) without it depressing me in any way.

My most frequent reply to the taunts is "you just dont understand it" which i always say in a tounge in cheek way [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]it amuses me anyway...lol

www.teessite.com
LemonFreshSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:52 PM   #26
Elf Wizard
Eskimo Friend

by the way, is'nt my quote a good one?

Edited by: Elf Wizard
Old 04-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #27
northstar
Eskimo Baby

The interesting thing is that a Damien gig has a great electrical, lively [img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]feel to quite a bit of the preformance, sound distortions, Vivenne playing funky ammusing tunes on the cello...allsorts going on between those great sad songs we love.

The gigs are anything but depressing, but a display of sheer musical, lyrical genius....but we all knew that!

This thread is great btw!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:27 AM   #28
cille
creepycute

hear, hear, northstar!... a damo gig can be a quite lively, amusing experience too. and quiet, and sad, and intense, and angry, and wild, and sweet, and... (y'all know what i mean i'm sure)

all in all a very life-confirming experience.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #29
northstar
Eskimo Baby

all those things cille!

Guess Damien's hold the key to expressing/projecting feeling though his music.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:06 AM   #30
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

<DIV>

to first time listeners some of the music aka. guitar cello etc sounds sad instintly makin u think depressing BUT the more u listen u hear the lyrics which cause goose bumps&amp; HAPPYtears cuz u think wow! Wat took me so long to find this powerful piece of art! Ansd wow! Im not alone on this feelin &amp;this line helps me cope and so on

I can see where the depressing comes from but i dnt agree that Damiens music is depressing but after all...

Music is a beautiful untaimed beast,
it can tear you apart if you let it
but it can also revive you when your dead inside</DIV>